Poll: Discussion: The Long Dark

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
Yay or Nay?

The Long Dark is a survival game set in the canadian north, it is currently in early access with only the sandbox mode available. You forage for supplies, manage several stat bars (cold, hunger, thirst) and last as long as possible. Most of the user reviews have been positive, but there are a few doubts scattered here and there:

1.Why can't you use all of the wooden furniture and extra wool clothing you find to start fires?

2.Why aren't you wearing every piece of clothing you find? Has the player/designer never heard of layers?

3.equipment degrades at a fascinating rate, one chop of wood will degrade your AXE by 10 percent, etc.

Small complaints maybe, but for a game that is emphasizing survival, it sure doesn't feel like what the survival guides tell us is survival.

I do like the art design, the excellent sound and the fact that my survivor sounds a bit like Jennifer Hale.

I do understand that it is early access, but I want to hear your thoughts regardless.

So tell me what you think.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Thoughtful_Salt said:
Yay or Nay?

The Long Dark is a survival game set in the canadian north, it is currently in early access with only the sandbox mode available. You forage for supplies, manage several stat bars (cold, hunger, thirst) and last as long as possible. Most of the user reviews have been positive, but there are a few doubts scattered here and there:

1.Why can't you use all of the wooden furniture and extra wool clothing you find to start fires?

2.Why aren't you wearing every piece of clothing you find? Has the player/designer never heard of layers?

3.equipment degrades at a fascinating rate, one chop of wood will degrade your AXE by 10 percent, etc.

Small complaints maybe, but for a game that is emphasizing survival, it sure doesn't feel like what the survival guides tell us is survival.

I do like the art design, the excellent sound and the fact that my survivor sounds a bit like Jennifer Hale.

I do understand that it is early access, but I want to hear your thoughts regardless.

So tell me what you think.
I guess this is a necro and there's been quite a few updates.

1. Actually you can use wooden furniture. If you're inside a house and select the gather wood option you have "reclaimed wood" the implication is you're breaking down furniture/peeling off wood boards.

2. That would be smart. I would have multiple layers, stuff cloth scraps in vulnerable spots and wrap my sleeping bag aroundme while I walk. But it makes sense from a gameplay mechanic. There needs to be incentive to find warmer clothes/make them.

3. I think they've fixed this. It's slower. But also items (I think I have no evidence) degrade faster closer to 100 or 0% in the middle they sort of linger. It makes sense the sharpness of a knife is going to wear off quickly, but then take a long while to actually break.

An interesting thing people starting the game don't realise is it's okay to let yourself freeze or starve, if only for a short while. It drops condition slowly which eventually kills you. But condition bounces back very quickly once you rest with a bit of food and water.

I think I managed 3-4 days on only 700 calories while making my weather gear and bow.

Fun fact. It IS Jennifer Hale as the female character and hopefully in the main campaign when it gets finished.

It's a great game. I'm loving it. It's pretty brutal though.