Poll: - Deadliest Warrior: Sci-Fi Troops (Human)

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
So, ladies and gentlemen of the Escapist, it's exactly what you'd expect of a thread entitled "Deadliest Warrior".

A few ground rules:

1) It can be assumed that each soldier has full access to any standard-issue equipment he or she could generally expect to be deployed with (weaponry, armour, tools, etc), but nothing else.

2) Each soldier stands alone, without any external support of any kind.

3) If you can, explain why you think the soldier that you chose wins.

4) If you think I've left somebody important out, or think the options are shitty and could be better, PM me. Note that I've deliberately omitted overpowered soldiers like Astartes, Spartan IIs/IIIs, Mobile Infantrymen, etc, and have tried to keep the playing field relatively level.

Here are the candidates:

I: Imperial Guardsman (Warhammer 40k)

II: Clone Trooper (Star Wars)

III: Colonial Marine (Aliens)

IV: Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (Halo)

V: Gear (Gears of War)

VI: Helghast Soldier (Killzone)

I'm really interested to see what the outcome will be!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Fully automatic, zero recoil M41 Pulse Rifle as standard issue, electrically firing caseless 10x24mm armour-piercing high explosive rounds from a 99 round magazine and equipped with a 4 round 30mm grenade launcher.

Optional upgrade to the M95 Smartgun, a thermally assisted head-tracking squad support weapon mounted on a load-bearing harness, firing 10x28mm caseless armour-piercing high explosive rounds at 1200rpm from a 600 round mag

Motion trackers, multiple ammo grenade launchers, and if all else fails, he's got sharp sticks to fall back on.

These guys take on one of the most terrifying alien creatures in sci-fi completely un-prepared and still manage to kick-ass and take names... for a while. I just don't think anyone else fires such kick-ass rounds as such speed. Well, an animated Clone Troop might do a good job, but Star Wars has no idea how any of its stuff actually performs, so whether a blaster bolt leaves a little burn or disintegrates concrete is unknown.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Warhammer wins hands down.Their technology is just superior to everyone else (some may say that star wars is more advanced because its 'omg lazers is standard issue' but come on, perhaps the blasters would be effective if the damn sodliers could hit anything with them

Dead Eye II

Aug 7, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Fully automatic, zero recoil M41 Pulse Rifle as standard issue, electrically firing caseless 10x24mm armour-piercing high explosive rounds from a 99 round magazine and equipped with a 4 round 30mm grenade launcher.

Optional upgrade to the M95 Smartgun, a thermally assisted head-tracking squad support weapon mounted on a load-bearing harness, firing 10x28mm caseless armour-piercing high explosive rounds at 1200rpm from a 600 round mag

Motion trackers, multiple ammo grenade launchers, and if all else fails, he's got sharp sticks to fall back on.

These guys take on one of the most terrifying alien creatures in sci-fi completely un-prepared and still manage to kick-ass and take names... for a while. I just don't think anyone else fires such kick-ass rounds as such speed. Well, an animated Clone Troop might do a good job, but Star Wars has no idea how any of its stuff actually performs, so whether a blaster bolt leaves a little burn or disintegrates concrete is unknown.
have you seen what the Imperial Guard fight day in day out?!? haha my money would be on the Guardsmen if and only if it was a Kariskin

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
Well...The Imperial Guardsman is going to be turned into a paste. They carry one of the weakest weapons in the game and are generally one hit kills to anything else.
I mean, you either need half a planet of them, charging en masse, or a Commissar has to shoot one through the head to make the rest of the squad worth a damn.

And when you put that up against a man with chainsaw bayonet and a space-nazi, there really isn't any contest.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
The Mobile infantry. Why they have nukes built into their power armor. TOP THAT!
but out of the ones listed ODST most bad ass out of all of them. they jump into battle from space. And they really are better then most.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Dead Eye II said:
have you seen what the Imperial Guard fight day in day out?!? haha my money would be on the Guardsmen if and only if it was a Kariskin
Well, they only have flashlights as weapons and pretty much get eaten by anything that so much as looks their way. As a horde they are dangerous, but an individual soldier sucks monkies!

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
I think either the ODST, because those guys are ballers, or the gear because of the amount of testosterone pumping through them. Guardsmen and Clonetroopers are pretty awful when alone. The Helghast could definitely be a runner up and you can never tell with the Colonial Marine.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Orbital Drop Shock troopers are the only ones listed with shields. I will vote for them even though they are my least favorite.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wait, why is it that halo get's elite troopers but everyone else gets a standard infantry unit?
so i change the 40k contestant to a kasrkin or at least a normal storm trooper. oh and he wins.

Rems

May 29, 2011
I'm going to say a guardsman from 40k. We'll assume he's a cadian for the purposes of this scenario. As such eh has been trained as soldier since before he could walk. He has literally known a lifetime of war and stands gaurd over the gateway to hellitself.

In terms of equipment flak armour can stop both bullets and lasers so he had protection against the other's weapons. His own weapon is a laser based weapon that operates by heating up the surface of the victim creating a small, localised thermal explosion. Furthermore he has effectively unlimited ammo with lasguns being able to be recharged from solar power or even a fire. So he could win just by waiting for the others run out of ammo. A lasgun can blow limbs of an ork and in concentrated numbers break astartes power armour, it can easily deal with all the other armours listed in that poll.

Unlike the others he is also fully trained and expected to be able to engage in close combat. He also has a psychological advantage having fought the alien races of 40k, some of the most horrible races in sci fi creation. Facing some regular humans is a refreshing change of pace.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
wait... you mean just a regular Storm trooper? cause thts not fair. their entire army is built around having specialized tasks and a labeling, even down to the armour style and colour.

... so I'll say i wouldnt know out of those choices and maybe other, if I can say Samus.

She's not OPed, just very well trained.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Mirror Cage said:
Well...The Imperial Guardsman is going to be turned into a paste. They carry one of the weakest weapons in the game and are generally one hit kills to anything else.
Try to keep backstory and canonic literature in mind too. Tabletop 40k isn't quite as representative of its subject matter as a video game or film can be.

New Troll said:
Orbital Drop Shock troopers are the only ones listed with shields.
Really? All of them? I thought it was only the Rookie that had shields...

teebeeohh said:
wait, why is it that halo get's elite troopers but everyone else gets a standard infantry unit?
Because a standard UNSC Marine and his rifle suck by even modern standards, let alone sci-fi standards. An ODST at least has superior skill on his side.

EDIT:

emeraldrafael said:
wait... you mean just a regular Storm trooper?
Clone Trooper. From Kamino. Just imagine that he's the clone equivalent to a modern-day Rifleman.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I have to go for unsure.

I demand Grey Knights.

They are human ..... give or take a few genetic alterations.

Rheyvin

Feb 4, 2010
Can't say much about Colonial Marines because I haven't watched the Aliens series. Imperial Guardsmen, Clone Troopers, and Helghast always (from what I've seen) seem to work much better in groups than when they're alone so by the logic I'm inclined to eliminate them. Though to be fair the former two could, in theory, make up for it with their advanced weapons/equipment. ODSTs and Gears seem to have an advantage only in that I've had more experience with what they can do without assistance. I feel like Gears have a great amount of resilience which would help them in combat but ODSTs utilize more advanced tactics and could perhaps outmaneuver most threats.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I_am_a_Spoon said:
1) It can be assumed that each soldier has full access to any standard-issue equipment he or she could generally expect to be deployed with (weaponry, armour, tools, etc), but nothing else.
I_am_a_Spoon said:
New Troll said:
Orbital Drop Shock troopers are the only ones listed with shields.
Really? All of them? I thought it was only the Rookie that had shields...
So are we now setting limits upon the rules you placed? If so, then I guess it wouldn't matter who I thought because you could just sway things into whomever's favor you wish.

Also, I still don't like the ODST. But that unfortunately wasn't the question.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
I have to go for unsure.

I demand Grey Knights.

They are human ..... give or take a few genetic alterations.
Grey Knights on the list = Grey Knights win.

I tried to avoid unbalancing the list.