Poll: Did Star Trek break the real Space-program?

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
I asked myself that once: The real Space-program doesn't get much Attention and very little Money. Classic Star Trek showed us the Stars in a Way the Space-program can not. The Space-program showed us that there are many huge Obstacles to overcome before we can have Colonies on the Moon, something that was too mundane for Star Trek, but far off in the Future for us.
Having seen that, is it possible that People lost interest in real Space and instead watched more Trek?

Bleh, i broke the Poll. [ ]yes, [ ]no [ ]other.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
What? No. As far as I know like half the people who worked for NASA said at one point or another that Star Trek got them interested in space. If anything it did the opposite.

Redweaver

Apr 1, 2009
Liquidacid23 said:
no... reality ruined the space program...

at first it was all "yeahhhhhhhhhh space man this is cool"

now it's "fuck this, going into space is expensive, difficult and unprofitable"

right now going into space is like climbing the Himalaya... ya it's cool to say you did it but it really serves no useful purpose...
Microminiaturization driving the personal computer boom. MRIs. Velcro. High quality camera optics. Global communication. Weather forcasting. Advances in hydroponics.

Yeah, no useful purpose there.

The trouble isn't there's no useful purpose, the trouble is people not connecting all the great things we use every day that came out of the space program.

NASA needs a PR firm.

And another Moon shot.

Redweaver

Apr 1, 2009
Liquidacid23 said:
Redweaver said:
Liquidacid23 said:
no... reality ruined the space program...

at first it was all "yeahhhhhhhhhh space man this is cool"

now it's "fuck this, going into space is expensive, difficult and unprofitable"

right now going into space is like climbing the Himalaya... ya it's cool to say you did it but it really serves no useful purpose...
Microminiaturization driving the personal computer boom. MRIs. Velcro. High quality camera optics. Global communication. Weather forcasting. Advances in hydroponics.

Yeah, no useful purpose there.

The trouble isn't there's no useful purpose, the trouble is people not connecting all the great things we use every day that came out of the space program.

NASA needs a PR firm.

And another Moon shot.
space travel was not the sole inspiration or contributing factor in any of those... in fact war was the real driving force behind the whole space exploration program and all those and the space program can be attributed to that instead... not to mention none of those were profitable or actually useful till they were applied here... there is just nothing right now IN SPACE that is worth the cost to go up their for (aside from launching satellites which we don't need a space program for anymore)... as I said reality ruined it because there is just no practical reason to do it now...

when looked at from a practical point of view war has driven more development and produced more useful and profitable things than any other driving force in human existence (except maybe survival but we got that licked now)... so more war less trips to the moon
Pressure relief of having a frontier to reduce our planetary population. A major goal driving global innovation. Potential revenue streams from tourism and industry, both manufacturing and resource extraction. A major goal to drive education and give students a huge potential jobset to train for. Massive labor market.

Yeah, I don't see any good reasons to go now either.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Lack of respect for physics and mathematics is what broke the space program.

Kids these days aren't interested when physicists talk about all the amazing things we know, they only care when we might be wrong. If you talk about quantum mechanics they want to focus on how they've heard it's "weird" and so it must be wrong and will be replaced one day. If you talk about relativity they want to focus on how "it's just a theory and we've been wrong before so maybe we can go faster than light who knows." They complain about string theory even though they don't know anything, etc.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Many pety and insignificant little things have brought us to where we are with the space program. I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson put it best. Star Trek certainly hasn't done anything to damage it.