Poll: Deciding between 3 very different games

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Serious sam is like Painkiller, if you have ever played it. No cover shooting game, mindless fun. Crysis is your normal FPS, a pretty one at that, Mortal Kombat is rending spleens from a multitude of bodies.

Haven't played any of them, but I would go with Crysis. Serious sam would be second, and I wouldn't get MK, I hate fighting games. Othen then Crysis, none seem that great, and you could get past Crysis in a rent, I would think.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
believer258 said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Stall said:
Dude, Serious Sam HD is one of the daily deals on Steam today. You can get it for 8 dollars today.
snowfox said:
Steam is doing a huge sale if you want to go take a peek at what they have.
omicron1 said:
Serious Sam is $8 on Steam right now.
Should have clarified, I'm working on a 360 here. Don't have the luxury of a PC that can run these kind of games.
Whoa, what kind of PC do you have? Hell, my little laptop eats Serious Sam 2 for breakfast and it isn't very powerful as far as graphics go at all.

That said, every time I fire up the demo of SS2 I find myself extremely bored. I played it on 360 and bleh, it was fun at first but it just got boring as hell to me.

Mortal Kombat, I cannot comment on. I'm pretty certain that a fair bit of the fun factor comes from friends, so if you've got buddies that like that sort of game then you might want to look into it.

Crysis 2 is what I'm going to recommend. On 360 there aren't many graphical issues, but there are times where it can slow down just a little bit. It's never unplayable, though, and for the most part it's absolutely gorgeous and runs well. It's also a fairly inventive shooter worth more than one playthrough, but I beat it in a little under 7 hours so it's only slightly longer than most modern shooters and a fair bit shorter than the length that shooters should be.
I have a Compaq CQ60 laptop, which can't run anything more advanced than Diablo 2 (fuck it can't even run that). It's set up for word processing and internet access, not gaming in any real capacity.

Hence, I rely on my 360.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
I'd get Serious Sam, I have the original and it's great fun. USE THE KNIFE.
Yeah I've played the demo for the HD 360 remakes off XBL and had a blast, I'm just worried about the length of gameplay time I'll get out of them. I have no idea how long, combined, the 1st and 2nd encounters run for.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Mortal Kombat I'd say. Crysis 2 is waaaay shorter and less fun.
But I've never played SS, and Yahtzee seems convinced they're good...

beeejay

Dec 15, 2009
Ive only played Crysis on this list and it was a fun competent shoter, but, thats about it. Its not exactly innovative or very different from any other shooter so id be tempted to go for serious sam

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
haven't played either serious sam or mortal kombat although i've heard great things about both. Crysis 2 was fun, the story was long (the actual plot is kinda meh though) and the suit mechanics are fun to mess with. The online was also fun especially the level where you're fighting ontop of buildings in the sky. Oh and the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen in a videogame

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
I'm just worried about the length of gameplay time I'll get out of them. I have no idea how long, combined, the 1st and 2nd encounters run for.
You will get a LONG time playing the serious sam games, always have been long games and usually with a difficulty curve that makes them STUPIDLY long at points...but still a good game nonetheless

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
akfg666 said:
You will get a LONG time playing the serious sam games, always have been long games and usually with a difficulty curve that makes them STUPIDLY long at points...but still a good game nonetheless
That's good. The demos do stretch some bits out into insanely fun lengths (namely the ending TSE demo on that big open plain with an entire army thrown at you) and having two games there will undoubtedly make stuff even longer.

To be honest, I'm glad Mortal Kombat has the lowest votes. That was the one I was most unsure about. I've had a spotty history in terms of how I do with fighting games and Mortal Kombat, as a series, has been pretty hit-and-miss with me.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I'd go with Crysis 2. Serious Sam is very cheap, so you could easily get it yourself after your birthday.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
If you have other friends who own MK or are good at fighting games then MK, if you are more into shooters Serious Samn I reccomend once again if you have a freind or a few who own it. Crysis you can have fun with with-out friends but I grew bored of it quickly.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I voted Crysis 2, it's a decent game but honestly it didn't have much more value than a rental to me. MK would just piss me off for the most part. Serious Sam would actually probably be the best bang for the buck out of the three.

I'm changing my vote to Serious Sam HD!

efeat

Sep 22, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
I have a Compaq CQ60 laptop, which can't run anything more advanced than Diablo 2 (fuck it can't even run that). It's set up for word processing and internet access, not gaming in any real capacity.

Hence, I rely on my 360.
For what it's worth, the Serious Sam Gold Edition on Steam comes with the HD versions and the original 2001-2002 titles. You may not be able to run the HD versions on your laptop, but I guarantee the old versions will work fine.