Poll: Day-One patches...is it justifiable?

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, think it's justifiable, depending on the reasons it's used, of course. o.o I don't even really factor size into it- though of course commiserate with those who have data caps or the like- depending, again, on circumstances. Way I see it, the patch is bullshit only if it's trying to make a Bad (here meaning non-functional, crashy mess with core features missing) 'Decent' or 'Good,' i.e. stable and playable. But if they're trying to make a Good game Better, (better performance, glitch fixes, etc,) then good! Now, the argument here seems to be 'Well, Why Don't They Just Make The Game Perfect On Release?' Because, especially for the big, massive, open-world, inventory-side-activity-quest-extravaganza titles, that's just not going to happen. o.o Eeever. Witcher 3's been getting steadily improved and tweaked with patches for months, and there's STILL room for improvement; there are probably brand new bugs that were created BECAUSE of the patches, that they'll have to track down and fix in future patches. Regardless of how long they keep patching for, they'll probably stop patching before they 'fix everything.'

Of course, the difficulty in 'properly fixing' a game depends on the game itself. You might be able to get a visually simplistic, low-end shooter that literally runs down a single corridor, only has one gun, one enemy type, and a simple alive/dead state with no health bar to run 'Perfectly,' but that's largely because FAR less stuff can go wrong than with a more complex title.

But even in the case of the bad kind of Day One patches, the ones that try to fix a game that is broken without them, the existence of a Day One Patch isn't the problem. =P The problem is an industry that has so carefully planned every minute detail of its 'launch strategy,' from advertising to distribution, the closer you get TO that launch date, the less likely a publisher is to just throw everything away and start the hype train from scratch half a year later. Generally the chances of a delay are better if a game is still many, many months out, but it can be tricky to always say with certainty whether or not the game will be 'ready' by a date that's still eleven months away, because the thing about having things go wrong- which is inherently what a bug is, something going wrong, not according to plan- is it's inherently unpredictable. (There are exceptions, of course. I seriously doubt the Pro Skater 5 people DIDN'T see that shit coming.) And when you're talking about what's actually a good game- with bugs, but still stable, functional, and enjoyable- it's virtually impossible to say, six months in advance, how many bugs will remain when you go gold, because you probably haven't FOUND them yet.

Besides, you guys know that eliminating a Day One patch wouldn't actually make the games release in better quality, right? Even if a developer couldn't release a patch for, say, the first month the game was out, they'd just hold onto the patch for a month (hopefully continuing to improve it in the meantime,) and release it then. =P The only way you might make a dent in SOME of the industry's habit of post-release fixes is if you eliminated patching. All patching. Ever. Made it so the game on launch day is how the game must remain in perpetuity, and developers can't make any tweaks, improvements or fixes once it's on sale. But, y'know, that's a reeeeeaaaally bad idea. o.o

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I think the problem is people see it as a choice between "day one patch" and "delay until those bugs are fixed, then release."

It's actually a choice between "day one patch" and "you're stuck with these bugs."

Same issue I have with people complaining about clone characters "wasting slots" for other potential characters.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:
The game has been packaged and shipping for months before release. It would be silly to think that there wouldn't be patches or any dev work performed during those months.
Are you saying that the games get packaged and shipped intentionally with flaws, so the devs have something to do? Because the only reasons for games to require huge day-one patches is that they are released full of flaws or incomplete (something that shouldn't be accepted in certified games)
That's where there's a difference between a small day one patch and a "fix it in post" mentality.
Even before games go gold, the process of console certification takes months, and is expensive. When a build is deemed sufficiently bug free, content complete, and up to publication standards, it gets sent for certification. Certification is a console maker's way of saying if the game meets the console's stability/functionality requirements, and they might catch additional bugs (usually associated with nuances of that console's software, like trophies or achievements). However, cert isn't focused on glitched quests - it's focused on how the game operates with the console's systems. During that time, devs don't just sit around and wait for an answer. They keep working, and keep testing, possibly finding weird bug behaviors and odd connections in the game. If they find bugs, they might pray that they don't get found by the cert team, and still work on fixes. If the game passes cert and goes gold, those changes aren't discarded. They're made into a patch to be fixed at release. The disk still meets minimum quality standards, but it could be improved through additional fixes.

Cert also isn't the best way to gauge quality, since they mostly test integration and general standards - things like online integration, message functionality, share features, etc. Keep in mind Ride to Hell: Retribution passed certification.

A 2GB patch might be hundreds of minor bug fixes found during the cert time. Nothing that would make you fail cert, but maybe audio glitches, disappearing npcs, the like. Usually when you see bigger patches it's due to textures or audio, which have large file sizes. A minor audio bug can make a single issue patch much larger than expected, but it's still a quality of life improvement. It's not that games are intentionally released with bugs to keep devs paid - it's that games naturally have bugs from the strangest of conditions, which are constantly looked for after certification, during manufacturing, and after release - all of which imply a point where you can't modify the on-disk content anymore.

This is all an improvement over the Atari days where a game breaking bug gets listed as a feature in the manual, since they can't afford to remake the cartridges.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
It kind of depends on the individual game. I understand that they find bugs after the game goes gold, but at the same time, it really pisses me off when I have to go online and patch a game for a long time right after I buy it. This especially applies to very large patches, because I have limited bandwidth.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Fundamentally I don't have a problem with a patching being available Day 1. After all, from the point of production, shipping etc, to the point I get a console home, bugs have probably been worked out and if they can fix those day 1, great.

However, when a console is shipping in basically a non-functional state with the intention of making it functional by day 1 via a fix then no. When you sell a product it should work, I should be able to just take it out of the box and play games on it. Optional update? Great, and I probably will download it first, but I shouldn't have to do so before I can use what I paid for.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
F-I-D-O said:
I'm sorry, but it saddens me the level of complacency that has crept on the gaming industry. They no longer aim for A or B grades (D- now is good enough)

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
These days, the publishers are often rushing the developers to finish a game as soon as possible.
Chances are, the developers might not finish the game in time so they release day 1 patches to give you a complete game.
As far as I know, they're always free so it's not a big deal.

The patches themselves aren't the problem.
The developers pushing for an early release date are.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Of course they're okay. If you want to expect a game at launch that doesnt have any bugs or glitches at all then every game release would be postponed to...infinity and beyond?

Patches are generally good things. Some arent, but in my experience most of them tend to fix more things then they break. Usually its the devs at least TRYING to make things right. I find devs that release patches a hellova lot better then the ones that cant bother and not release any at all because -all games- have glitches and bugs, more or less.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
I'm confused; did you mean to ask if Day One DLC is justifiable?

Because the question as it stands makes zero sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Don Incognito said:
I'm confused; did you mean to ask if Day One DLC is justifiable?

Eh. It sort of makes sense. Back in the day, you could just pop a cart in and play. You technically still can, but with so much reliant on online functionality, this can hamper even ostensibly single player games.

Thing is, I still find it preferable to buying a game and finding it doesn't work, or there's some game-breaking bug.

CaitSeith said:
I'm sorry, but it saddens me the level of complacency that has crept on the gaming industry. They no longer aim for A or B grades (D- now is good enough)
Were you not around for the 80s or 90s? I'm sorry, but I'm just sort of baffled that you think this is complacency that has crept into gaming, rather than something that's been around for ages.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Don Incognito said:
How so? You get a game released as version 1.0.0, the 1.0.1[footnote]number that's higher than the release version[/footnote] version is available on the same day. In those situations, the OP asks, is that acceptable. It's not like it doesn't happen - it does, here are examples[footnote]Do note, I just pulled few of the top results that came up in Google[/footnote]:
http://www.destructoid.com/assassin-s-creed-syndicate-has-teeny-tiny-day-one-patch-316457.phtml
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-day-one-patch-notes/1100-6427404/
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/10/20/halo-5-has-a-9gb-day-one-patch

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
In theory, nope, no problems. I saw my roommates programming homework years ago, there's alot of bull in those lines of code that not everyone can immediately see the first few tries. Even CDPR, the savior of [s/]anime[/s] gaming for alot of people for reasons I'm still not entirely sure of, had problems with Witcher 2 and 3 that they had to crank out patches for when they were released.

In practice/reality? Fuck that noise. Far too many companies using it as a crutch to justify release dates and to ship products they KNOW have fundamental problems and rush to get that shit fixed before release so that nobody notices. If it was toned back a bit to where there weren't a dozen a month, or some of the biggest games of the year being shipped in an unfinished state, I could get behind it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Redryhno said:
In theory, nope, no problems. I saw my roommates programming homework years ago, there's alot of bull in those lines of code that not everyone can immediately see the first few tries. Even CDPR, the savior of [s/]anime[/s] gaming for alot of people for reasons I'm still not entirely sure of, had problems with Witcher 2 and 3 that they had to crank out patches for when they were released.

In practice/reality? Fuck that noise. Far too many companies using it as a crutch to justify release dates and to ship products they KNOW have fundamental problems and rush to get that shit fixed before release so that nobody notices. If it was toned back a bit to where there weren't a dozen a month, or some of the biggest games of the year being shipped in an unfinished state, I could get behind it.

Pretty much all of this.

The issue here is the fact that games companies have gotten extremely complacent about bugs and fixing said bugs when testers pick up on them. Damn near every game these days has a day one patch. Even on consoles. THAT is not acceptable. For literally decades games were released as-was and the developer had to do their damndest to make sure there were no problems or get hammered in the reviews. Now there's a tendency to just stick with the release date, push it out the door and patch it later.

Personally I find this to be much more of an annoying problem with consoles than PC though. When I game on a PC I sort of expect having to tinker a bit sometimes to get things working purely because hardly anyone has the exact same system and setup. So there's bound to be variations resulting in glitches. But in the case of consoles its just beyond reasoning because the hardware is all standard; any bugs beyond fairly obscure ones absolutely should be being picked up and fixed prior to launch.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:
How so? You get a game released as version 1.0.0, the 1.0.1[footnote]number that's higher than the release version[/footnote] version is available on the same day. In those situations, the OP asks, is that acceptable. It's not like it doesn't happen - it does, here are examples[footnote]Do note, I just pulled few of the top results that came up in Google[/footnote]:
http://www.destructoid.com/assassin-s-creed-syndicate-has-teeny-tiny-day-one-patch-316457.phtml
....it's a patch. It is fixing bugs. Why wouldn't it be justifiable?

Bugs exist in every game. Always have, always will. The sooner they get fixed, the better.

I am utterly baffled by this thread.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Silly question is silly. With the state games are shipping in nowadays day one patches are necessary. You can certainly make a case that fixing bugs should be done before the game goes gold, rather than after with a patch though. I understand that when a game is released to the public a lot more bugs get discovered due to user volume, but companies seem happy to ship games that are riddled with bugs that they are aware of.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Don Incognito said:
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:

Bugs exist in every game. Always have, always will. The sooner they get fixed, the better.

I believe OP suggests there should not be bugs in the first place to be fixed.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:

There shouldn't be ketchup on hot dogs, either. Shit happens, man. All games have bugs, it has always been thus. I'd rather they get fixed as soon as possible.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
It comes across as really dickish. But probably it costs less to screw up the fanbase than pay the penalty to the publisher for delays

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Wholly dependent on circumstance and implementation.

If it's because post gold testing has revealed game crippling bugs then it's disappointing but fair enough.
It'd be better to have the patch than have a broken game.

In the past I used to wonder if day one patches were an effort to add another layer of drm, in the sense that to access the patch you'd have to either use a registered copy through a digital distributor or access it via the developer using a registered copy.
Learning how inventive some game crackers can be disavowed me of the notion for the most part, given that the time between a patch being released and a cracked version being available is so small.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Don Incognito said:
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:
DoPo said:
Don Incognito said:

There shouldn't be ketchup on hot dogs, either. Shit happens, man. All games have bugs, it has always been thus. I'd rather they get fixed as soon as possible.
I don't know why you're directing that at me and not at OP.