Poll: Did Portal 2 surpass it's predecessor?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
In the gameplay, yes. But first one was, well, first. It had this charm of something new and fresh, which would be impossible for second game to achieve. In the terms of narration 2 is very different then 1.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Generic Gamer said:
The only thing Portal 2 did wrong was a lack of portal surfaces.

Remember that puzzle in Portal 1 that no one ever does the way the dev team designed it? Well Portal 2 didn't have any freeform creative puzzles, there was always a single right way to do it.
Which puzzle was that? I played through Portal several times (as did everyone) and I almost never really found different ways of solving a puzzle even after actively trying to do so. But if you can describe which puzzle you're referring to, I might crank it back up and check it out.

"Conversion Gel" and "the Fucking Moon" X)

TheRealCJ said:
All I said was that it was less surprising than the first one. I knew the dialogue was going to be hilarious, I knew that the song by Jonathan Coulton was going to rapidly become one of my favourites, I knew the puzzles were going to be amazingly complex, I knew what to expect.

I played the first Portal game with no idea what I was getting into when I first started playing.
This is a common trend for an answer and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, imo, may I confess that I don't fully "comprehend" why being a surprise Wild card was a pro for Portal1?

Or indeed why the fact that Portal 2 was advertised (with an ingenious campaign, as you probably know, too) ans expected to be awesome was a con. People don't praise Mass Effect over ME2 becuase the latter was "expected to be awesome". Would you kindly, help me understand the difference?
I don't understand why you think that I think that Portal 2 was worse than Portal.

Portal 2 is an excellent game. I personally think as a game itself it's just a good as the first game.

So if both games are both equally good in terms of gameplay and writing, I have to look elsewhere. Originality, for example.

Marcosn

Jun 26, 2009
Megacherv said:

I'm sorry, but that song is beautiful, nobody can deny that. This part alone surpasses the masterpiece of Portal and puts Portal 2 to near-perfection
I was with my brother while he beat the game and i was expecting just a normal song like in the 1st but then that came on and it was beautiful. I think portal 2 has one of the best endings of any game i've ever played, this includes the ending to the final boss and all the things that came afterwards.

I think that portal 2 was better than portal because it had Co-op which i loved and also the sheer awesomeness of the characters and what they say.
(i plan on getting the sound files of the different cores and putting them on my phone as alarms/ringtones)

The Wykydtron said:

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
I think Portal 2 surpassed it's predecessor and it's a good example on how to make sequels, Valve offered us more of the same we liked in the first game like puzzles and Glados, but also adding new stuff like Co-op mode, showing us the history behind Aperture Science, introducing new characters like Wheatley or Cave Johnson the founder of Aperture, new puzzle mechanics like the gels from those old tests chambers and so on.

The sequel is better, period! And while Portal 2 was more about showing us the past, maybe Portal 3 will be about the future of Aperture ... Who know?! But I can certainly say I can't wait for part three.

Apr 24, 2008
Yes, I enjoyed it more in every way...pretty sad when it ended.

In retrospect, the first feels like a proof of concept for the second to really expand upon. I'd say the same for L4D.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
adrian_exec said:
The sequel is better, period! And while Portal 2 was more about showing us the past, maybe Portal 3 will be about the future of Aperture ... Who know?! But I can certainly say I can't wait for part three.
Have you heard about Portal 3? I somehow doubt that they will make one, since 2 ended Chell's story pretty well.. But maybe they will make more with Atlas and P-Body.. Who knows?

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I have to say yes. It was more of the same... Much more. Added gameplay elements, an expanded and extremely detailed world and a lovable cast. It's just that it lost some of the magic(oooh) that the first game had since it was new and unique. But as a game it definitely surpassed its predecessor.

Edit:
Megacherv said:
I absolutely loved it. This song slipped passed me the first time I played through the game since I finished it in one sitting. I think this is the most ominous and beautiful menu screen ever made:

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I think portal 2 did bring alot of new stuff to the table:
More mechanics to work with;
The gels, the hard light, the funnels, the faith platforms.
It was way longer which was great.
Co-op.
More fantastic writing and very good pacing.

So yeah i think overall portal 2 is a much better experiance.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Er... yes and no. But mostly yes.

I think Portal 2 is a better game when judged purely on its own merits. But it loses points for being a sequel. See, the first game was new and was based on a unique mechanic. The sequel, by definition, cannot do that. The sense of wonder is gone.

Oh yeah, and I think 'Still Alive' was better than "Want You Gone'.

But screw it. I loved both of 'em.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
legion431 said:
Yes, by far. Richer character development. Brilliant Co-op mode. Some of the best quotes in video game history.
It also added several elements to the puzzles that weren't in the first game and really added to the complexity. Also, it's longer. Definitely surpassed portal, it was a perfect sequel. It added a bunch of elements to the game play that don't inter fear with the original, and don't change the "feel" of the game, but which make game play more interesting. The story built on the original in a different direction. I don't think I will ever see a better sequel in any industry except maybe epic fantasy books.

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
The actual puzzels where kinda more of the same old portal stuff, but thats to be expected with a game like portal.

The characters, story and the extra stuff they put in like the goo's made it better in my opinion.

But adding a creation tool allowing you to make your own experiments would ahve been toooo epic!!!!!!!!!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DJDarque said:
Absolutely. I thought of Portal as the appetizer and Portal 2 as the main course.
Yea. Portal 1 (as brilliant as it is) never felt like a complete meal.
I originally thought it was a dlc pack for HalfLife... which it kind of was.
Portal 2 is definitely a full game. I haven't even finished it yet (I was just introduced to the gel) and I would say that it has surpassed P1.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
It's the test chamber where you walk in down a corridor, you have a 'pit' to the left, the exit in front of you and a door to the right. At the end GLaDOS says that a 'victory elevator has been activated in the main chamber'. The intended way to do the puzzle is to head to the left, have the stairs raise out of the pit, place a cube on a button to open the door opposite, hop through there and redirect a pellet into a receptacle to power the lift.

Phew.

The 'other' way to do it is to portal to the left, bypassing the pit so that the stairs don't raise out, place a portal in front of the elevator and one at the bottom of the pit and use your fall into the portal to reach the door.

By 'lack of portal surfaces' I mean it was always fairly obvious where to put the portals, I loved the sections with conversion gel purely because I got to pop portals wherever I want. Most of the puzzles were more about searching for a portal surface than figuring out how to use momentum.

Incidentally I loved that first room with Conversion gel (the 'lemons' room), I went mental and repainted the entire room with gel! Oh and the fluid physics in that game are gorgeous.
I know which test you're talking about......and I never did it that "easy" way. Not even in the challenge mode, where it was a pain in the ass to even get the damn box.

That seems more like exploiting an unfortunate oversight in level design, than a legitimate "other way" of doing it though, tbh.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Legion said:
Other and this:
Casual Shinji said:
It didn't really surpass its predecessor, it simply continued the enrichment.
It was longer, funnier and more diverse, but Portal was original and started it off, so while Portal 2 certainly improved on many things, I do not think of it as 'Portal 2 > Portal'. I think they are both fantastic.
The jokes were of a much darker nature too. I can see myself switching between portal and portal 2 depending if I want to hear GLaDOS insult Chell or if I want the witty-silliness of her talk of cake and bending the truth and killing the companion cube.

I vastly enjoyed the difference, they can't be compared, only place together as one good series rather than two separate good games

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I think portal 2 was better in absolutely every single way than Portal 1.

Dialogue: Better.
Atmosphere: Better.
Puzzles: Better.
Worldbuilding: Better.
Characters: Better.

I can't think of a single thing Portal 1 does better.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
This is a common trend for an answer and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, imo, may I confess that I don't fully "comprehend" why being a surprise Wild card was a pro for Portal1?

Or indeed why the fact that Portal 2 was advertised (with an ingenious campaign, as you probably know, too) ans expected to be awesome was a con. People don't praise Mass Effect over ME2 becuase the latter was "expected to be awesome". Would you kindly, help me understand the difference?
I don't understand why you think that I think that Portal 2 was worse than Portal.

Portal 2 is an excellent game. I personally think as a game itself it's just a good as the first game.

So if both games are both equally good in terms of gameplay and writing, I have to look elsewhere. Originality, for example.
I never said, that you said, that Portal 2 was worse (i can't believe I got that sentence right).

I'm just saying that you placed "Unadvertised, indie wild card" as being one of Portal 1's Pro's/Merits and you put "Heavily Advertised, expected-to-be-awesome AAA game" as one of Portal 2's con's/Lackings. I wanna know why you (and others) did that.

Originality is a good basis for judgment becuase that actually HAS something to do with the game itself. Advertising campaign Does NOT have anything to do with the game? Hence, is it not unfair to deduct marks (however few) from Portal 2's book just because it was "expected"?

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Considering how high my expectations have been for this game, the fact that this game surpassed even those is a testament to how talented the guys at Valve are. Not only was it longer and filled with more content, like many people may have wanted out of the first, it was more well-written, it was funnier, the puzzles were much more clever, and co-op is my brad new addiction of the moment.

So...yeah pretty much

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
The ending to Portal 2 was simply incredible. I honestly didn't expect the booby trap on the stalemate button, but knew what to do immediately when I saw the moon (the foreshadowing wasn't at all subtle). Craziest and probably best video game ending I can recall.

Overall, I think Portal 2 is better than Portal, though I'd need to replay both to really get my thoughts on the two straight. Both are some of the greatest experiences I've ever ha in gaming (and on a short list of games I've beaten without any help from a strategy guide).