Poll: Destiny beta impressions.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Phoenixmgs said:
I didn't notice the reticule thing. But the camera sensitivity at max was so damn slow that playing PvP wouldn't be much fun for me. That's something easily fixed but it should never be an issue to begin with.
Granted, it's not as exaggerated as the reticle placement in the latter Halo installments, but the fact that they're still doing it bothers me.

What's truly odd is Halo: CE had a centered reticle. But from Halo 2 onward Bungie kept lowering it more and more so that, by the time Reach rolled around, it was practically halfway to the bottom of the screen. And now, for some baffling reason, they're doing it again with Destiny.

Like I said, not quite as bad as the latter Halos, but still annoying. You lose so much positional awareness when you have to aim at the sky to get your headshots. And the effect is made worse when the game is locked at a FOV lower than 75 degrees.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
"It's OK. 10/10" - IGN

I think that statement sums up my thoughts on the beta. It is a technically sound and fun game, but lacks any real substance. It just feels like a more polished, less soulful version of Borderlands (which for the record, I did not like very much). There isn't too much you can criticize the game for, but I don't think there is much you can praise it for either.

As for the "Halo" elements, I feel as if the combat in Halo has been going downhill ever since CE, with the glimmer of hope that was Halo 3 and quickly dashed by the abortion that was Reach. I am not all that impressed with the combat in the beta.

There is potential, but lets hope Bungie played their cards right and prove that the full release isn't as mediocre as what they provided in the beta.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Skin said:
"It's OK. 10/10" - IGN

I think that statement sums up my thoughts on the beta. It is a technically sound and fun game, but lacks any real substance. It just feels like a more polished, less soulful version of Borderlands (which for the record, I did not like very much). There isn't too much you can criticize the game for, but I don't think there is much you can praise it for either.

As for the "Halo" elements, I feel as if the combat in Halo has been going downhill ever since CE, with the glimmer of hope that was Halo 3 and quickly dashed by the abortion that was Reach. I am not all that impressed with the combat in the beta.

There is potential, but lets hope Bungie played their cards right and prove that the full release isn't as mediocre as what they provided in the beta.
their cards are going to be awful, they turned their back on the pc and for that they will suffer greatly. I refuse to be a part of this and many of my gamer buddies agree that Destiny sold out to consoles and left their original fanbase in the dark.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Like I said, not quite as bad as the latter Halos, but still annoying. You lose so much positional awareness when you have to aim at the sky to get your headshots. And the effect is made worse when the game is locked at a FOV lower than 75 degrees.
Yeah, that's weird, I wonder why the hell Bungie does that. Just about every shooter nowadays has some minor thing wrong that is really a big thing like almost every 3rd-person shooter not having a proper shoulder swap or Uncharted not allowing you to change the camera sensitivity that just ruins the competitive MP right then and there.

kingthrall said:
their cards are going to be awful, they turned their back on the pc and for that they will suffer greatly. I refuse to be a part of this and many of my gamer buddies agree that Destiny sold out to consoles and left their original fanbase in the dark.
Why can't people just judge the game on its own merits regardless of the politics or PR or whatever? Ubisoft's PR sucks ass but they are the one big publisher (out of the EAs, Activisions, Rockstars, etc.) that actually make good games for the most part (excluding Assassin's Creed). Of course, game developers are going to cater to the console more as they sell more copies of the console versions than the PC version.

Just judge Destiny on the game itself. And the game is mediocre because of Bungie's own hubris as they think everything they do is pure gold. "Selling out" to consoles wasn't the cause of Bungie making every class so similar that it defeats the point of classes. Their logic was to make the classes similar so people don't make choices they regret. Or the fact that you can't have awesomely powerful character ala Borderlands because they want people to take that character and play PvP as well so they gimped the MMO characters so PvP is much simpler to balance, the powers even function as killstreaks. And because everyone at Bungie thinks Bungie is so awesome, nobody was telling them these ideas are bad.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Well at the very least people think the beta was average was either good of average at best. Not many people think it's bad . Which is already kind of a good thing. I haven't gotten to try the ovo unfortunatetly, but since i haven't played a halo game ( except for 2) i'll definately be buying this game.

Also remember this is just a beta, so quite a few things are subject to change.

MidnightRaith

Dec 11, 2011
I actually really liked it. It's been a long time since I really enjoyed a shooter like Destiny, but perhaps that is because it plays similar to Halo. It has a lot in common with Borderlands 1, less in common with Borderlands 2 as far as loot is concerned. This is probably going to be the biggest reason why I'll be buying this game on launch. Loot doesn't come as quickly as it did in either Borderlands game and I honestly prefer that. Most of the time, what drops is an upgrade to what you have already especially if you are in the habit of keeping multiple types of guns, which have their own skill trees to unlock, even on the uncommon variety. However, I do wish drops would come off of downed bosses. I feel like that was a wasted opportunity in the Strikes, Destiny's raids, it's only sometimes that something will drop at the very end and very rarely will the first boss drop something. Bit of a bummer.

The guns themselves are a bit more plain. Some people have called them boring, but I think I much prefer Destiny's guns over Borderlands 2's guns. There aren't any annoying gimmicks like guns firing six out of seven shots in their clips or anything similar. They do sometimes have an element effect on them. Borderlands 1 has the leg up on weapon "fun-ness" in my opinion, however.

I played two out of the three classes so far. Titan is very much going to be the "tank" character. Looking at their future skills, they get a spawn-able shield, a buff to allies' survivability and buffs to their melee attacks. They also have the greatest damage resistant score, but the lowest agility. Warlock is the "mage" class and they get skills that will lower cooldowns on their abilities and something else I don't quite remember. I much preferred the Titan class to my Warlock, but that was more due to my CQB fighting preference than anything else. Warlocks I think have the lowest damage resistance but one of the highest agility scores.

There are two types of PvP. Most of the matches appear to be gear and skill points balanced. Everyone has an equal chance to kill everybody else. However, there is also something called the Iron Banner. These are matches where your gear and skills matter and I personally got slaughtered in them. Loot distribution is kind of weird after the match as they are based on RNG. Something that is not too unusual in MMOs, however Bungie has said to bring your (paraphrased) "A game to these matches. It could mean the difference between getting that sweet assault rifle." I don't know if they meant going to the store to turn in what's effectively tokens for some really nice stuff, or that the loot distributed after the match was meant to go to the top players but didn't. They haven't said either way and it's causing no small amount of unrest at the Bungie forums (which are pretty toxic if that helps you imagine the rage over this small point). Either way, it sure helps to grind PvE content to get loot before going to Iron Banner where I felt like I was tissue paper compared to other players and I was playing Titan at the time. Gear is going to be a much larger aspect to the game than level I feel.

For PvE, you have story missions, an open world area and Strikes. SMs are usually about 15 minutes on average for Normal difficulty, but they all have a Hard difficulty. The AI for enemies aren't anything too revolutionary, but it's still challenging. Sometimes I could notice Fallen, enemies most similar to Elites from Halo, noticing when you are in ADS and juking to the side. Melee enemies notice when you are using a shotgun and will backpeddal away, forcing you to sprint after them. Even the Hive, who are more aggressive (similar to the Flood but a bit smarter) will try to back off when you bring a shotty out and kill a few of their friends. The open world could use a few more interesting missions. Most are "Kill X of Y and collect what they drop" but I've heard of some players getting a "Hunt this particular enemy and kill it" and said enemy will actually try to run from you. Haven't seen it myself, but I'd like to play it. There definitely needs to be a higher occurrence for dynamic events. The Alpha seemed to have them more often, but I've only come across a few so far in the Beta. Seems like it needs to go for a rate more in between the two.

Strikes are interesting. It's too early to tell how group makeup will affect how well you can do in them like in traditional MMOs. (Though I have a feeling it won't. Destiny doesn't really have a Healer class and each can succeed very well if they are playing the character well enough.) I only played with PUGs and my only complain with PUGs is that there is no easy way to set up a chat with your teammates besides manually inviting them to a fireteam, which is silly considering we are already in one to begin with. This is pretty important because the Strike has tactics. Whether it's survive mulitple waves of enemies, and it would be helpful to encourage your teammates to spread out over the area to cover more ground and cover each other, or bringing down the two bosses. There is an easy was to take down the Devil Walkers in this game and it involves attacking one of the spiderlegs as a team and doing enough damage to force it to reveal its weak point and then focus on that. Repeat and you can have him down in a few minutes. Otherwise it is a bullet sponge and it is very possible to run out of ammo when each of you are attacking a different weak point on the body. Or explaining that to beat the final Eye Boss Thing, it's a good idea to spread out and trade the aggro back and forth while shooting its weak point in the very center of the eye. Otherwise, I've had people group on me and it just kills all three of us with its powerful Eye Cannon Thing. Nothing too difficult considering that it is the first Strike in the game, but if its a sign of things to come then I welcome this sort of thing. Much more fun than zerg-rushing the enemies.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of this game are the class powers. Titans have a ground pound move that kills everyone surrounding you, Warlocks fire a powerful orb that kills enemies surrounding it, and Hunters get a golden gun with three shots that deal a huge amount of damage. I didn't read the description of future skills too closely on these, however so maybe they get more dynamic. As of now, at level 8, they are much less impressive than some of the class abilities you can get in the Borderlands games. There also seems to be a third, empty space next to the locked out sub-class we get at lvl 15. I don't know if that's something left on the UI or something Bungie didn't want to reveal in the beta, but I hope they have something more for us because it would help bring in a little more variety.

im-white

Mar 24, 2010
it felt like a console version of tabula rasa. seriously it seems like an exact clone with less of the mmo aspect.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm, interesting to read the impressions here. I am on the fence on even bothering to get into the beta. It just seems so goody two shoes compared to Borderlands. None of the attitude. Also is it me or are the RPG elements a lot less meaningful than in BL2. On the other hand, I really like the more open world approach of teaming up, the more relevant drops and keeping a weapon for more than 2 levels does not sound bad at all!

An opportunity missed is the silly melee. FPS melee is such an afterthought. Why doesn't someone jump on this. Well, I guess Itagaki is with Devil's Third. Maybe I should wait for that. Attitude? Check! Melee? Check!

Lol, I literally figured this out while typing. Yea me.

As you were :)

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
currently waiting for it to install... it has been over four hours now and im at about 60%. i guess ill have to vote later.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Only running at 30FPS is really undesirable for a shooter like in this day and age, and you'd kinda expect more from the generation at this stage.

They've expressed interest in a PC version, however, have also stated that porting to the highest revenue platform is "Too much work". So, Iunno. I can't say I'm too optimistic from what I've heard from my friend in the beta.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
joest01 said:
Hmm, interesting to read the impressions here. I am on the fence on even bothering to get into the beta. It just seems so goody two shoes compared to Borderlands. None of the attitude. Also is it me or are the RPG elements a lot less meaningful than in BL2. On the other hand, I really like the more open world approach of teaming up, the more relevant drops and keeping a weapon for more than 2 levels does not sound bad at all!

An opportunity missed is the silly melee. FPS melee is such an afterthought. Why doesn't someone jump on this. Well, I guess Itagaki is with Devil's Third. Maybe I should wait for that. Attitude? Check! Melee? Check!

Lol, I literally figured this out while typing. Yea me.

As you were :)
Did you only play as the warrior class or whatever it's called? The Warlock one is a cool force blast.

I actually loved this demo. I did get to participate in several dynamic world events and they were fun. Especially to see people around me joining forces away from whatever we'd been doing before. PVP was fun and the questing was fun.

Personally, I find FPS more meaningful in an MMO than I did with my years in 3rd person in WoW.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I got a beta code today from a friend and I'll be playing it tonight sometime. I'm really ready to give this a shot soon, it looks so good. :)

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
My impressions are as follow:

Microsoft are a bunch of dicks for not putting the beta up in the brazilian live, so they can go fuck themselfs for it. For this and others I am starting to believe that Microsoft don't want brazilian money for putting up a such shit service for us, I was so looking foward to it too... :(

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
What are people's favorite spots to chill in the Tower? Right now I'm sitting at the top of the tree.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Lets see, the STYLE of Borderlands is cool, but everything else about it is really boring.
Halo is super generic sci-fi with bad gameplay, and I have yet to see anything cool come out of it.
Almost all MMO's are boring as hell and a complete waste of time.

How does Destiny fair by combining these things? Exactly as you'd think.
It's just a mishmash of a bunch of boring game ideas, so it came out as another boring game.

It's exactly what I figured it'd be when they described it.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
BMy brother and roommate have been playing it all day and they're certainly enjoying it.

Personally the graphics are quite good but nothing special. Character customization is more limited than i'd expected but my brother and roommate spend waaaay more time on that anyway. More character voices would have been nice. Or at least some kind of distortion effect on the EXO's voices but maybe that's something they can add in later. Voice acting itself seems good ( I loved the Speaker's Speech though my roommate didn't trust him). Gameplay looks solid if nothing revolutionary and there seems to be an interesting story behind it for those who stop to listen and don't rush past plot (like most of the MMO players I've known no offense intended to any here).

By all rights I should be begging for my turn but instead I have almost zero interest for exactly one reason. There is no actual way to play singleplayer. Yes most of the content (aside from the strike level) that was in the beta could be done alone, at least in theory. But even so there would be people dropping in and out of the game world helping where they're not wanted or ignoring when I might have actually wanted it (hyppocritical I know but still) possibly with mics being loud and annoying. Big blue gamertags intruding on the visuals when I don't want them there. I don't even like playing games with someone in the same room.

I refuse to buy a game that has no true singleplayer component. Give me a way to ensure that I don't have to run into anyone named L77tb1tchn1gg4 (I apologize for the slur but this is an actual guy I played with in ME3 that was a truly horrible person and a worse player to be honest) and I'll be playing on release day.

The same problem killed Titanfall for me when it was announced.