Poll: DayZ, Survivor or bandit?

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Now, I play in a group with several other people and I was just noticing that we seem to act like bandits rather than friendly survivors, at least when we aren't all dancing by a fire or generally fooling around.

Anyway, I was wondering how my fellow escapists play DayZ, do you kill others out of self preservation/just for the heck of it? Or do you try and be friendly to other players?

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
I used to play EVE Online. You can probably guess which I'm going for when/if I ever get DayZ.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYfB_Nh7bgQ&feature=plcp is one of the greastest moments of bastard-ness I've seen from any game in a long time, and it looks amazing.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I am REALLY happy to see this thread. ArmA 2 and subsequent mods often slip under the radar and haven't seem to have gotten the credit they deserve; despite selling large numbers of copies and with ArmA 2 being a relatively stable number 1 or 2 top seller on Steam for the past month or so. As I am writing this, ArmA 2 is the number 1 top seller! :D

Anyway... I have been looking at DayZ for a while now. I have strayed from modding ArmA2 because of some bad experience with the original ArmA (instability and interfering with the BIS campaign). Is it a mod that you would highly recommend? What issues does it have, and how large is the player base? I'm sick of seeing every server running some form of Evolution, and I wouldn't mind giving this a try if I was certain that it was a solid mod.

I know... That sounds funny since the ArmA modding community is arguably the best and most dedicated modding community in existence, but I'm on the fence with this once.

Schizocorpse

Feb 21, 2012
tsb247 said:
I know... That sounds funny since the ArmA modding community is arguably the best and most dedicated modding community in existence, but I'm on the fence with this once.
I think that award goes to the Morrowind modding community :p

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Schizocorpse said:
tsb247 said:
I think that award goes to the Morrowind modding community :p
I will have to respectfully disagree. The ArmA modding community has existed since the days of the original Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (2000), and they have been creating both mods and total conversions of the entire line of Bohemia Interactive combat simulations since their creation.

There have even been standalone titles released as a result of the modders efforts and ideas taking root in the industry.

In the end though, it's all a matter of opinion. I can't knock the modders for Morrowind in any way. They still do some awesome things!

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Im mostly a survivor. I play with 6 other people and we mostly just try to move from place to place while surviving but we have setup a permanent camp a few miles from Berezino (although I really wish there were better ways to camoflauge camps).

The reason why I say Im mostly a survivor is my group has taken it upon themselves to hunt bandits and patrol roads. We've killed quite a few small groups trying to rob people along the roads and cleared out bandit camps in the major cities. If we can spare aid we'll help anyone we can and while thats gotten a few of our groups members into a trap the trap layers are quickly dispatched.

tsb247 said:
I am REALLY happy to see this thread. ArmA 2 and subsequent mods often slip under the radar and haven't seem to have gotten the credit they deserve; despite selling large numbers of copies and with ArmA 2 being a relatively stable number 1 or 2 top seller on Steam for the past month or so. As I am writing this, ArmA 2 is the number 1 top seller! :D

Anyway... I have been looking at DayZ for a while now. I have strayed from modding ArmA2 because of some bad experience with the original ArmA (instability and interfering with the BIS campaign). Is it a mod that you would highly recommend? What issues does it have, and how large is the player base? I'm sick of seeing every server running some form of Evolution, and I wouldn't mind giving this a try if I was certain that it was a solid mod.

The mod is in its alpha stage so keep this in mind. Right now the zombies are very jerky in their movements and there is a lot of desync going on. Ive died more times from the desync then zombies or players legitmately killing me.

Thats really my only big complaint and the only problem that comes up a lot for me. For minor complaints, sometimes I get graphical bugs like textures not loading or portions of the screen having huge gray block outs (although thats usually fixed if I relog).

Basicly what Im saying is its a solid mod but it does have some issues

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I hear that the mod has turned to shit as nearly everyone plays as a bandit so the whole game is now just a buggier version of ARMA II with a few zombies.
Since they gave everyone a flashlight instead of a starting pistol when someone respawns, the team building has improved significantly, Rocket hopes to develop further on it as the mod progresses. ^^

tsb247 said:

I can recommend it HIGHLY. The issues are:

-Hard to find a companion/group, but if you use the forums there is an easy fix for that.

-Server desync is an issue Sometimes, it's usually fairly stable.

-Out of the blue you may spawn in the "Debug wasteland" so you would have to restart (I've played 170 hours and it's happened only twice, it's annoying but you get over it)

-Half the people you run into will be bandits and you may get backstabbed if you have something (Map, compass, food/water etc)

-You will die A LOT when you begin playing this. (Average life expectancy at the moment is 31 minutes, yikes O.O)

Oh and the player base has gone up to over 300,000 so says the website anyway.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Well, it has helped a lot to se some rather awesome (and hilarious) videos like this! XD

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Arontala said:
That video is fantastic. Is that really you and your friends?

OT: I don't have it, but I'd be a bandit. Xcal and Waldodude have influenced me far too much for me to be anything else.
Yes mate, fun times are to be had in the Berezino Mafia :D

Yes but it's better to have some friends, so I'd try the friendly path first if you do get it eventually.