Poll: do graphics matter to you?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
No, not really.
I still play NES, Dreamcast, PS1, and I have no problem at all with the graphics, but that said...

Graphics do play a big roll in making a great game, but having dated graphics doesn't mean the game is bad. I play games depending on how fun the gameplay seems, not on how pretty they look.

Sipo

Jul 25, 2009
id definately rather play a genuinly fun game with shit graphics than play a mediocre game with amazing graphics. graphics are definately important now, but i still play games to have a good time so if i have to sacrifice graphics for that then im cool with it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Graphics are always a bonus feature. Good games dont need them to be fun, but can be made better.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Yes, if only for the need to suspend my disbelief. Gameplay is more important than graphics, but it's hard to have good gameplay when you can count the polygons on everything in the game on one hand.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Duke Nil said:
I feel limited by only 2 options
indeed i do to.

they're important but not a reason to not play the game if it has great storytelling&gameplay.

Tenchan

Sep 11, 2007
Yes, graphics (and I am not sure why people here make a difference between 'graphics' and 'art style', in my understanding, 'art style' is part of 'graphics') absolutely matter... but only in context of their specific times of making. In other word, I fully enjoy an old game even though by modern standards its graphics are 'bad', but making a modern game with graphics below what is reasonable by modern standards doesn't fly with me. As long as the game does the best it can at the time of making and with the developers' means, it's all good. But don't cheap your way out of making the best you can and try to excuse it with "but the story is good!".

Guido656

Feb 20, 2009
robert632 said:
it's like judgeing someone on their colour. there's nothing they can change about,and it's only their surface appearennce, so why bother complaining about it.
Yeah a human can't change their colour, but a game can change it's graphics/style.

Still, I agree. Graphics are minor compared to a great gameplay experience!! :D

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Art Design does matter to me, It needs to feel right; but the actual quality of the graphics do not.

Nicolefranklin

Jul 19, 2009
Nah, good graphics is like an added bonus, most of my favourite games look like shite, but hey, if I do happen to stumble upon a game with great, gorgeous, realistic graphics, then, YAY and all that, but I don't care beyond that.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
I honestly was thrilled when the review said that Dragon Age Origin had slightly lackluster background graphics on the console. I was like "Hot damn, it won't be LOADING every five fucking seconds."

Saint's Row 2 looks great to me. Why some may ask? Because it has COLOR and style. Graphics are important to me as far as I can tell that people did their damn job. However, they stop being important to me when "realism" gets in the way of style or gameplay. IE, I don't give a shit about a world that is brown, more brown, some more brown, I think I see some flesh tone, and muzzle flare. Yahtzee did put it best and I commend him for it.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Not really, but if I had a computer, capable to run Crysis on max everything, then I'd definetly rent it just because.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
Yes, I would prefer to play with better graphics than outdated graphics.

However, it doesn't really constrain my gaming. Right now I'm playing through Blood, a game from 1997 using the Build Engine.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
I think the major point is about graphics being outdated. I think there needs to be a certain acceptable graphics standard for this generation of games, and if you can't meet that standard then it's an indicator that your product is probably cheap in other areas as well.

I won't buy a game for great graphics, but horrible graphics can prevent me from buying one.