Poll: Depressing news for aspiring musicians...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So I was just ruminating on a certain issue and was wondering if there were any musicians/pragmatists out there that felt the same way I did.

Anyone else notice how depressing it is to be an aspiring musician? Let's be frank: most of us, probably -are by definition- aspiring musicians because we think we have something 'special'. Or in other words, we are driven to write music because we want to share our essence with the rest of the world, due to whatever genetic predisposition we may have that drives us to think this way. Maybe we are motivated by our favorite bands, etc.

And then...we realize something...

http://www.allages.com/2008/shows.html

This is a 'show/stage' near my residence. Just look at....-all- those bands out there. All of them who believe they also are 'the best'. Also believing they want to 'share their musical essences'. Also competing...with -you-.

The point is I'm starting to realize that...(correct me if I'm wrong, this is my point here): isn't it statistically improbable to become a successful musician (and much more likely that you'll be one of those homeless guys playing for nickels?). And what I mean is, statistically, if we were to talk about, say, the lottery, most educated folk would instantly disregard any chance of winning the lottery ("higher chance of getting struck by lightning, hah! It's just so unreasonable"). The sad thing is that it seems comparable to musical-success. What's the chance you are to land a label? To become famous? To hit 'awesome-status' like bands like Brand New or Muse?

Escapists, do you not agree? Musical success is, to an individual, as silly and improbable as something like winning the lottery. Of course we'll say encouraging things like "you'll never know unless you try" and "you just got to do all you can and hope for the best", but on a purely-rational and honest/succinct train of thought: aren't we just lying to make people feel better?

'Despite all the rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage'

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Depressing, perhaps, but hardly news. Sure, expecting to be the best is a little out-of-touch, but realizing that fact is hardly a reason to be cynical.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I dont agree with the post.

Many bands become big because they are lyrically and musically different.
In the music industry its not what you know its who you know and if one is good enough and has the contacts they will start to become bigger in the music scene. I have noticed that many of the mainstream bands that have come up got there first single out because it featured an already known artist. (Flo Rida and One Republic spring to mind).

There are some good examples where Bands spring out of nowhere and become big, but the trend is that to become big you must already know someone who is in "The Biz"

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I would like to point out that you don't have to make millions off of records to be 'successful'.

Me and the guys play at a local blues club every other Sunday night, and I'd say we're damn successful.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Depends on what your goals are- if your hoping to get signed, win international acclaim and live like a rich teen for the rest of your life, you'll almost certainly be disapointed. If you're in it because you like the live music scene, the free beer and the few extra quid that come with it, you can have a good time and my even find you get enough paid gigs to give up the day job.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I guess it's the same feeling athletes feel when there are thousands of people who play their positions better and will never get a multi-million dollar contract even though they practice and play just as hard.

Although, plenty of bands sell tens of thousands of albums and still make money. Independently operated bands might get $8 of every $10 CD sold if sold in store, straight profit if sold out of trunk. 50,000 albums would mean $400K. Split that between the engineer, the mastering, and the pressing, and that would be about $30-50K pocketed. That doesn't include profits from shows (usually a couple grand a gig) and merchandise sales.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I'm with Git. If you're hoping to snort blow off a hooker's boobs every night and then collapse in a puddle of your own urine I think you'll be disappointed (sort of). If, however, you're making music to express yourself and just have some fun times with your friends, then I think there are plenty of 'successful' musicians out there.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
No, you just have to be better than the average to have a chance in hell. And ti do that, you need to be different.

Myself, I was never in music for success. It's a hobby of mine, but I doubt that I'll ever make it a job opportunity.

brainfreeze215

Feb 5, 2009
If you want a career in music you have to consider all of your options. There are a lot of jobs out there for musicians, which will give you a way to support yourself doing what you love while trying to break out with your own style and not wind up broke in a subway.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
That's not news because it's not a new idea. Everyone knows, at least at a logical level, that the odds against them becoming famous are fantastically slim. You know that horse at the track that everyone calls a longshot? Well, if you drugged it, broke its leg and then shot it several times it STILL has a better shot at winning that big race than any of us have (statistically speaking at any rate) of making it big.

But, that's really the point isn't it? Sure, there's something to be said for the idea that most everyone has something to share with the world, but I think most of us are willing to accept that this premise is based off the false notion that just because we are unique we ought to be recognized somehow for our contribution to mankind. I believe the Pixar Movie "The Incredibles" had an excellent line that is appropriate here "If everyone is special, then no one is."

If you frequent the indie shows, then you'll probably realize (if you aren't lying to yourself) that one of the main reasons these bands haven't been picked up is because they just don't that "it". It may simply be a matter of timing - there are plenty of incredible bands that I've heard that simply are either too far past the leading edge, or they are just a little too far behind. Most of the time however the problem they have is they lack the talent. Now, I tend to like punk rock music, but the minute I realize I[/i} can play the guitar lead in a song a band needs to seriously examine what they're trying to do (As a note, I am not a musician by any stretch). Going to indie shows demonstrates that there is an immense bed of static that any potential band must rise above in order to get noticed. There have been plenty of shows by bands I've never heard of before or sense that I quite enjoyed, but the mere fact that I can rarely name a song, remember a lyric or even recall the name of the band is telling. Without that special something a band (or any creative endeavor really) is destined to falter, and what's worse is even if you have it there's no guarantee that alone will suffice either.

Of the few times I've seen bands become successful (The most notable was "Bowling for Soup", before they launched their first album. They played in a bar in Amarillo Texas of all places if that tells you anything about them), It strikes me that there seems to be a few key things present. First, the people in the band obviously love what they do, because it is only when someone truly loves doing something that they're willing to suffer endlessly in the pursuit. Second, they all obviously had the ability to work a crowd, and this actually has nothing to do with one's ability to play an instrument, write a song or sing. It's about showmanship. Sure, the music is a big part of that but it's not the only part. The most important thing they seemed to have though was a complete disregard for the odds against them. They might have tried and failed a dozen times but the ones that seem to make it more often than not are the one's who won't even entertain the idea that they won't hit the big time.

That's probably the most inspiring thing to see out of a band (or anyone really). No matter the odds, no matter the situation there is this attitude not of "Why not me" and instead you get "Who's going to stop me".

If someone is doubting the path then I'd say those long odds just became even less favorable. Maybe the solution is a different band or a different approach. If one cannot find some avenue that they are willing to travel without pay or adulation, then perhaps what they've really found isn't that the odds were against them, its simply that this isn't the dream for them.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I feel Brand New describes it best here:

"(Does everybody really need to know everyone?
Do you really think you're really a part of it?
And is your army really one of some thousands?
And will you declare war on the loony bin?)

You're brought back but you're running
I fell asleep at the incline
I can't shake this little feeling
I'll never get anything right

Goodbye you liar
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(And I wish I could inspire)
Take apart the demon, up in the attic to the left"

TheSunshineHobo

Jul 12, 2009
I want to thank you for pointing out what everyone knew already. The music business is hard. REALLY? WOW! THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THAT! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT OBVIOUS FACT!

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
The odds of becoming even a successful artist of any kind are very very slim. That's why parents generally don't want their children doing it.

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
but would not playing on the street with a hat out still be something? i mean you're getting your music out there, people are listening to it.

why should it have to be that you need to have the big record contract and be on the charts to be considered sucessful?
as long as you never give up and you're still always out there getting people to listen to your music i wouldn't consider anybody a failure.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
but would not playing on the street with a hat out still be something? i mean you're getting your music out there, people are listening to it.

why should it have to be that you need to have the big record contract and be on the charts to be considered sucessful?
Eh...you know what? Honestly, I just don't want to cope with living in a cardboard box.

And that's living in a cardboard box.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I think what's more depressing with music these days is the McDonalds nature of a 'fans' attention span for a given artist. Due to MySpace bands seem to hit big overnight and disappear just as quickly. You'll never get a band with the longevity of a Metallica, Zeppelin or AC/DC again.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
antipunt said:

Eh...you know what? Honestly, I just don't want to cope with living in a cardboard box.

And that's living in a cardboard box.
And you can't have a day job?

This isn't a flame by any stretch, but that's basically a flimsy excuse. If you love the art of expressing yourself through music I think you need to find a way. Chances are good you won't make it to the big time as I already pointed out (and seems blindingly obvious to me). Money aside, would you sacrifice entertaining a crowd at a bar and being personally thanked just because it probably won't lead you to riches and fame? If you answer yes, then I have to say, you're playing for all the wrong reasons.