Poll: Did You Receive An Allowance?

ComandaKool

Jun 5, 2011
What was your 'allowance' situation as a child/teen. Did you receive an allowance or were you simply a source of cheap labor.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I was pretty lucky to have a weekly allowance -we call it pocket money- even on weeks I didn't do anything. I love my parents <3.

Oct 10, 2011
I pretty much did everything around the house because I was with my single mom who is disabled, and I got paid about $80 every month. However my mom would then "borrow" my money for gambling, and lose it all.

So, I entered "yes for completion of chores",because I did technically get an allowance, even if I never got to keep it.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Nope never, though I'd just steal whatever I wanted, I used to be pretty good at it too, it's how I got most of my games, my bike and other stuff, not just from home though, I stole from anyone even broke into a supermarket's warehouse once, I was pretty terrible but it was a lot of fun, I kinda miss it but I have a conscience now and it won't let me, even if it's a really easy target.
But anyway, allowance? Nah, just quick fingers.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Yeah, though it fluctuated a lot. At one point it was $5 a week just for doing random stuff, though for 6 months I just used that money for a Runescape subscription (don't judge me). Later it became $5 an hour, but I actually had to do work. It was then changed to $6 an hour to better accommodate parts of the hour.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Not really. I usually just asked for money when I wanted to do things or go somewhere.

I helped with the cleaning and stuff around the house but I didn't do it for money.

That and I got a job at 16, so when I started going out and doing things that actually cost money I had my own source of income.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Not even a little. also learned not to leave money laying around because they'll pick it up.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
When I was 10yr I got $10 week. That lasted for about a year. I had to do things like vacuum, mop, unload and load dishwasher, Take bins out etc.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nope.
Well least not in the traditional sense. Me and my siblings would ask for money for something every so great often and our parents would usually oblige. We weren't wealthy at all either, so I'm sure that money could have easily went to something we needed. Amazing people my parents are.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, I started getting a monthly one when I became a teenager. It was child benefit money, which was around 950SEK(£95). Never lasted long though since I burned everything on tobacco, alcohol and CDs. Had to ask for money quite often.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Yep, I got pocket money, about £6 a week. It went on sweets and sticker packs for my Pokemon sticker album.
It'd increase every few years for my birthday. When mine increased so did my sisters but when hers did for her birthday, mine didn't! I was sooo pissed off.

I got a job at 14 by telling them I was 16, worked on Saturdays for £30 a week. I got it near Christmas time so I could buy presents. They were a set of dicks so I walked out after Christmas and never came back.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I got between £2/week when I was younger up to £20/month during mid-to-late teens. Quickly became superfluous when I got a job as a lifeguard in town. THough I didn't have any set chores, I'd just be asked to do stuff and I would oblige.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Not really. Now my dad would give me $20 every so often for the hell of it but I never really had an allowance. There were things I could do around the house that could net me money if I wanted to but it was never forced. I really never had a steady income of money until I got my first job.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
I started to receive 50p a week when I was around 8 but that soon stopped when money got much tighter. I'd still receive presents every so often so I can't complain.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
My mother said that food and shelter was enough for me. On the other hand, if I ever really needed something they would buy it for me, and sometimes even if I didn't need it. So I can't really complain, plus I never did any chores.

Aug 1, 2010
Cheap labor.

2 bucks a week to take the trash out.

Bumped to 4 to include compost.

Went up to 6 for the occasional lawn mowing.

Took a buck a week off to have my parents pay for Xbox Live.

And yes, I DO still get allowance. Having a college near my parents home is awesome.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Yup. And not once did I spend it on anything worthwhile. ... Well, I did get Ghost Recon (the first one) for the PC after saving up some money. I had quite recently been given a PC by my dad because his job was moving offices and there had been a bit of a "free-for-all" where people basically stole everything that wasn't bolted down because it would be trashed if not X3. He grabbed 2 PCs and I got one because I was the oldest. Victory! I was 11 years old at the time, but people used to say I look older than I actually am so I got to buy it even though it was rated for 16 years +. A couple of my friends and I played that game to death, it was pretty much the only game all of us owned that we could play online X3.

I also worked every summer in the factory my dad did, earning any money that would go to buy more substantial stuff. Mostly though I was a pretty spoiled kid, I think my dad still tries to overcompensate for my mom not being around X3. And I'm 22!

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I never had an allowance- rather, if I was good my parents would skip the money part and go straight to the 'getting a cool toy' part of the equation. I reckon it was better that way, because whenever I'm at work I cringe when little kids come in and blow their allowances on crappy little things, rather than spending on something worthwhile.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I got paid $2 a week in allowance, for just doing what I was supposed to. When I was about 12 or so my bro and I picked up a paper route, so the allowance stopped.