Poll: Dark Knight Rises v. The Avengers

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
I'll be honest I saw this thread on Lavalit, and seeing how not everyone else here has a lavalit account, I'd figure i'll pass the torch as it were.

Marvel's movie division has had its ups-and-downs in my opinion. While Captain America(capUSA) was awsome(though I think he could use a more memorable theme), capUSA had more care given to it than some of the others, because his movie is the standing legs of the Avengers project. I'm pretty sure the Avengers movie will have some of the best writers, director(s), and producer(s) and will most likely be the best Marvel has put out. While I thought capUSA and Iron Man were gold, THIS movie will blow my socks off.

Now, onto Chistopher Nolan's "Dark Knight Rises". First off, why is it called the "Dark Knight Rises"? I think "Cape Crusader" or even "Rise of the Dark Knight" would be better titles. I think it is the studio's idea because "[...]if it has 'Dark Knight' in the title, it would sell more." Which, in itself, is not convincing because it would sell well just by having "Chistopher Nolan" on the poster. Also, I know people are going to say "[...] it's not as good as Heath Ledger's 'Dark Knight'[...]" It's going to be considered the "Return of the Jedi" of the Nolan Batman films: IT IS INEVITABLE! (As dipicted by Moviebob)

But the question is: will it be better than the Avengers? While The Avengers is the mother of all Marvel movies, hey, it's Chistipher fucking Nolan. he's the current master of psychological thriller films. Everything he makes turns to gold. So this is a tough question indeed.

What do you guys think. Make sure you at least give some info on your views. I'll occasionally post news on both movies to help you guys make a decision.

Escapists ASSEMBLE!!!

EDIT: If your decision is that both movies are equally hyped then please give a detailed reason, to convince me that it isn't just a cop-out answer. I can't change the original poll because it might erase the existing vote. Thank You.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I think that the Avengers will probably be better as it's been building up to this movie, the cast's excellent, the directors good at writing large casts of characters and we've been fed all the necessary backstory. The Dark Knight Rises despite how good it is will never outlive the hype for the last film, so even if the two films were somehow equally good in some objective manner, DKRises would seem the lesser.

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
I'm more interested in The Dark Knight Rises simply because I like Batman more than the Avengers, though to be fair I think both will be excellent films.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Why are you comparing Green Lantern to Captain America in the context of movies Marvel Studios have made? Marvel didn't make Green Lantern.

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
I think........that Green Lantern was a DC movie, not Marvel.

I'd prefer the Dark Knight, since an Avengers team with no Logan or Spider Man has no interest to me.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Avengers will be more entertaining by far, if everything it has going turns out right.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
WolfThomas said:
I think that the Avengers will probably be better as it's been building up to this movie, the cast's excellent
Samuel L Jackson.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously though, gtfo Nick Fury. Not because you're black, but because the only character you ever seem to play is mister stereotypical black man instead of serious-efficient-super-spy.

Anyway, I would say part of it's failure IS going to be that it has such a plethora of characters, having a problem keeping up with them all in a way that will please the fans. That being said, even though I am expecting Dark Knight to be far superior as a film, I'm a marvel fanboy and will look forward to the Avengers far more. I think what I love about their movies most is the cameo appearances. (Like Dugan in Captain America, even if it was minor)

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I truly don't care which is better, as an avowed comic book nerd I'll be seeing each of them around four times in the theaters... unless they somehow disappoint(knocks on some wood)

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
While i will see both films, im afraid that The Avengers may suffer the same fate as Spiderman 3 and have way too many characters. If captain america showed us anything it is if the viewers will lose interest if they hadn't seen the other movies. Plus only people who saw the movies before hand will even give a damn about the avengers. I really hoping I'm wrong and that this movie will kick complete ass. I also hope that it dosen't go the Scott Pilgram route and be really good but make no many and thus putting good people out of work.

The Dark Knight Rises has a higher chance of being better. Good cast, writers actors, and director.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I don't like the new Batman movies, so I probably won't bother seeing the new one.

Avengers though? Sure, I'll take five tickets.

...for me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Can't I enjoy both? One's going to be a dark,serious finish to a great trilogy and another is going to be an action-packed,light-hearted beginning to a ,hopefully, great series of comic-book film.

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
Nouw said:
Can't I enjoy both? One's going to be a dark,serious finish to a great trilogy and another is going to be an action-packed,light-hearted beginning to a ,hopefully, great series of comic-book film.
I'm not saying that you can only only choose to see one and not the other. The reason why I didn't put a "they both sound good, I'm seeing both" option is because one of the things I want you to think about is: which movie am I going to enjoy more in terms of personality and overall taste of movies. Though you make a valid point. Yes, both are very different, and you can have a taste for both movies. But in terms of build-up, past movie decisions, and established characters; which one are you more interested in seeing?

Also, I view the "both are good" choice to be somewhat of a cop-out. A choice to vote without really thinking of the consequences, or not wanting to start a debate. I'm not saying that you would think that, I'm saying that it's possible for someone to choose that.

Or, of course, neither movie structures or tones appeal to you, or you have political reasons not to have interest in these films. That's completely understandable. You can still not have any interest in seeing these and still buy a ticket of one or the other.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I don't care about either of them. I've never really cared too much about comic books so the Avengers doesn't really appeal to me anymore than another summer action flick. And with a title like "The Dark Knight Rises" (which is the stupidest sequel title in the history of stupid sequel titles) I could care less because if they were going to be that obscenely lazy with the title then I shudder to think about the script itself.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Stuntkid said:
You seem to convey your opposing opinions in a very cool and collected manner. I respect that greatly in someone. That aside, if I were to answer your question in paragraph 1, this is my answer.

My taste in film is as varied as my musical taste, from Megadeth to Daft Punk, but it isn't nearly as strong. It's true that I can enjoy any kind of film as long as it's good, in my opinion. Now I see these two super-hero films as simply 'dark ' or 'light.' Ultimately, I choose the former if I want to have an engaging and moving film. I choose the latter if I want to have a good time, not to think hard. Of course theses kind of films should be well-rounded, not mindless action. Transformers puts across my point nicely. It's hard to say really because I loved both film's predecessors. One has the fantastic Christian Bale and the other has the mf'ing Samuel L. Jackson. I guess I really want to answer as 'both' because that is my honest answer.

It's like comparing two completely different things and asking what are you more interested in. I like both equally in their own different ways but I can't place my interest over one and another. Kinda like asking which is better, Warhammer 40,000 or Starcraft? Both are good in their own, different way. WH40K can be funny but could never be light-hearted, in canon. IN CANON. Starcraft could rarely portray the grimdarkness of Warhammer 40,000. Sorry OP, but that's my final answer.