Poll: Do games need beefier women?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was about to start playing Skyrim again, and as I was creating my character I noticed that the weight slider barely did anything on females. On male characters sliding it to the max causes the character to go from big to huge, but on females there is barely any change. Not only that but the largest female you can make is still smaller than the smallest male.
Not only that, but all the guys have these big veiny arms, but the girls don't have a single vein. What if I want to play a big girl with some veiny arms? Did you think of that Skyrim, huh?

Anyway this seems to be pretty common in video games and I for one would like to see more female characters look like beefy heroes rather than supermodels.

What do you think? Do you want to play as a buffed up girl or think that there just need to be more beef girl NPCs? Explain yourselves!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Eh? I mean muscles come from, ultimately, testosterone, so to have a woman with more muscles would be to have a more masculine woman. So, why do you hate feminine women?!
On the other hand, having female characters with feminine characteristics. Why do you hate tomboys and athletic women?!

This is one of those no right answer, and no reason to ask because no matter the answer you piss 50% of the fans off.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
but, but, its not realistic!

Not that it would matter if it wasn't because it's not like we don't make exaggeratedly muscular men

In case the answer isn't obvious yes (yes to want, not so much "need")I would but of course anyone who says that is lying because the highest aspiration for a women is to be attractive to as many men as possible and any women who doesn't want to fit that mold or wants to play those who don't is obviously just jealous about the other girls getting all the cocks or only saying so for the sake of being PC.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I'm not sure if we need them, just as I'm not sure we need lizard people or dogs that use modified collars to summon their persona and fight shadows, but it'd be cool to have some. Diversity, ho! And the easiest way to add some would be to give people slides that actually do something.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Silentpony said:
This is one of those no right answer, and no reason to ask because no matter the answer you piss 50% of the fans off.
VARIETY is the correct answer

that's why having one "token female" is a bad thing, you're narrowing the possibilities

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That's why you get mods to make your chick jacked!

In all seriousness though, it's really just about variety.

Metailurus

Roar
Apr 2, 2015
Short answer: while its not a problem to include, its also not really an important option to have, and something that can be cut out if you are developing on a budget.

In any game with character generation people tend to go for the same sorts of characters, very few players go for the outliers. Just take a run around SWTOR and see how few people are running the chunky chip body type for example.

RifkaMarie

Disillusioned Optimist
Jul 22, 2009
My answer is this: Eva Andressa Vieira. Look her up. I'd post a picture for you, but I don't know how. Sorry.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
It's really not worth the time invested IMO. I'd sooner they put that time into creating an actually decent/interesting story, instead of some gimmicks on viens and weight.

Before the 60's you wouldn't have ever seen a woman built like a bodybuilder (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/campaign-for-womens-bodybuilding-interview-kellie-everts.htm) . Movie "muscle" and strength isn't how actual strong, land-weathered people look, and there's no way a medival woman - even a warrior - would bulk up like a bodybuilder. If anything they'd be skinny and super-toned.

This is no cuss on the OP, he's perfectly entitled to his opinion and to start this thread, but I wish that more folk would realize that obsessing over these fairly irrelevant intricacies is what distracts devs from working on actually making better games.

For years now we've had the likes of Bethesda try and appease us with gimmicks. "we want dragons!!" *gets dragons*, "we want to be able to fly dragons!!" you know it's coming, "we want to have flying dragon combat!" etc. etc. It sounds cool, but ultimately it makes very little difference to the end product. A great story back with great gameplay is what I want, how I customize characters is nothing but a bonus, especially in 1stPP games where 90% of the time you don't see them.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fappy said:

I have a thing for women with toned bodies like that. I'm in full support of developers including women like this on games. I'm just not in support of pressuring developers to do it. I'll even confess to finding female orcs in WoW kinda attractive.

Mods for it do exist, and as long as they're free there's no reason to complain. [footnote]Unless you're a console peasent in which case you're out of luck.[/footnote]Hell, there are Elin mods for Skyrim if that's your thing.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I'd like them to display an amount of muscles that correspond to the level of strength they employ. I'm a bit annoyed by inexplicably super strong women that are wispy thin with not a hint of musculature. Of course, same goes for male characters that do the same.

The exception of course is if there's a reason for why they are that strong, aside from just being a fit human being.

Fappy said:

Now that is a woman I can believe capable of kicking my ass. :D

Not that difficult a feat though, to be perfectly honest.

More characters like that please.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Fappy said:

Do you mind if I ask for the name of the mod that does that? I prefer my female warrior characters to actually look strong but didn't realize there was a mod for it. Your barbarian looks awesome :D

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
What do you think? Do you want to play as a buffed up girl or think that there just need to be more beef girl NPCs? Explain yourselves!
For NPCs and pre-written characters, yea I don't see why not. Make a story about a huge body builder woman and people will play it (I probably won't, I prefer games where I make my own character).

In games with character creation, yes there should be an option to make your female character as big as the male characters.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I'm not fond of the phrase 'does X need Y' because frequently that's not what is meant. Like in this case, do you honestly think gaming will suffer and die out for lack of beefy women? In what possible way could gaming NEED beefy women? What is their irreplaceable function?

What you mean is 'do people want X', which is a completely different proposition, it's a subjective want rather than aon objective need for the public good and the good of the thing you're demanding it from.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Dandark said:
Fappy said:

Do you mind if I ask for the name of the mod that does that? I prefer my female warrior characters to actually look strong but didn't realize there was a mod for it. Your barbarian looks awesome :D
Don't know about him, but I use the sports sexy map for cbbe or unp. You might need texblend, (I don't remember, been ages since I installed those mods.) but that is a easy to use tool.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
RifkaMarie said:
My answer is this: Eva Andressa Vieira. Look her up. I'd post a picture for you, but I don't know how. Sorry.
My answer is SNES version of Samus Aran; in particular, the one image from the Player's Guide. I can post a pic of her, and in a spoiler, too. Quote me and see how I use the code to, perhaps, learn how to use it.

Seriously, how this Samus went to the blonde version is beyond me. I prefer this version.

Or, if you wish, shoot me a message and I'll try my best to answer your questions.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I'd go so far as to say they "need" beefier women, and more body types in general.

It is very jarring to play a game like Skyrim with beautiful environments but when every single person has the same body type it kind of kills that vibe.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
The best character slider I ever found in a non-MMO game was Saints Row 2 & 3. 3 had a triangle where the three points were muscular, thin, and fat, and you could slide it around to anywhere you wanted. I really would like to see more of that in games. I think more options are definitely favorable.

My biggest pet peeve is that we end up with games that have 100+ sliders to control your character's face, but like 1 or 2 for the whole rest of the body.