Poll: Do I have to accept everyone?

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
You don't have to accept anything and anyone if you don't agree with them. What you have to do is not be an idiot about it.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, those who do not accept the rights of everyone within the scope of harmless plurality of course have no claim that anyone accept their rights. To actively discriminate against innocent others by limiting their options and rights is certainly unethical as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't mean one can't have a subjective opinion on them. And voice that opinion, as being polite is not an ethical necessity (if often a social one); Provided of course one is prepared to hear exactly what others think of oneself in return without bitching that they get a say as well.

So tolerance is just fine, so long as one doesn't expect anything else in return from anyone else.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
Lately I been having issues with some people in my local community, mainly minorities (In philosophical/political/gender/religion) - Note: I am myself part of minority groups.

have ran in to issues with a simple question that was enforced on me by some "hippie" student in my school community.

According to them I HAVE TO accept everyone, no matter what my personal opinions or standards are about them. Irony is that they haven't accepted my views, mainly because they have been exactly opposing to their views.

Question is:
Do I really HAVE TO accept everyone, even if I do not want to or I disagree with their views/status.
Have you ran in to issue similar to this; In which you have been mandated to accept someone.

Edit:

To clarify my question a bit.
I tolerate and treat everyone equally (Due to my phisophical view of "You are human, he is human, she is human and I am human, we are all human and we are equal". But people been having issue with my view of just tolerating people. According to the "hippie group" it is not enough, according to them I must accept everyone.
So the question is one of tolerance vs acceptance? Then my answer depends on where (in your opinion) one starts and the other ends. How would you define the difference? What behaviours would a tolerant person have that an accepting person would not, and vice versa?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
If they're making a public display, you have every right to either oppose them directly, or move on.
Don't ever, however, claim that they have no right to their views.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wow.. Im shocked by the responses to this thread. Irony abounds. Especially when topics come up and you see people pushing each other out of the way to show just how "enlightened" they think they are because they think they are exceptionally tolerant.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
loodmoney said:
SinisterGehe said:
gamer_parent said:
SinisterGehe said:
gamer_parent said:
what exactly are they asking you to do?
basically. I am not allowed to have any issues with any type of minority. Not social, political, ethical or philosophical. I must accept them and have no issue with their existence. It sounds rather impossible.
but in what context? Is this some kind of club setting? Does this mean you are obligated to be buddy buddy with say, the "don't ever shower and give lots of hugs naked" club? does this simply mean you are not allowed to object to them being around you?

The reason why I say this is because at the end of the day, how often are you REALLY going to need to stand up and outright ostracize someone? I'm not saying they're right and that you SHOULD. I'm saying, you may very well be getting into a tiff with them over effectively nothing.
It more in a social environment setting. I do not want to be excluded from my school community just and because I do not accept every single variety of people in there. It sounds really primitive seeing that we are (for the most part) adults here. I would understand this kind of behavior from primary schoolers but not from people who are adults. "You either like us or we hate you"
It would be rather helpful if you gave an example of a type of action that would count as "accepting", according to either you or them.

For instance, you say "I must accept them and have no issue with their existence". If you not accepting them is a matter of you saying that you do take issue with their existence (saying 'all X people should all be sterilised', would be one way to take issue with the existence of X people, for example), then I would say yes, they are right and you should accept everyone. If "accepting" someone meant that you had to buy them an ice-cream every time they asked for one, then I would say no, they are wrong and you do not have to accept everyone.

Until you can clear this up, everything posted on this thread is basically pointless.
I can't understand sexuality. So I have hard time understanding how sexuality defines people and I have hard time accepting that some people are different just because they are gay or straight - I see that everyone is same and equal. And this whole mess started after that specific class. People started to look at me differently when I learned that I didn't define them by their sexuality.

I do not accept the fact that you a different or special because you are straight/gay/bi/trans/something. You and everyone else including me and the dude on the street are all the same, and equal.

I do not understand how that is a bad thing. About that. SO I started to think about these things in a broader spectrum and wondered, do I need to accept people, even If I do not want to or it is against my values.

The original question only regarded sexuality as defining feature, but I wanted to study it in a broader spectrum.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
You should generally tolerate and respect others if only for the selfish reason of wanting to be treated in such a way yourself.

Like everything however this isnt a universal rule, there are exceptions to everything but you should probably be ready to justify those exceptions.

Personally I am not willing to tolerate or respect the opinion of people who are actively hateful and abusive to *randomly different type of person* .

Falconsgyre

May 4, 2011
Bon_Clay said:
I guess it can seem like a bit of a weak word, but from the average person I think all you can really ask for is tolerance. You don't have to like or agree with people, but if you are tolerant of them you at least can't be going out of your way to do bad things to them.

As a collective and society, especially in terms of the government, you have to tolerate and protect people from injustice. No matter what people's personal ideas are, everyone should have equal rights and opportunities. If someone supports taking them away it should be a futile position as there should be fundamental laws in place protecting basic human rights that no picket group or popular vote can break.
"Like" and "agree" aren't the same as accept. To accept someone means you understand what's different, and don't care; you don't have to like them on a personal level. If you just tolerate someone, you can still hate them internally, and these irrational aversions are exactly what constitute racism and homophobia. These internal attitudes absolutely will affect how people act, so there's a duty to try to overcome them. And when it comes to laws, we might observe how long it took the civil rights acts to kick in. Banning discrimination legally didn't actually mean people stopped doing it immediately; we had to get rid of the social attitudes surrounding it.

SinisterGehe said:
I can't understand sexuality. So I have hard time understanding how sexuality defines people and I have hard time accepting that some people are different just because they are gay or straight - I see that everyone is same and equal. And this whole mess started after that specific class. People started to look at me differently when I learned that I didn't define them by their sexuality.

I do not accept the fact that you a different or special because you are straight/gay/bi/trans/something. You and everyone else including me and the dude on the street are all the same, and equal.

I do not understand how that is a bad thing. About that. SO I started to think about these things in a broader spectrum and wondered, do I need to accept people, even If I do not want to or it is against my values.

The original question only regarded sexuality as defining feature, but I wanted to study it in a broader spectrum.
The problem might be that some people are defined partly by their sexuality, and not recognizing that may lead you to treat people in ways that hurt them. Accepting a paraplegic doesn't mean you should treat them exactly the same way, and it does change their identity; they still can't walk. This is, on the scale of things, relatively minor, though. Your attitude should be good enough for pretty much everyone.

You also wouldn't have to accept everybody for being who they are because there are lots of viewpoints which are legitimately wrong. You have a good reason to not accept someone from the KKK for their racism. You probably shouldn't accept someone's belief that women who get raped were "asking for it." But there are probably going to be situations where you meet some weird people, and the ethical response might be to get over your gut feeling that there's something wrong with them and ask if you're not the one at fault for judging.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
You don't have to "accept" anyone, but you should tolerate them. For reference watch the South Park episode: "Death Camp of Tolerance"...

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Ask them how come they don't accept your dis-accepting behavior.
This will create an infinite loop and their brains will melt.
Or you could catch them, and store them in your basement. cookie for ref.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
In my opinion you don't have to accept everyone, you don't have to agree with everyone, you don't have to like everyone. Everyone is different, with their own likes and dislikes, their own points of view and you will have different compatibilities with different people. People don't get on with everyone, that's just the way the world works, as long as you are not abusive or derogatory and you give out your arguments in a calm, reasoned manner, then you can contend with people's point of view as much as you like.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
You dont have to accept them, but you do have to respect them. Are you complaining that people won't accept hate speech? Or just the general negativity you're putting out? You didn't really clarify how you have issues with minorities, but it may just be a general social issue.

If you're a dick, you're a dick; I'm a dick, there's nothing wrong with it. However, in the process of growing up and being a dick, you have to learn to hold some of that stuff in, no matter how much it drives you nuts.

You don't have to be sociable, you can be completely aloof, but nobody anywhere wants to hear negative rants based on perceived stereotypes. Well, except maybe skinheads.

Whitewillow

Mar 30, 2010
No, you don't have accept everyone, thought I think tolerance is it's own form of acceptance. You accept the fact that they don't agree with/are different than you, and you shrug and get on with life.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
lior13 said:
look you live in 21's cntrey and every one needs to grow up
Yeah, umm I wish it would be that simple.
My schools 2 worst hippies have almost forced me to Debate with them about Nuclear power on our local news paper (I won since they had no fucking clue what they were talking about. Babling about emotions and preserving nature and how we should lower our consumption instead of developing new technology that uses less energy)and they ruined one of my leather jackets with animal right stickers and refused to pay me for the repair of the jacket (450 euros) because I was a "murderer" - I got them pay after contacting police.

You think these people COULD grow up? I am sure some point later they will release how fucking stupid they were but you think people like these can even realize that world is not flowers, love and guitar songs.

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
lior13 said:
look you live in 21's cntrey and every one needs to grow up
Yeah, umm I wish it would be that simple.
My schools 2 worst hippies have almost forced me to Debate with them about Nuclear power on our local news paper (I won since they had no fucking clue what they were talking about. Babling about emotions and preserving nature and how we should lower our consumption instead of developing new technology that uses less energy)and they ruined one of my leather jackets with animal right stickers and refused to pay me for the repair of the jacket (450 euros) because I was a "murderer" - I got them pay after contacting police.

You think these people COULD grow up? I am sure some point later they will release how fucking stupid they were but you think people like these can even realize that world is not flowers, love and guitar songs.
i agree for the most part
when i wrote that everyone needs to grow up i ment hate grops and im sure that those hippies have some hate in them but that dosnt buter me as much as neo-nazis attacking pepole on trains or in the street
and i am sorry for your jackt but dddaaammmm 450 euros!

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
I disagree with the person telling you this, rather strongly. I don't believe I have to tolerate intolerance, nor do I have to accept that which is directly inimical to me. If someone is out there actively trying to destroy me and my identity/way of life, I'm not going to be all "live and let live" to that. Not happening.

I figure anyone who is fine with that kind of thing either has superhuman patience, or they've never really had to experience systemic oppression. Usually the latter.