Poll: Die Hard or Godfather?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sleekit said:
Die Hard is one of the most perfect action movies ever made.

as for The Godfather..."everyone" knows the second is better...apparently

so Die Hard wins :p

....also i liked The Money Pit :|
What about Die Hard's case of crap sequelitis?

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Niether?

I couldn't make it through either of these films. Both are grossly overrated IMO.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Hazy992 said:
They're not really comparable are they? One's a dark, gritty crime drama, the other's a big, epic no holds barred action movie. They're in entirely different ball parks and some of the best examples in their respective genres.

I'd say Die Hard scratched an itch more than Godfather did as I really like action movies, but I wouldn't necessarily say Die Hard is better.
I wouldn't call die hard epic, because its pretty small scale. Explosive I think is more fitting.

But yeah, This is like comparing pineapples to regular apples. A quick observation reveals superficial similarities (vaguely similar aesthetics, crime is involved, the protagonists disobey police officers), but they are fundamentally different movies.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Total LOLige said:
Dudes, of course they're comparable he asked which did you prefer not which is better. I'd say Godfather but I haven't seen Die Hard.
You'll want to rectify that situation asap. The first and third are the best IMHO. The 4th and 5th are very... different, and the second and 5th are pretty meh.

alphamalet said:
Niether?

I couldn't make it through either of these films. Both are grossly overrated IMO.
What didn't you like about them? Sure the godfather was a bit slow, but I thought it was pretty interesting.
Not so sure what was wrong with the first Die Hard though. It's been some time so I can't really remember that much.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Hold on, need to do something first.

Now i chose Die Hard over the Godfather. Die hard is a great action flick and i saw it a bunch of times. However i never understood why the Godfather is so praised. Tried to watch it a couple of times and always just got bored of it. Everybody i talk too says the Godfather is one of the best movies ever, but i never got passed the first 15 minutes or so.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Neuromancer said:
zumbledum said:
hes asking for an opinion on what you prefer not for an empirical proof of whats best so you can choose.

Die hard for me , Godfather is seriously over rated in my opinion
And by saying I find that Die Hard isn't nearly as grand as The Godfather I stated my opinion on the matter, clearly showing my preference towards The Godfather.
OK we are well into the realms of pedantry here, and its starting to feel like i am picking on you but that's simply not what you said.

Neuromancer said:
However, for discussion's sake, if I were to arbitrarily compare them, I would say this:

Die Hard is an action flick. A GREAT action flick, perhaps the best one there is, but it still isn't anywhere near as grand as the Godfather.
your not offering an opinion at all , your saying that if you were to arbitrarily pick one , then you don't instead you give two quantifying statements. without making a choice.

and from the statements given you imply a preference for die hard, as great means anything from above average to excellence and grand means either large or stylish.

and as neither statement is a measure of personal preference not only was your statement not clear but actually absent. and hypothetical in the first place.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
So it's 2 in the morning, and I'm still awake on the internet. My brain is 80% shut down, but for some reason I felt like making a post. By now this is probably long enough to not be flagged as spam, so which of these two classic movies do you prefer?
Don't go against the family, Matthew.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Sleekit said:
....also i liked The Money Pit :|
Aha! You're like the only other person I've ever encountered who also likes the Money Pit! YAY!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Die Hard for me. Never seen the Godfather series, never plan on it. Don't give a rat's ass about the obsession and romanticizing of the Italian Mafia, or any other Mafia family for that matter. Abnoxious, annoying, loud, overbearing guys in suits just doesn't interest me. Sorry if this is blasphemy that I dare speak so poorly of the great movie trilogy, but really I just don't give a shit about them.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
If I had to only have one film for the rest of my life, then obviously The Godfather is the superior film. However, as others have pointed out, they're not really comparable.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I do prefer, Leave the gun, take the canolli, over, Hans, bubie, I'm your knight in shining armour. The Godfather is better shot and far better lit IMHO.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Die Hard

This is an easy choice for me as I'll usually consider the more re-watchable film to be superior. In a world where I could only watch each film once and never again I suppose Godfather would get the nod.

Some of other extremeley re-watchable flicks I'd rank higher than The Godfather:
- Rocky 4
- The Rock
- Terminator 2
- Jurassic Park
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Back to the Future
- Apollo 13 (while not a popular re-watchable film for many I watch it over and over again and love every bit of it)
etc

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Godfather is the better film but I have to say I prefer Die Hard. I just prefer action movies to mobster movies.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Both answers are objectively wrong.

The movie you are looking for is Robot Jox, the best film ever made.

"Fuck yes the whole film you are a Legend!" - George Mellons, 1 day ago

"POWERGLOVE-BROFIST!!" - CartridgeCrash, 1 week ago

"Robot Jox >> The Godfather" - jaredkingisdaboss, 4 days ago

"cocksaw" - ElderCaptain5, 1 month ago

Taldeer

Apr 15, 2009
Die Hard is just much more fun. I always felt that The Godfather is waaaaay too long and it never managed to engage me on an emotional level. Not that I weep for McLane, but at least he makes me root for him and laugh out loud. :)

Taldeer

Apr 15, 2009
Phuctifyno said:
Both answers are objectively wrong.

The movie you are looking for is Robot Jox, the best film ever made.

"Fuck yes the whole film you are a Legend!" - George Mellons, 1 day ago

"POWERGLOVE-BROFIST!!" - CartridgeCrash, 1 week ago

"Robot Jox >> The Godfather" - jaredkingisdaboss, 4 days ago

"cocksaw" - ElderCaptain5, 1 month ago
You sir are awesome. I saw this movie on VHS almost twenty years ago. I could've never found it on my own. Thank you!

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Taldeer said:
You sir are awesome. I saw this movie on VHS almost twenty years ago. I could've never found it on my own. Thank you!
No problem. Well, I don't know if you've already looked it up, but if it's worth anything to ya, someone's posted the whole movie on youtube. I thought it'd be a bit much to post that clip in the forum, so I went with the trailer, but I believe you only have to search the title to find it.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
zumbledum said:
your not offering an opinion at all , your saying that if you were to arbitrarily pick one , then you don't instead you give two quantifying statements. without making a choice.
I did make a choice, I chose Godfather.

zumbledum said:
and from the statements given you imply a preference for die hard, as great means anything from above average to excellence and grand means either large or stylish.
Grand also means wonderful, magnificent. As such I said that while Die Hard is an excellent action flick, it isn't nearly as magnificent as the Godfather.

zumbledum said:
and as neither statement is a measure of personal preference not only was your statement not clear but actually absent. and hypothetical in the first place.
It seems to me that the whole argument spawned because you were unaware of the fact that grand also means magnificent. Otherwise I am pretty certain that my statement is very clear.

But whatever the case, I choose Godfather. There, I chose one. Can we move on with our lives now?

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I enjoyed both movies but here, forced to chose between the two by some anonymous internet person, I'm going to go with the one that had the decency to only produce one shitty sequel (Godfather Pt. III) as opposed to the one that spawned two shitty sequels (Live Free or Die Hard + A Good Day to Die Hard) and likely has aspirations for more.