Poll: Decided to build a PC, what do you think?

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
@Glademaster Hmm looks pretty good. How old is your Comp? Peronally I want to stay away from liquid cooled if possible. Knowing my luck it would bust and kill me x(

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
That CPU is a huge amount of overkill for the rest of that system. Get an AMD 965(4x3,4Ghz but not as great cache) and save a large amount. Also, Nvidia cards are slightly underwhelming this generation, you'd be better off investing the money you saved from the CPU to get a 5850 or a 5870 depending on whether or not you care about having tesselation and AA on at the same time.

If you also use it for other things then gaming and like me, have programs with a large, shiny "render all" button that gives several warnings about system temperature and space requirements when clicked, by all means go ahead and get a pair of 5970s.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
@Avelester LOL I was wondering why people were saying I had only 2 GB of ram listed. The (2GB by 3) means two gigabytes per stick. There are three sticks in that package, so I have 6 GB of RAM.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
That looks pretty awesome, maybe more ram. Oh and that's a great choice for a case. Very easy to take apart and put back together for cleaning air filters.

Jun 11, 2008
TOO S0BER said:
@Glademaster Hmm looks pretty good. How old is your Comp? Peronally I want to stay away from liquid cooled if possible. Knowing my luck it would bust and kill me x(
Thats not actually mine but it is something on the website. I can't afford £8,500(Roughly 12,000 euro for me+exchange rates) on a comp. Just wanted to put up the specs to show whats out there. My comp is some "gaming" computer my parents got. I could of built it for half the money with my friends help. One thing I will say about Liquid Cooling is that there is basically no sound. So if you ever do wanna go down that route it is something to think about.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Sweet. I built my PC for ~£700 back in 2007, and with only one graphics card upgrade, it's not showing it's age at all- Even with the processor just running at stock speeds.

I love this Q6600.

I can see why you'd want an i7 though.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
@Glademaster Ah i see. It's the same situation with my laptop. Parents bought me this for christmas. Was pretty good for Starcraft 1, but it is heavy time for a new computer.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
@SL33tBL1ND Yeah, had the same problem. The build is actually 6 GB of RAM, I just didn't type it in an unconfusing way (go typing skills). Yeah, it's 6, not 2 lol.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
Sebenko said:
I can see why you'd want an i7 though.
I may or may not use the i7. I'm getting second opinions before I start a spendin'. incidentally, what's wrong with the i7?

Thwarted

Sep 10, 2009
you may wish to avoid using an Asus mainboard. their customer service department is awful. My wife had an asus mobo and i had no end of trouble with them last year. EVGA for the win imo.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I recently needed to upgrade (January, after amassing some xmas cash, and I laid out on a prebuilt barebones machine from Novatech, for around £290, all you need to do is add dvd,hdd and video card.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
ATX Black Gaming Tower Case
550w ATX Power Supply

I bought a new 640gb drive, and reused my old dvd writer and video card ( a Radoen 4830), and for under £350 I'm playing stuff like Just Cause 2 at fairly good quality. (I think JC2 was my last purchase, dammit I should have posted about that, it was £7 on Eidos's own site.)

I'm pretty sure that when it starts to lag with newer games, all that will be needed is a new video card.

I've also got an electricity monitor and it appears my whole apartment only pulls around 500w when I'm gaming, drops to around 400 when not pushing the PC.

I have to admit however, if I had the money, I'd go higher spec, but just saying, you can do a lot with not much and you don't even have to be an expert PC builder, just have the confidence to push a HDD and video card into place.

(I admit installing CPUs, with all the thermal paste etc, still gives me the fear, in theory I'd be fine, but knowing I could blow my whole upgrade with a slip spooks me, seeing the majority of my upgrade budget just pop with a burst of smoke.)

Humppaporo

Apr 4, 2009
Hell no on hard drive. That a fail sir if you buy that slow hd. I know from experience. Get 10krpm velociraptor or ssd as mentioned. Atleast small one for windows. Why geforce card? I'd say ati is better in value. Also 1000wats is overkill, but I guess powersupply ain't the most expensive part.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
@Yosharian Yeah that build looks nice. On post 29 I stated I only looked at Best Buy so far. I'm sure (and you just proved it) that it can come cheaper. I'm still gonna do the same (well mostly the same) build, but gonna do some shopping elseware. Probably can save a lot.