Poll: Do women find it easier to get into relationships than men?

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
It's actually the opposite, at least where I'm from (especially with 'educated' or 'professional' men). It's not uncommon to hear women complaining about the man shortage. First random google link and link a more different random google link both seem to agree.

I know at times it certainly seems the opposite (a few girls I know are rarely more than a few days without some poor bastard hanging off their every word) but, that said, it's reasonably uncommon for any of the guys I know to actually pursue girls. When they do it seems they have a high strike rate of girls that are interested in staying with them. That's even true with me, which is a bit odd to think about as I've just gone through a massive stint of being single...But within a week of me showing even remote interest, way more of the girls I know were seriously hitting on me than I would have expected.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Not going to make any generalised claims but I will say this to hopefully make some interesting discussion:

Surveys here in the Netherlands suggest that women are more open to one-night-stands than men are.

Granted, these surveys may of course be flawed but I did find their results unexpected. Food for thought at least.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
DoPo said:
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
Except that there are, on average, more women than men,
I would like to know your sources on this, because every figure I can find say, that there are 105-107 boys born, for every 100 girls.
Hmm, good question. Now that I think about it, it is something I've been hearing a lot over the years. I don't have actual reliable sources. I did check and it indeed seem that boys are born more often than girls. However, their death rate is a bit higher than girls'. I don't really know if that is enough to swing the scales the other way. Also, there is the lower life expectancy for males (this one I'm sure of) so it may be a combination of those factors, or alternatively - pure bollocks.
I've always understood that more males are born, or well, registered (because misogynistic cultures), but like you said, they're outlived by women most of the time.

Having said that, I do believe that it's in fact harder for a woman to get in a longer term (+2months) relationship than men. I'm of the opinion that both men and women get in the same amount of casual relationships, but that women tend to stay with one partner for longer, and thus switch less.

But I haven't had any relationship thus far, so what do I know.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
I do think it's easier for women to start a relationship when they want to, though at a given time, considering roughly equal amounts of heterosexuals for each gender, there would be the same number of men and women in couples. I have a theory that relationships/partners for men are had by fewer individuals than women, leaving a larger portion of men without any or with very few relationships. Also, there are sluts in both genders, and they seem to find each other, they were never a good match for the majority anyway.

An example if that wasn't clear enough.

10 men have 4 or more partners each
10 men have had 1-3 partners each
5 men have had 0 partners each
so 20 out of 25 men have had 1 or more partners

10 women have 4 or more partners each
13 women have had 1-3 partners each
2 women have had 0 partners each
and 23 out of 25 women have had 1 or more partners.
Same number of relationships, a bit more guys left out of the race. The blame for that can be many things, it might be the guys who don't make themselves attractive to the ladies.

I'm a man who's just had one partner, as has my girlfriend, but we've been together for over 5 years, if anyone suspected me of being a lonely, bitter man. :)

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Is this regarding social factors only, or are personal factors taken into account? It's probably far easier for an outgoing man than for a shy woman. Maybe she would have better luck than him if she were more social but people's personalities need to be taken into account. You can't just say 'it is like this for all men and like this for all women'.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Loner Jo Jo said:
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
I would like to know your sources on this, because every figure I can find say, that there are 105-107 boys born, for every 100 girls.
True, but boys are more likely to die in infancy than girls and men also don't live as long as women. When it comes to the entire population as a whole, old and young, there are slightly more women than men.
DoPo said:
Hmm, good question. Now that I think about it, it is something I've been hearing a lot over the years. I don't have actual reliable sources. I did check and it indeed seem that boys are born more often than girls. However, their death rate is a bit higher than girls'. I don't really know if that is enough to swing the scales the other way. Also, there is the lower life expectancy for males (this one I'm sure of) so it may be a combination of those factors, or alternatively - pure bollocks.
Well disregarding birthrates and only looking at what there is right "now", then according to "World Almanac" the ratio was 101.3 men to 100 women in 2001.
While that IS some time ago, its the only number I can find :p

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I think yes it is easier, but most people are not looking for some generic relationship. They are looking for a good relationship.

In which case I think they have a harder time. Yes both men and women go for the "hottness" factor, but I think women see passed that faster then men do because of their family instincts. AKA "Do I want this man raising my child?".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DazBurger said:
Loner Jo Jo said:
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
True, but boys are more likely to die in infancy than girls and men also don't live as long as women. When it comes to the entire population as a whole, old and young, there are slightly more women than men.
DoPo said:
Well disregarding birthrates and only looking at what there is right "now", then according to "World Almanac" the ratio was 101.3 men to 100 women in 2001.
Well, there you go - so the "more women in the world" does indeed sound like bollocks.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I suspect if I were a female I'd have had more luck getting relationships than I have as a male.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
DoPo said:
DazBurger said:
Loner Jo Jo said:
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
DoPo said:
Well, there you go - so the "more women in the world" does indeed sound like bollocks.
Well... It would make sense in some way, as many animals have far more females than males.
Its how it supposed to be... We just screwed it up... Somehow.

Personally, in lack of better, I blame China!

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Erana said:
First off, I am very inclined to presume that this "Revelation" came from your own, and inevitably biased, personal experience, yes?
Actually no,another woman,who is married btw,told me that.But I very much understand your point,and that's one of the things that interests me very much right now-different perspectives,logic,way of thinking etc.The human mind of a sensible person is quite interesting to me,it helps me develop my own.I do sound like a mad scientist right now,but think of it in a modern philosophical manner.

Erana said:
And to the second part, no. Just no. For fuck's sake, we're not a "them," we're human beings, just like men. We all think and feel and have individual needs just as unique as men do. We aren't these bizarre, man-like creatures that conspire with each other to function on some kind of moon logic frequencies that only females of the species are able to pick up on.
I didn't mean that in any literal sense,and just because I believe that doesn't mean it's anywhere near the truth,nor does it affect how I treat girls(srsly it doesn't,that doesn't come into my mind while meeting them).I've always treated females as equals,even if I,admittedly tease them more often then I should.