Poll: Dear Mods, Should Vs threads and List threads be reported?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Dear Modstaff,

When I joined the Escapist Community back in 2008, its fair to say both VS threads and List threads we're not only looked down upon but frequently locked. I've been used to being told they lack discussion value, and therefore are heathenish. But not so much any more.

If you're not sure what kind I'm talking about, Vs threads tend to be titled or "Cod Vs Halo", "Chuck Norris vs Godzilla", and of course, "Which one is better: Modern Warfare 2 or Finding blood in your stool?"

List threads can be a bit more sneaky, but can often be seen by the massive amounts of posts which often share a similar patter. Such as

• 1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Skyrim
    3. Jak and Daxter
    4. Hairy Men
    5. Seriously, Skyrim

I took a look through the code of conduct to see if I could scrounge up an answer. But that things about as open to interpretation as The Bible. The best thing I could come up with is

ES Consitution said:
Low Content Posts
This could be anything from simply answering a question to posting LOL. These forums are used for discussion and low content posts halt discussion. In order to participate in conversation one should present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion. "I like pie" isn't an argument. The fact that you like pie is well and good, but why do you like that pie? This explanation offers others an opportunity to respond to your opinion and avoids forum spam.
Your favorite troublemaker,
Pimp.

Oh, and if you're wondering why this is a thread instead of a personal message to a mod. Its because I am a man of the people. I want to hear your thoughts. I want to feel your rock hard passion, dear public. Also I'm bored and I'd think a general consensus would be useful. And Remember, vote Pimmppeter2 for Jesus 2012!

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
I voted for you naked: because I can't give you my rock hard passion with your clothes on :\ That's just silly.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Hairy Men is a freaking awesome game, though. Remember that part in level eight when you fight the Unstoppable Bowel Movement? Classic.

Anyway, I'm gonna wave my hypocrite flag right here. I think list threads are just as void of discussion as versus threads (if not moreso). However, I have participated in many of them. What can I say? I know a bad thread when I see one, but I've got to let my love of Hairy Men be known somewhere.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
I voted for you naked: because I can't give you my rock hard passion with your clothes on :\ That's just silly.
Its only logical, really. :D

DustyDrB said:
Hairy Men is a freaking awesome game, though. Remember that part in level eight when you fight the Unstoppable Bowel Movement? Classic.

Anyway, I'm gonna wave my hypocrite flag right here. I think list threads are just as void of discussion as versus threads (if not moreso). However, I have participated in many of them. What can I say? I know a bad thread when I see one, but I've got to let my love of Hairy Men be known somewhere.
I guess its sort of hypocritical that I post in them as well. But I usually leave in a note about trying to promote more discussion value. I haven't only recently started reporting them.

Oh, and by the way...
*sits and plays with chest hair*

Good Day, sir.

Vault101 said:
I made one recently...mabye I was just lazy..but still
Its okay. I mean, I could be speaking out of my ass here and truth is the mods and community no longer have a problem. That's what Im trying to see.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I remember that these things used to be against the rules all the way back when I first joined, then I left and suddenly they were ok, it was confusing at first but I don't really mind as I don't really click on versus threads and though discussionless as they may be the list threads sometimes help you learn something about your fellow escapists, I think... I just post there because I like to talk about myself OK.....

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Very much what you said!
This has been bothering me for a while now. Back when I joined/was lurking, strict rules were enforced as to what kind of communications were allowed.

Then it seemed, with the expanding userbase, these rules were gradually becoming more lenient before disappearing altogether.
I miss the clear and specific guidelines that were provided in the forum rules of the past. Stuff such as:

Don't make "hello, I'm new"-threads.
Utilize grammars.
Don't use unnecessary bb-code to make your post stand out.
Vs. threads are not allowed.
Spoiler your images for bandwith.
And most importantly:
Use the search-bar. If there is a thread like the one you wanted to post and the last post in said thread was made less than two months ago, necro that thread instead.

Basically, I miss the times when the forum rules were a nice introduction into forum etiquette.
I feel they're what was keeping the forums here somewhat special. With the growing userbase the forums have only grown more generic.

[sub]As for the poll: I wish I could say I report vs. threads, but I've sort of given up.[/sub]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I wonder if it would be worth having another forum section set up for these sort of things, vs threads, lists and fanon (actually, why don't we have a fanon forum section to post your own stories. That would be ace!)

We could even take the March Mayhem concept and have a nerdy Escapist Vs. competition, (ripping of deadlist warriors) where we pitch similar videogame/superhero characters against one another, and vote on who would win. (having different categories for best soldier, best swordsman, best stealth/spy, best mech, best wizard etc.) It could go on in September, as a mirror to March Mayhem... Autumn Atrocity?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I report both.
And I chose that.
Because I've seen ya naked, sexyness ;D

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I consider both thread types to fall under low content. However, I feel they are fun threads to see on the forums and a great little diversion for posting and thinking about gaming.

I don't feel they've overwhelmed the forums or caused any harm to the community.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I always thought that they were insta-locks, but lately they haven't been. I had a chat with a mod about it a couple days ago and they said that they were fine with it. So, yeah. I don't like them, but if the mods don't mind them...

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
List threads I don't see the issue with, as a lot of people will expand on what they say in a bit more depth.

Vs threads though are just a massive waste of time.

Mar 30, 2010
So is this a versus vs non versus thread?

My head hurts...

OT: I know where you're coming from, but I guess The Escapist has had to move with the times. More and more members made more and more vs threads and the mods were faced with either suspending a fuckton of newer members or just rolling with the punches. I haven't been here all that long, but even I find it weird to see behaviour on this site that wasn't tolerated even two years ago. Times a'changin, I guess.