Poll: Do Robots Have Souls?

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Alrighty, so we move the question one step further down the line: When does a Robot become self-aware?
Is it when he can say "Eureka! Cogito Ergo Sum!"?
While "Cogito Ergo Sum" I'd say maybe not it takes a self aware enity a while to think that one. However questioning existence on a metaphysical level involving ones self is most cetianly the signs of self-awareness. Asking why one is here or what one's purpose is are the signs of a rational self-aware being. The hard part is finding out where self-awareness starts as I'm sure it starts before one has the time to ask "why one is here".

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Popadoo said:
manythings said:
Your opinion on the concept of soul and its feasability isn't what can be classified as evidence. There are any number of things that could be called "imaginary" that people persist to believe and disbelieve, the myth of dark matter is a very good example of a scientific belief.

Flight was imaginary until it was real. The combustion engine, bacteria, even black swans were considered inventions of chronic liars. Your argument is why I hate both ends of any theological or existential debate, you all think what you choose to believe is proved by your belief.

Common sense is the root of superstition not a means of bypassing it.
The idea of dark matter came about when we realized that what we could see in the universe was not equal to the estimated weight.
And evidently flight was not imaginary, because we can do it now, can we not? You think we're as arrogant as the people who killed others because they said the Earth revolved around the Sun? No, we've changed.
And I finish with something else. Why do we need to prove something, when there is NO EVIDENCE in it's favor anyway? Answer me that.
Are you actually asking that question? Of course you have to prove things, that is how science works. Proof decides what is real and what isn't, when both sides have equal proof or no proof then there is no answer. You can't prove or dispove a soul, god, art, love, life. You can't even prove or disprove the colour Blue.

Flight was regarded as a fever dream until there was a plane. The idea of dark matter is born of arrogance. According to the equations the universe hasn't enough mass to account for the gravity it would take to keep it from firing off into eternity so instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with their hypothesis they invented an unverifiable X-factor to show that they were right all along. It's non-sense, they might aswell have blamed goblins for it. Dark Matter is just a new version of Phlogiston.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Realitycrash said:
Dark Matter is a myth now? Good to know. Now try to convince the world scientific paradigm to change.
But without dark matter, HOW WILL I SUMMON ODIN?!
Better question; Without Dark Matter, does Magus still have the strongest magic in Chrono Trigger?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
If argued from a religious aspect, which is the origin of the idea of soul, then robots would not have souls because they were created rather than born. But in most (if not all) religious ideologies, mankind was also created at some point, so...

Also, I don't get why only humans could have souls (even discounting robots), animals have consciousness, self-awareness, life, why couldn't they have souls?

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
There isn't even any evidence of souls in humans, so i'm going to say no. I think the more realistic debate is how people are going to deal with sentient machines in the first place, we'd have to do the civil rights thing all over again most likely. It would change a lot of things.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
We have no true way to measure if one has a "soul" or what makes up this "soul" or how this "soul" behaves so how could we even possibly begin to question that which we have no way of testing?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
manythings said:
Popadoo said:
manythings said:
Flight was regarded as a fever dream until there was a plan. The idea of dark matter is born of arrogance. According to the equations the universe hasn't enough mass to account for the gravity it would take to keep it from firing off into eternity so instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with their hypothesis they invented an unverifiable X-factor to show that they were right all along. It's non-sense, they might aswell have blamed goblins for it. Dark Matter is just a new version of Phlogiston.
Actually, Einstein conceived Dark Matter in order to fix a problem he had with his Theory of Special Relativity. Then he regretted it and called it the greatest blunder of his career.
Annnnnd around fifty years later, when they pulled the equations and realized that SOMETHING had to fill the damn void, Dark Matter actually made sense.
It isn't proven, but it's a damn better hypothesis than Phlogiston (though Phlogiston is awesome).

MikhailGH

Jun 11, 2010
This completely depends on your definition of a soul (Which, yourself said in the edit nobody knows if it really exists). Now, personally I believe that something like you described can attain/have a soul.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I don't even believe I have a soul. I mean if we truly have souls, the how do you explain serial killers, rapists, and such. If priests truly believed in souls would they rape children in a church? Nope.

If you can't prove that human's have a soul, then the argument over a robot is ignorant at worst and arrogant at best. If something has full independent thought, is self aware, and can take care of itself then it deserves all the rights a human would have, but seeing as we don't even except other humans, I doubt that would happen either.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Dumori said:
Realitycrash said:
Alrighty, so we move the question one step further down the line: When does a Robot become self-aware?
While "Cogito Ergo Sum" I'd say maybe not it takes a self aware enity a while to think that one. However questioning existence on a metaphysical level involving ones self is most cetianly the signs of self-awareness. Asking why one is here or what one's purpose is are the signs of a rational self-aware being. The hard part is finding out where self-awareness starts as I'm sure it starts before one has the time to ask "why one is here".
How about when one has the ability to distinguish one self from the rest of the world? That would mean that most animals are self-aware, but that they lack meta-cognition (the ability to question one-self ability to question, i.e "am I aware?").

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
manythings said:
Popadoo said:
manythings said:
Your opinion on the concept of soul and its feasability isn't what can be classified as evidence. There are any number of things that could be called "imaginary" that people persist to believe and disbelieve, the myth of dark matter is a very good example of a scientific belief.

Flight was imaginary until it was real. The combustion engine, bacteria, even black swans were considered inventions of chronic liars. Your argument is why I hate both ends of any theological or existential debate, you all think what you choose to believe is proved by your belief.

The idea of dark matter came about when we realized that what we could see in the universe was not equal to the estimated weight.
And evidently flight was not imaginary, because we can do it now, can we not? You think we're as arrogant as the people who killed others because they said the Earth revolved around the Sun? No, we've changed.
And I finish with something else. Why do we need to prove something, when there is NO EVIDENCE in it's favor anyway? Answer me that.
Are you actually asking that question? Of course you have to prove things, that is how science works. Proof decides what is real and what isn't, when both sides have equal proof or no proof then there is no answer. You can't prove or dispove a soul, god, art, love, life. You can't even prove or disprove the colour Blue.

Flight was regarded as a fever dream until there was a plane. The idea of dark matter is born of arrogance. According to the equations the universe hasn't enough mass to account for the gravity it would take to keep it from firing off into eternity so instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with their hypothesis they invented an unverifiable X-factor to show that they were right all along. It's non-sense, they might aswell have blamed goblins for it. Dark Matter is just a new version of Phlogiston.
However creating a X-factor and testing it is ages old I'm sure Newton did it many a time. Sure right now we are on the fence about it but the point is its easy to test dark matter that make a totally new paridime then test that as our curent one might be wrong. I'd rather know it was wrong before setting on a years long task deliberately undoing possibly 100s of year worth of wrong data and theory. You might call it arrogant in all honestly is sounds like a good sound idea.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
manythings said:
lol are you implying that scientists aren't trying to either disprove or find a better hypothesis than Dark Matter? Apparently you don't know how the scientific method works.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Realitycrash said:
FalloutJack said:
Realitycrash said:
Dark Matter is a myth now? Good to know. Now try to convince the world scientific paradigm to change.
Better question; Without Dark Matter, does Magus still have the strongest magic in Chrono Trigger?
Define strength... is Flare stronger than Life2?

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
No because there's no such thing as a soul.

Perhaps they are capable of being self-aware, but that's as close to having a "soul" as anything is going to get.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
loc978 said:
Realitycrash said:
FalloutJack said:
Realitycrash said:
Define strength... is Flare stronger than Life2?
Ofc, everyone knows healing-magic is gei compared to Flare.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
manythings said:
Popadoo said:
manythings said:

Flight was regarded as a fever dream until there was a plan. The idea of dark matter is born of arrogance. According to the equations the universe hasn't enough mass to account for the gravity it would take to keep it from firing off into eternity so instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with their hypothesis they invented an unverifiable X-factor to show that they were right all along. It's non-sense, they might aswell have blamed goblins for it. Dark Matter is just a new version of Phlogiston.
You speak of the scientific method, but then you criticize physicists for "inventing" dark matter. The scientific process is all about providing a hypothesis to questions that have no definite answers (and even some that do), and testing those hypothese to see if the evidence supports them.
Dark matter was not "invented" so scientists could save face when there original hypothesis didn't fit the results. The very fact that they provided another variable to the equation is them creating a new hypothesis -which will also be discarded if it doesn't fit the observed results- as it says "ok, we were wrong about the about amount of mass of the universe, what could we have missed? Some new form of matter/energy we aren't aware of?" Surely, there were people who rejected the dark matter theory and did (as you say) check the math, but they likely haven't found the answer either, which is why you don't hear a competing theory.
It isn't born of arrogance, quite the opposite, it is born of the humble acceptance that there are things in the universe whose nature eludes our narrow scope.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Dumori said:
Realitycrash said:
How about when one has the ability to distinguish one self from the rest of the world? That would mean that most animals are self-aware, but that they lack meta-cognition (the ability to question one-self ability to question, i.e "am I aware?").
That exactly what I'm getting at while a being with a "soul" might be born imideately lacking such skills they are learnt (or at least the meant to express the self-awareness). This poses the question of dose the being suddenly gain self-awareness and all that entails or is there something a little deeper that we are missing.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Given the Christian definition of a soul, robots have no souls. A soul is an extraphysical element of being, something that survives death and is unique to each person - and, furthermore, is a distinctly human possession. Animals and manmade objects, no matter how sophisticated, do not have souls.