Poll: Discworld!

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
The librarian.

Sam Vimes was the part of the reason I stopped reading Pratchett. He's a very limited character. Death is a bit better, but Pratchett used him too much. Rincewind too. Come to think of it, I found his best novels the completely original ones with original characters, like Small Gods. He simply reused characters too much.

Nopodop

Jan 2, 2011
I love the discworld series, but can only stand the Ankh-Morpork based books. My favourite character would have to be Death, but I also love Rincewind and his excellent survival instincts of cowardice.
William De Worde and Vimes are good to.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Vimes is one of my most favourite characters ever. I love his sarcasm, his moral code and actually pretty much everything about him. I am highly fond of his slow character progress, since each book he learns either a new trick or has to deal with a new problem about him.

Moist of Lipvig is a great character as well, if only for the comic value.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Sam Vimes without a doubt.
Vetinari is second, I so want a book describing his ascension!

But really, they´re all good. Honourable mentions to:
Mustrum Ridcully,
Rincewind,
Sg. Jack "Upon My Oath" Jackrum
Cohen,
The Colon/Nobbs-braintrust
and Lu-Tze

I will never, ever tire of that wold.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I only look a little into Discworld and then forgot about it. And I definitely have not read the books. Yet. I need to find a new book to read so I'll definitely think about trying to get one of the Discworld books.

Dec 16, 2009
such a shame the Discworld series hasn't traslated into other mediums.
SkyONE did Hogfather if i remember rightly, but it didn't work for me at the time

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Vimes, IMHO, is the best actaul character, and his books tend to be the best actual stories.

A lot of Discworld tends to be odd bits and pieces stuck together, and often that works very well (except when Pratchett can't resist being pretentious or pontificating), but doesn't lend itself to story or character development.

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
Lord Vetinari and Death come in close 3rd and 2nd but hands down first has to be Lu-Tze from Thief of Time.

It's my favorite Discworld book and I just love his charecter for some reason. Not saying I don't like Vimes or the wizards because I do, I just don't love them as much.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Sam Vimes. But that's mostly as a shout out to the entire City Watch.

Though we must not ignore the fact of what Vimes has taught us, namely:

• You can come from anywhere, and still be a great man. Great being loosely defined of course.
    Always be faithful to your wife.
    Always be there for your children.
    Always be ready to serve your country/city/village/shanty/cardboard box.

Sam Vimes is a man worth writing stories about. I mean come on, even the Assassins Guild has stopped taking contracts on him. XD

Oh and
Code:
DEATH
. Yep, no one there quite like
Code:
DEATH

And Lord Vetinari. Need I say anything? :3

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I love Discworld and I love the Characters but the absolute best is Sam Vimes. He's amazing.

Special mentions go to Death, Susan, The Sweeper, Gaspode the Wonder Dog, Vetinari and Granny Weatherwax.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Nopodop said:
I love the discworld series, but can only stand the Ankh-Morpork based books. My favourite character would have to be Death, but I also love Rincewind and his excellent survival instincts of cowardice.
William De Worde and Vimes are good to.
But...Death is barely in Ankh Morpork...?

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
SkyONE did Hogfather if i remember rightly, but it didn't work for me at the time
You've missed out on a lot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Film_and_television

I hope The Watch does happen, they've got the best stories and it could easily be a miniseries as opposed to a two or three parter covering just one book.

Dec 16, 2009
Stasisesque said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
You've missed out on a lot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Film_and_television

I hope The Watch does happen, they've got the best stories and it could easily be a miniseries as opposed to a two or three parter covering just one book.
David Jason playing Rincewind sounds interesting, i'll have to hope Sky shows then again. there are so many watch books it would seem a shame to waste the opportunity for a series

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
As everyone else has said, it's really hard to pick just one character.

Having said that, Sam Vimes is Batman. Seriously. Look at the similarities:
- Both are incredibly rich but prefer dispensing justice to being part of high society
- Both have incredible willpower that puts them on a competitive level with more powerful, supernatural
- Both have surprisingly capable butlers
- Both are experts at working in the dark
- Both are just complete badasses in general
- JUSTICE

Mr Ink 5000 said:
Stasisesque said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:

David Jason playing Rincewind sounds interesting, i'll have to hope Sky shows then again. there are so many watch books it would seem a shame to waste the opportunity for a series
They did alright with Colour of Magic, but I think they completely butchered the characters in Going Postal.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I think the Ankh Morpork City Watch has the highest concentration of badassery, style and efficiency on the Disc.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Damn, I have a lot of favorite characters in this series of books.

Death, Rincewind, Vimes, The Patrician(sp?), Ridiculy, The Librarian, Granny Weatherwax and co. The Brusar and the Night Watch gang.

Can I also mention those crazy Auditors as well?

Sigh: Susan, the fine people of Ankh-Morpork.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Launcelot111 said:
I've only played the board game, which is thoroughly adequate, but everyone I play with loves the books.

Where would one suggest starting with these? As far as I'm aware there are dozens of them.
Start with Guards! Guards! or Mort. Both are good, and both aren't preceded by any other books in their own series. What I mean is that Guards! Guards! is the first book about Sam Vimes, and Mort is the first one with Death as a main character. Do not start with The Colour of Magic. It's not representative of the series as a whole, so you won't get a correct first impression. Sure, it was written first, but still.

Also, my favorite character? Death followed extremely closely by Vetinari, followed very closely by Sam Vimes.