Poll: Do I get Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
you should get both! but i'd start with fallout 3 first because it came first, and also because the world is a lot more impressive. fallout new vegas improves on a lot of game mechanics and has a fantastic story, but the world is pretty bland.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I found New Vegas to be the better overall experience. It cleaned up a lot of the mechanics that I thought needed work from Fallout 3, it reintroduced a lot of the elements of Fallout 1 and 2 that were sort of absent in 3 (notably reputations), I thought it had a much better story, and I liked the overall design better. There's also something just fun and really original about being in a post-apocalyptic wasteland but also being in a Rat-pack inspired Las Vegas.

The biggest thing that killed me with FO3 was that it seemed like it'd be really cool to be able to explore a ruined DC, but 95% of the buildings you can't enter and are basically just roadblocks to get in your way, and you spend way too much time running around a subway system getting lost (at least I did).

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I played Fallout 3 for a long while, so long that I was burned out when New Vegas came out and haven't gotten terribly far in NV. I think Fallout 3 has a better overworld, but New Vegas has a lot of better everything else. Customization, skill uses, factions, notoriety vs. karma, story, XP, arsenal, combat, and the main quest. The roleplaying in New Vegas, with having an ambigious past for your character, not forcing you to side with one faction, hardcore mode, as well as other factors, is super better for vanilla. As far as DLCs go, I've only played Fallout 3, and the DLCs in Fallout 3 are plain okay, square in the center of mediocrity, with special mention to Broken Steel making the game playable after the final mission and adding a ton of bullshit bulletsponge enemies.

I don't know, really. Fallout 3, to me, has much better set pieces and environments. Everyone remembers the Super Duper Mart, Liberty Prime, or the GNR battle. You visit Pittsburg in The Pitt DLC, you can go to the Capitol building because the game's set in DC, two important plot areas are the Jefferson Monument and the Pentagon. Fallout New Vegas may have better everything, but does it really matter if a lot of the game doesn't feel that important, or if the overworld is extremely shallow, flat, empty, and brown?

I have probably hundreds of hours in Fallout 3, but in New Vegas I have 31. I am biased toward Fallout 3, but I have to recognize that New Vegas functions a lot better. So I don't know. People aren't going to get stuffy if you buy one over the other because both are still really good games.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
well both... but if you insist only playing one of these game then I say play Fallout: New Vegas.

WARNING: from my experience getting fallout 3 to not crash when attempting to start a new game and on a modern operating system(I have windows 7) is a pain in the ass. New Vegas allowed me to load a new game without any problems. After spent a while try get the Fallout 3 to work and eventually reaching the point were I basically thought "fuck this; I will just go play new Vegas instead". It was many months later when gained motivation to try to and make fallout 3 playable again and that time I eventually succeeded. The thing that made it work me had comments saying the solution did not work for them; so it's not a universal way to fix the problem.

Your results may vary depending on your computer. You might get lucky to fix it very quickly (I was not that lucky). At worst use can use steam refunds. From what I hear the fastest & easiest way get fallout 3 to working on a modern operating system would be to buy both games, then use Tale of Two Wastelands to have fallout 3 run on the game engine new vegas uses.

Yes the GOTY/Ultimate Edition is well worth getting no matter which game you play.

On top of being worth getting in it's own right, if you get into modding then having the dlc is useful since some mods require the use of asset used in the dlc's. I know of a good tutorial to help get into modding. I can recommend some good mods for new vegas; or some fallout 3 mods to a lesser extent of helpfulness.

fallout 3-
I only slightly cared about a single character during the whole time I played fallout 3. mostly everyone else was bland and uninteresting to me. On top that I did not find story interesting at all. I felt apathetic most of the time when playing this game while still feeling compelled to explore. Despite many problems I still think is a good game and I played for a little over 100 hours.

If you only care about having a big world well deigned for exploring with then play fallout 3(although fuck the metro tunnels). Bethesda in general are really good at world design when comes making a games want to explore. This one in particular pulls off bleak post apocalyptic feeling atmosphere well as long as you the civilized places exist.

New Vegas-
It a notable step up writing wise compared to fallout 3. I found the companions in fallout 3 to be quite boring while in new vegas they more personality and each one of them has there own personal quest. Something in the writing of at least 3 of the 4 dlc is worth while even for those who find the last one disappointing. I felt more invested in the main story of new vegas.

My main reason that keeps my interested in replaying new vegas once in while is mainly roleplaying. That was mainly due vegas having story freedom. Fallout 3 linear binary moral choice(mainly sane vs insane stupid evil choices) story was something I disliked entirely. If you want to play for a reasons that is not less about exploring then new vegas is better then fallout 3. The gameplay mechanic are an overall improvement on fallout 3's mechanics in just about every way. Although the world is less interesting to explore.

There is a bit less freedom to explore when you start since certain enemies are too powerful for you at the early levels and poorly equipped. I like it since a open world feels organic when there are part of the world that are too dangerous. some of these enemies are encourage the use of a particular path the main quest suggest using early in the game. If your being a bit creative and clever you can find a quicker path to your destination. There are people proffered being able to walk in any direction no matter what level they are at; like in fallout 3.
Some people dislike new vegas for not having a post apocalyptic and being all desolated like fallout 3. I like the more western feel of New Vegas better.
There even people who think fallout 3 has good story and writing, but I don't understand this perspective what so ever.
The design choices of new vegas overall fit my taste in games far better then the fallout 3's did. Personal taste in games is subjective so you may disagree dislike the stuff I liked.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
h@wke said:
Also I really enjoyed Dead Money DLC, so don't let other people slating it put you off necessarily
Honestly, Dead Money really reminds me of System Shock 2, and that kind of survival horror/RPG. If that's your thing, it is utterly fantastic. If you hate survival horror... and I don't mean the new Resident Evil action/horror mess, then you should probably give it a pass.

rgrekejin said:
Zontar said:
One important thing to remember is that both start with an unskipable, linear opening section which exists before you can go out there into the world and explore, but their length is different. For Fallout 3, it's about half an hour. For New Vegas, it's 9 hours.
...what are you on about? In FO3 you are *literally* trapped inside the Vault for the first hour or so of the game. In New Vegas you get turned out into the wild pretty quickly, and there's nothing that says you *have* to go to Vegas straight away. Sure, you have a quest, but you can ignore it a la Skyrim to your heart's content.
Yes, but the Deathclaws and Cazadors won't ignore you.

Snark aside, New Vegas is more directed. You have a goal, and you're given pointers to getting there. Beyond that, you are free to roam around, but the game isn't laid out like a Bethesda game, where there's no danger of wandering into areas you're not prepaired for. So, keep some saves, and plan ahead.

You are free to split off on your own after the first... five or six minutes. You're strongly encouraged to go do the tutorial, and then follow the main quest, but no one's putting a gun to your head and saying, "but thou must."

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Its totally easy though if you know what you are doing to go straight to New Vegas, all you need is one stealthboy to get through the Deathclaw quarry easy!

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
I would go with Vegas, not that I did not enjoy playing 3, but Vegas (get the unofficial patches and NVAC these will solve about 95% of all crashes) has not only funnier DLC (Old World Blues) and you don't feel like a colossal wanker at the end because none of the ending decisions is the better choice (I say that because I have the worst time playing the evil side of things), it has more ending choices than 3 and honestly better companions. The graphics do have a little bit of an oblivion feel, as in giant wide eyes just staring at you. I don't believe either map is bigger, but 3 does have all of those underground tunnels.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
New Vegas! First time I've ever played a game with so much strong, story DLC and was really satisfied for the majority of it. It didn't feel like it was cut from the main game story, but they were related enough to feel like a true addition to the whole plot.