Poll: Do you agree with the criminalisation of drug use?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I definitely think marijuana should be legal. It's so unbelievably hypocritical that weed is illegal yet alcohol isn't. As for harder drugs... hmm, I'm not so sure. I certainly don't think someone should be given a prison sentence just for possessing them, or keeping them for personal use (if they're selling/distributing it, then perhaps), but at the same time, they seem far too dangerous to really allow legal.

Of course by legalising these drugs you take the power away from the pushers and smugglers, which would perhaps be a more wise method in dealing with this so-called "war of drugs", since what's been tried up til now has failed miserably.

When it comes to hard drugs, I don't think there's an easy answer. It's a very difficult question.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I remember one of my old teachers telling me that if I wanted to experiment with drugs when I was an adult, he couldn't stop me, and just to be careful. That always stuck with me, for some reason. I've forgotten where I put my keys, money, and peoples' birthdays, but never that tiny little sentence from when I was, like, 14.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would really consider drug use a valid lifestyle, but I'm for the legalisation of marijuana just because there are many, many other things worse than marijuana, yet it's treated like it's the worst, and the hypocrisy in that is infuriating.

I think that the grey area here comes from addiction: some drugs aren't addictive at all, some are only addictive after long term use, and some get you addicted within days of their use, so naturally, it's hard to really define when their purchase is going "too far".

But aside from marijuana, I support the crimilisation of drug use, aside from medical reasons. I think that our blind stigmas against them do prohibit their use as medicine to an extent, but those stigmas are there for a reason.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I voted:

All drug possession should be a criminal offence

I live in The Netherlands, a country that's jokingly stereotyped as a druggie paradise by other countries, and if you ask me the country's attempt to ''manage'' drugs has been an outright disaster. Less than a month ago several people died at one of those ''dance parties'' or ''raves'' or whatever people called them, I wonder how many more ''accidents'' need to happen before the government wakes up an goes back to outright forbidding that garbage like most other countries.

And for going ''But what about cigs and liquor?!'', I hate those too. Alcohol in particular. Prohibition may have done more harm than good in the long run, but when I read news stories about 13 year-old who are hospitalized because they were holding a drinking contest I can understand what the people who advocated Prohibition were fighting against, as for smoking: I gotta give smokers credit for never defending their habit with excuses like ''medicinal use'' or ''mind expansion''.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I prefer the Dutch model. Posession is illegal, but not a criminal offense. There's no reason to put potheads in prison, if only for the cost.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Being incredibly dutch and handsome I can not get why some folks criminalize drugs the way they do. Even as a non-user myself it is pretty easy to see the benefits of legalization or at least legal tolerance for drugs. Admittedly, hard-drugs are still an issue but what is it with the outright demonization of marihuana?

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
legalize it, tax it, and if someone who is high does something illegal, then prosecute them, just don't make the actual use itself illegal. Alcohol, and Tobacco are extremely addictive, and alcohol in particular can lead to some pretty stupid actions, but that is legal, why cant everything else be legal. Also several laws relating to the consumption of alcohol can be really stupid, those need to go as well (I live in PA, where there are quite a few stupid ass laws relating to the purchase and consumption of alcohol).

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
People will take drugs if they are legal or not so there not really a point making it illegal

Ive used drugs and its not really that big of a deal. A lot of people can hold good jobs and use recreational drugs on a weekend and not let it ruin their life. Criminalising these people is pretty pointless. They take drugs and dont harm anyone and dont act anymore irrational than someone who is drunk. Im not saying doing drugs is on par with drinking but if used properly (i.e taking a small amount, seeing how you react then taking more if needed) then its actually not too bad. Just like alcohol people need to be careful but there are those who are irresponsible

Criminalising addicts is probably even worse. They should be receiving help rather than being punished

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Death_Cometh said:
In a perfect world I would legalize all drugs and let people make their decisions with regard to their use and let them deal with the consequences. This would save money on law enforcement and the drugs could be taxed to improve the economy and regulated to protect the user.

The problem is that we don't live in a perfect world and people are dumb as a sack of bricks. You may be able to take drugs like a champ and lead a normal, happy, healthy life but other dumb people are going to get addicted, commit crime and generally ruin it for everyone.

The current approach to dealing with drugs is not working though since the more the government tries to clamp down on it the more problems they seem to create. That is why I think that non-lethal and non-physically addictive drugs should be legalized while the more dangerous and addictive drugs should be decriminalized so that the stigma of being an addict can be dealt with because that is what stops addicts from seeking help, the fact that they thing they are too far down the rabbit hole to get help.
Marijuana has an addiction rate of 15-30% with a severe addiction rate of 9% [http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive]. While this is much lower than most other drugs, it's still not zero. Which is kind of the requirement for something to be called 'non-addictive'.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
I definitely think marijuana should be legal. It's so unbelievably hypocritical that weed is illegal yet alcohol isn't. As for harder drugs... hmm, I'm not so sure. I certainly don't think someone should be given a prison sentence just for possessing them, or keeping them for personal use (if they're selling/distributing it, then perhaps), but at the same time, they seem far too dangerous to really allow legal.

Of course by legalising these drugs you take the power away from the pushers and smugglers, which would perhaps be a more wise method in dealing with this so-called "war of drugs", since what's been tried up til now has failed miserably.

When it comes to hard drugs, I don't think there's an easy answer. It's a very difficult question.
Pointed this out earlier, but they tried making alcohol illegal and people started murdering each other in the streets. If anything, prohibition proved that people cannot be trusted to be responsible about addictive substances. Also, lowering the age to get an open carry permit to 12 would probably kill less people than alcohol too. Still doesn't make it a good idea.

Funfact: The more states that legalize marijuana, the less profitable it becomes for drug cartels. So they move to producing heroin instead, because that's the next big cash crop. Heroin use in the US has increased by over 50% in the last few years because more of it is being shipped in now to replace weed. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26672422

If anyone remembers, widespread heroin abuse is the reason that the War on Drugs started in the first place.

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
Antigonius said:
Legalize everything, that's not addictive and tax it. Everything that's addictive but need for medical purposes - use with massive restrictions
I'm pretty sure the only Recreational Drugs that have little to no addiction potential are certain psychedelics, like LSD, Mescaline and Magic Mushrooms, due to their massive tolerance building effects.

Not many drugs out there don't have some kind of physical dependence and/or psychological addictive potential. That includes Cannabis, Alcohol, Caffeine and Tobacco.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There should be some restrictions, and it really should come down to harm. I'm okay with legalisation to some extent, though, based on that premise of personal responsibility and harm.

I don't have a super complicated view, though.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Kopikatsu said:
Marijuana has an addiction rate of 15-30% with a severe addiction rate of 9% [http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive]. While this is much lower than most other drugs, it's still not zero. Which is kind of the requirement for something to be called 'non-addictive'.
I actually read the original publication, not the non peer reviewed book or opinion piece in a popular magazine, and it claimed that 9% of users meet the criteria for dependence, not severe addiction. This "severe addiction" was attributed later, not by the author of the paper.

But that's a moot point anyway. It misses the point that a) prohibition doesn't work and b) criminalisation of drug use does more harm than the use of the drugs themselves.

Kopikatsu said:
Pointed this out earlier, but they tried making alcohol illegal and people started murdering each other in the streets. If anything, prohibition proved that people cannot be trusted to be responsible about addictive substances.
So by your logic, prohibition causes people to kill themselves and each other, which shows that we can't be trusted, so we should continue with prohibition? In what kind of world does that make any kind of sense?

Kopikatsu said:
Funfact: The more states that legalize marijuana, the less profitable it becomes for drug cartels. So they move to producing heroin instead, because that's the next big cash crop. Heroin use in the US has increased by over 50% in the last few years because more of it is being shipped in now to replace weed. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26672422
Except that if you read the article you just posted you would find that there's not a single mention of any link between cannabis decriminalisation and the increase in heroin use. You extrapolated that one yourself and tried to sell it off as a fact. You would also find that the article is based on heroin use in Chicago where non-medical use of marijuana is still a criminal offence.

But let's pretend for a second that your "fun fact" is actually a fact: that cartels move away from the distribution of a drug following its legal instatement would actually be an argument in favour of decriminalisation. Unless I'm missing the point of your argument and you actually want people to take more heroin and overdose.

Kopikatsu said:
If anyone remembers, widespread heroin abuse is the reason that the War on Drugs started in the first place.
Actually, the US had been attacking drug use since the late 1900s due to the number of women who were frequenting opium dens, supporting Chinese immigrants, and engaging in "physical and moral degeneracy". The War on Drugs was a way to vilify a common enemy post Vietnam. This was convenient considering the counter-culture association of anti war Americans who were regularly using drugs and the fact that such a high number of Vietnam veterans suffering from PTSD became addicted to heroin. I won't even bother explaining the anti cannabis crusade and its direct relation to the tension with Mexico since we're all very much aware of that.

Throughout all your posts all you've managed to do is dehumanise drug users as degenerates who can't be trusted to look after themselves but you're yet to make a single argument as to why criminalisation is a good idea. We get it: you think drug users are profligate. Great. Now tell us why you think prohibition is a good idea.

Ravinoff said:
I'm firmly against any legalization, for the simple reason that the last thing the world needs right now is more stoned idiots. Society is dumb enough as-is, no reason to make things even stupider.
Stoned idiots like Carl Sagan, Albert Hofmann, Bill Gates, Francis Crick, Oliver Stone, Maya Angelou, Barrack Obama...?

Fieldy409 said:
If you legalised everything there would be more people doing the drugs as they figure its okay its legal now and thus some of those people become the types who are dangerous addicts, More people that become homeless because all their money goes into getting yet another fix, more people who are so desperate for a fix that they will hold up a person with a knife, then due to their fucked up mental processes just kill the guy for the $20 in their pocket, and instead of spending that twenty dollars on food after having not eaten for days they run to the nearest 24 hour chemist to buy a fix, then go to sleep in an alleyway.
Decriminalisation in Portugal has not led to an increase in usage despite increases occurring in most other countries. Heroin prescription programmes in Switzerland have been associated with a massive decrease in property crime among those enrolled.

lacktheknack said:
I say to leave all recreational drugs as illegal, but instead of tossing addicts in prison for decades, how about a few months of enforced rehab/detox?
So then educated people like who contribute to society should be sent for rehabilitation and indoctrination against an addiction we don't have for a few months, costing taxpayers money and missing out on the tax, good work, and voluntary contribution we regularly afford to the community? I know all people aren't like me but my point is that you can't fit every drug user into the "needs help" box. Drug user is not the same as drug abuser.

lacktheknack said:
No, I don't trust people to choose responsibly and act responsibly. No one should trust people to do that.
So... fascism?

Zannah said:
The damage that drugs (illegal and legal like what goes over pharmacy tables in the us, or smoking or alcohol) do to our society is tremendous. "but it's just so relaxing man" is not an argument to not ban the shit, all of it.
So please offer me a compelling argument for banning "the shit".

Someone Depressing said:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would really consider drug use a valid lifestyle
I consider it a valid lifestyle and I'm in my right mind. Besides, if you use alcohol or caffeine then I guess you also consider it a valid lifestyle to some extent.

Someone Depressing said:
But aside from marijuana, I support the crimilisation of drug use, aside from medical reasons. I think that our blind stigmas against them do prohibit their use as medicine to an extent, but those stigmas are there for a reason.
"There for a reason" is not an argument in favour of prohibition. It means as much as "it has always been that way". What good is criminalising hard drug use? It doesn't discourage use, it puts addicts in a vulnerable position, and it offers the power of distribution to the cartels.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Prohibition may have done more harm than good in the long run, but when I read news stories about 13 year-old who are hospitalized because they were holding a drinking contest I can understand what the people who advocated Prohibition were fighting against, as for smoking: I gotta give smokers credit for never defending their habit with excuses like ''medicinal use'' or ''mind expansion''.
So if prohibition has done more harm than good, why support it? That doesn't make any sense.

jab136 said:
if someone who is high does something illegal, then prosecute them, just don't make the actual use itself illegal.
Exactly!

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Leon Declis said:
Ecstasy: The British Journal of Pharmacology published research claiming that unadulterated MDMA is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. MDMA-related deaths are usually due to cut products and people not knowing the dosage.

LSD: No. That's a myth. As is the thing about people thinking they can fly, as is the guy thinking he's an orange, as are all the others stories about some guy taking acid and thinking he was an X, Y or Z.

Tobacco: Yep but at least we can seek treatment for tobacco addiction without fear of stigmatisation or legal repercussions.

Sorry for the weird double-post. I'm way too tired now to edit the formatting mistakes now! :p

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
I wont be using your poll, as my answer is a little more complicated. If I was ruler of the world/Prime Minister (whoever was head of government wherever and set policy) I would allow the partial legalisation of cannabis, so it can be taxed and regulated by the Government, but only cannabis purchased from Government run suppliers would be legal so street dealing would still be illegal. But for other drugs, especially stuff like cocaine, heroin and pretty much everything else that is illegal now would remain illegal. Possession, supply and use would be illegal.

However, I'd offer a one-time amnesty (as in each person gets one chance, not this is the date everyone comes forward) on those who use drugs to turn in their stash and admit they use drugs, regardless of which drug it is. Then we set about getting these people off their addictions to substances and shepherding them towards a life without drugs without fear of jail time or a criminal record for admitting they use illegal drugs.

I would have to place my trust in the people that they would not abuse this chance at getting clean without the threat of jail hanging over their heads. I do wonder how many people would own up to drug use and try to stop if they knew prison and a criminal record wouldn't be thrown at them.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Ok here goes. First and foremost I think people need to step back and think when it comes to the term drugs, every time someone takes a tablet for a headache, drinks coffee or alcohol, or smokes they are partaking of a drug. As such any blanket stance such as "All drugs are bad" just strikes me as absurd.

More than anything else I'm about personal freedom, and as long as people accept the consiquences of their actions and don't harm others in the process then within reason I think they should be free to do as they please. To that end I am pretty much in favour of legalisation for most drugs. People need to remember there is a difference between a drug user and a drug addict, just as there is a difference between someone who drinks alcohol and an alcoholic.

It is also the case that a growing body of evidence is pointing to the conclusion that criminalisation doesn't in fact lower useage rates, and as such if it isn't even detering people, what the hell is the point of locking people up?

Now that said I do struggle to say I am in favour of fully lagalising all drugs, there are a few drugs, such a heroin where dependancy can occur with relativley infrequent use and the effects of dependancy and withdrawal are so debilitating that I can't say I'm in favour of letting people use it as a recreational substance.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I believe most drugs and absolutely marijuana should be fully decriminalized and legalized. The war on drugs has been a stunning failure by every single measure. Legalize it...

Marijuana legalization is coming to the US without a doubt, that one is guaranteed. All the ridiculous disagree'ing folks are just going to have to suck it up and accept it, sorry to tell you this. Your propaganda and lies are collapsing on all fronts.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Quite a few libertarian idealists here I see.

There are some illegal drugs that, perhaps with strict regulation, could probably be made legal without causing general harm. I'd like to see someone try justifying legalizing meth, heroin, ketamine, or bath salts though.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I'd really like if humanity went the road of Crowford (or whatever it's name is) from Road 60 movie.

For those who didn't watch this movie: The town of Crowford had a serious drug use problem. Authorities tried everything to stop people from using drugs: from social messages and fines to imprisonment and public humiliation. Then they decided to do something completely new and radical. They invented a drug so strong and addictive, that it suppressed even sexual desires and withdrawal was so strong that it could kill a person.

The whole town and all roads leading to it are filled with social adds that say that this drug is lethal and will kill you. Every cop will warn you that it is highly addictive and it is not recommended to consume it. Heck, even radio stations constantly broadcast the same message.

Yet many just want to get high. They take the drug and from this moment they live in bliss during it's effect, but are moved to the lowest lows of social ladder. They clean streets, toilets and homes. They pick up dog excrements. Their form of reward for this work? Food, a place to sleep, parties and this drug. They are slaves.

Oh, but what of free will, the right to choose? Well, those people made a choice to give up their free will for a simple, "happy" life. They would have gotten high anyway, but they are now at the very least useful.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I think we should decriminalize all drug use, and treat addiction as a mental issue rather than a crime, but that anything harder than alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, or maybe LSD (don't know enough about it to judge) should be illegal to produce outside of a scientific/medical setting. Things like meth or heroin are too dangerous to be allowed for general consumption.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I feel i have much to discuss in this topic, but it is a tired moment and i must do that whole sleep malarky.
CrystalViolet said:
Shared opinion
Have you ever read High society by Ben Elton? It goes very into depth with this subject matter from about four viewpoints, on how much damage the war on drugs can do. One of them is a girl who is homeless at around the age of eleven, when she gets taken in by a pimp and for the most of her life fed on smack whilst trapped as a sex worker/slave. She and the other girls cant go to the police for fear of being treated like criminals and of course the comedown and homelessness. There are very emotional moments in that book and it has many hard hitting points to drive home. Well, thats enough advertisement from me. Time to sleeps!!