Poll: Discworld!

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
It's hard to pick, but if i had to choose a favourite story series it would be The Watch books because of the way Vimes, Vetinari and Carrot just FIT. They work together so well.

Favourite character would have to be His Grace the Duke of Ankh Sir Samuel Vimes Commander of the City Watch, Blackboard Monitor and King of the River.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Cap'n Sam Vimes FTW, with Death a close second.

Everyone should read Discworld.

Everyone who refuses to read should be beaten about the face and neck. Then they should watch the live-action The Color of Magic and Hogfather movies, actually pretty good renditions.

Then they should read the books.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I voted for Sam Vimes in the poll, but mostly as a vote for the whole city watch. Does any one else get the feeling that they're Pratchett's favourite too? As the series has gone on the overall focus has definitely shifted from Rincewind to Vimes. I think my favourite is The Fifth Elephant, if only for the gloomy trousers.
A few reasons there,

1). Their is only so many times you can stick the same character in trouble and then have him run away

Pratchett has actually said that Rincewind is not one of his favourites mainly because their is little character development for him

2). In the early books the other University characters were more place holders, they appeared for one maybe two books at most before getting killed off, any that appeared in the early books didn't generally get much back story they were generally there to help drive whatever situation was present which leads to
3). The later books have essentially done away with killing off the Wizards at UU, and has instead decided to fill them out and give them a bigger back story and more focus in the books that they appear in, Rincewind is no longer a character by himself he is a part of the UU character as a whole now.

David Jason playing Rincewind sounds interesting
Interesting but totally wrong, wrong build, generally the wrong look and from his previous works not the right character. Rik Mayall would have been a much better Rincewind, playing a slightly down toned version of his Richie from Bottom!

As for favourite, Moist Von Lipwig and of course Lord Havelock Vetinari

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
David Jason already played Albert in Hogfather, having him play Rincewind as well was just horrible and I think he was completely miscast.

Eric Idle would make the best Rincewind, in my opinion.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
That's it, I'm going to read Discworld

Apparently it's like the best thing that happened to literature, I feel like I'm missing out big time.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Those options are all on my list of favourite Discworld-characters (only Archchancellor Ridcully and Granny Weatherwax are missing), but the narrow favourite is Death.

MakerofMysteries

Feb 21, 2012
Sam Vimes, of course, although I think the echo of that name has already bounced around the thread quite a few times. Apart from being fantastically dark and cynical, he's actually a great source of inspiration to a young lad going through his teens, with his rigid moral code and assorted imperfections. To say that Vimes is a three-dimensional character would be an understatement; even Cthulhu would get dizzy looking at all his odd angles. And the way he loves Sybil, so wonderful.

I kind of started at the wrong end of the series, what with the first Discworld book I ever read being Hogfather, closely followed by Thud! A good entry-point, though, would be the Tiffany Aching series, with the Wee Free Men, ("Crivens! Whut aboot us, ye daftie!") who should have been an option in this poll, although I suppose that it might be out of respect for their fear of having their name written down that they were left out.

Then we have Vetinari, DEATH, Granny Weatherwax and witches, the UU faculty, OOK! and naturally all the other members of the City Watch. Gods (Blind-Io, the Lady, Offler and so on), I love Discworld and I hope that Sir Terry lives long and well, providing that they find some kind of miracle cure for Alzheimers. Long live Sir Terry Pratchett, a master words and narratives, a lord of comedy!

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Samuel Vimes Has always been my favourite, He's a badass through an through like John McClane but with a sword and a much dirtier fighter. I wonder who could play him in a movie though. A move base on the city watch would be awesome but could so easily be ruined by having the wrong actor in the role.

Freddy Larsson

Oct 27, 2012
One more for Vimesie. He is like a low-budget Sherlock Holmes who makes up for the lack of budged with twice the grit.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't know, 72hour Ahmed? Eric Thursley? The Fool? Ponder Stibbons?...ah screw it...The Librarian.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I'm surprised you didn't include Granny Weatherwax in your list, and she certainly is my favourite, although I love some of the other witches nearly as much - the Tiffany Aching books introduced us to several great characters.

I got very bored with Vimes recently - I feel like Pratchett's explored him quite enough. Death is great, and Vetinari is consistently good too. I also like Ridcully. But Weatherwax wins for me because she's the most insightful. Who couldn't love the scene where she beats a voodoo lady by putting her own hand into a flame and making the wax doll catch fire?

Oh - and my vote for best book to start the series is Wyrd Sisters.

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
Olrod said:
Eric Idle would make the best Rincewind, in my opinion.
Anything to do with him voicing Rincewind in one of the games. Or did you not know about the games and just have good taste?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the games yet? They weren't great but the TV adaptations have got a couple of mentions.

OT: I find that I enjoy the Vimes based stories the most. So I would say he is my fave character. But I can't remember half of the characters tbh. DEATH is always funny and I like the way he pops up when people die.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i voted for ricewind.... which i guess is supposed to be rincewind.

if ever there was an atypical protagonist, he is petty, cowardly and incompetent and yet seems to be bumbeling through dimensions and great destinies without have any position of relevancy to the universe at large or in ankh

he is probably the character that has given me the greatest laughs