Poll: Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity/Race?

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Recently I was asked if I like a certain "ethnic group(Indian)" of girl. My initial reaction was sure why not, but I thought about it after and while and while I would probably not object to a casual relationship or to the bedroom, I can't see myself in a long term relationship with a different ethnic group. A fling is one thing, but taking someone down the aisle is a whole new ball game.

It might sound petty, but if you were to construct an ideal mate most people wouldn't be flipping a coin when choosing skin colour. Oh and for the nerds, no fantasy races don't count.

Edit: I'm using the adjective definition of ethnicity so it applies to race, just to clear this up as apparently there was confusion. Even tho technically race when referring to humans is really a cultural, political and economic concept in society, and it is not a biological concept.

i.e. Caucasian, Asian, Black, Hispanic etc.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Outside, mainly because I find dark hair and dark eyes very attractive whilst I don't really care much about the skin colour, it happens that those features tend to be more common in non-white people and so that's what I tend to go for.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Where's the "Ethnicity doesn't affect dating habits" option?

Captcha: you good?
Yes, I am Captcha, thanks for asking.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Outside, but it's not a strong preference. I have a large extended family, so most of the caucasian women I meet remind me of my cousins.

There are absolutely stunning members of every ethnicity, though, and I've dated black gals, white gals, and asian gals. They were all good women, and at some point you stop noticing the differences in ethnicity. You just notice the differences in personality.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I don't really date anymore, but when the people that I have been with in my life have all been caucasian. *As am I*

I agree with you, most people are attracted to their own race over other races, and people that are into other ethnic groups might have a hard time finding someone else that is also into other groups.

I am fine with most every race, some more than others, and I would most likely date anyone as long as I was into them. You are right though about the fact that if I pictured the ideal person, they would most likely be causcasion. I think because I go for people that are similar to me...yeah.

This is the same as some people are gay and some aren't it is all about preferance. I'm sure there are plenty of black girls into white booty.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Would that not depend what you mean by ethnicity?

Roma, Irish Travellers, Balts, Slavs and various other groups are all generally lumped together under "white", despite being various differences.

Likewise, "black" could refer to anyone with strong African or Indigenous Australian ancestry, and those are two very different groups.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Honestly I don't care I've gone inside and outside my race and the differences are slight. My only real complaint and I don't know how to say it without being racist so fuck it. I don't like black peoples hair. Its thick, gnarled, and makes it hard to snuggle up to someone when your being suffocated by their hair. Perhaps there is some secret that I don't know about, but it was pretty difficult to spoon with my X GF because of it.

Other than that, never really had any problems.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Well, it would seem I'm not most people.

I don't care what ethnicity a potential mate is. Just that you're hot. Ironically, when I was in junior high, I went through a phase where I didn't seem to find any guy that was my ethnicity attractive to me. And I didn't hesitate to say it. I said it to anyone who'd listen. It just didn't seem to be a big deal. But I found all the others very attractive.

Now, I've sorta outgrown that. I can find guys attractive with any type of ethnicity.

My family is relatively mixed in this thought process. But they seem to be coming around.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
thaluikhain said:

Roma, Irish Travellers, Balts, Slavs and various other groups are all generally lumped together under "white", despite being various differences.

Likewise, "black" could refer to anyone with strong African or Indigenous Australian ancestry, and those are two very different groups.
Yeah I understand what ya mean. My family is Irish-Canadian and a lot of them have a large distaste towards the Polish. Which of course, both are white. So white people can be racist towards other white people.

*I don't dislike polish people like my family, and the hatred between them is because we are a protestant Irish-Canadian family and someone in the family married a polish catholic woman. This joined our families together and the differences in the families started to show and bump heads with each other.*

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
madwarper said:

Create an ideal girl from scratch. Does she have the same skin color as you? All that is required to answer the question.
thaluikhain said:

Keep it simple, basically if most people couldn't tell if you're the same ethnicity or not than you are.

Rose and Thorn said:
Yeah I understand what ya mean. My family is Irish-Canadian and a lot of them have a large distaste towards the Polish. Which of course, both are white. So white people can be racist towards other white people.
Not nit picking here consider them the same ethnicity i.e. Caucasian

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am more attracted to the norm of certain ethnicities, but know that any ethnic group has its hotties. As for fling vs. long term relationship... it honestly wouldn't be a factor at all.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Most people tend to be attracted to what is similar to themselves which is part of why you see people of the same ethnic backgrounds together I suspect. That being said I come from a Irish heritage and my girlfriend of 6 years comes from a Chinese heritage. So ya I will likely end up with someone of a different heritage. I am happy a bit though I find Asian girls to be easily the most attractive.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
madwarper said:

Create an ideal girl from scratch. Does she have the same skin color as you? All that is required to answer the question.
thaluikhain said:

Keep it simple, basically if most people couldn't tell if you're the same ethnicity or not than you are.

Rose and Thorn said:
Not nit picking here consider them the same ethnicity i.e. Caucasian
You should probably use the word race then. Ethnicity separates people by sociological terms and culture, ie why most Poles and Americans look the same but aren't. While race separates people biologically, ie black, white, asian

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
disgruntledgamer said:
madwarper said:
I don't have any one ideal girl. So, ethnicity does not factor into it.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Lionsfan said:
You should probably use the word race then. Ethnicity separates people by sociological terms and culture, ie why most Poles and Americans look the same but aren't. While race separates people biologically, ie black, white, asian
I don't like using the term race because technically it's incorrect, different breeds of dogs are further apart than different races of humans. Different ethnicity is technically the scientifically correct term.

I find it interesting only guys are voting, they're 4 options right?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I don't prefer either. If I find the girl attractive i'd be willing to date her (providing her personality is good as well), I don't specifically go for one ethnic group, although I do admit that I very rarely, if ever find black women attractive... I don't know why.

Ethnicity doesn't matter in my "ideal girl", there are other factors that contribute to that.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
I find it interesting only guys are voting, they're 4 options right?
This site is predominantly male, so answers are always going to skew toward male answers

I don't like using the term race because technically it's incorrect, different breeds of dogs are further apart than different races of humans. Different ethnicity is technically the scientifically correct term.

Different ethnicity is not the scientifically correct term.

Ethnicity: The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition. The googled definition.

A definition from an anthropology book:

Ethnic Group: Group distinguished by cultural similarities (shared among members of that group) and differences (between that group and others); ethnic group members share beliefs, customs, and norms and, often, a common language, religion, history, geography, and kinship.

For the question you're asking (skin color), race is the correct term here. Yes, as humans we're all very similar, so it's not a different dog breed type of thing, but there are differences between the groups involving small barely noticeable things like bone growth.

Ethnicity is social, race is biological