Poll: Do you believe in aliens?

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
EDIT: This ^^

My original post: Put me down as 'Other: agnostic'. If you mean 'inteligent life forms' as opposed to just single cell bacteria then i honestly don't know. I would imagine that the shear size of "everything" would make it mathematically possible but I can't come close to comprehending the equation that would illustrate the point.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
It's a huge place. I don't see any reason as to why we should be the only living beings.

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
I belive they exist. Somewhere out there in the vast distences of space. Its just too big for us to be alone. I don't think we made contact with them, and who knows if we ever will. I hope so.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
If one planet can evolve life in a universe with trillions of other planets, then I'm pretty sure the odds of life evolving somewhere else is pretty much as close to one as you can get.

Do I think they visited Earth? I think it's possible, but not probable. There's a lot of things we don't know about our past. Our knowledge of human history is a small sliver of the full picture. What we know happened before we built cities is pretty much squat. We have some chipped stones, some cave paintings, some refuse pits, and some bones which we can piece together bits and pieces, but nothing specific.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
The universe would be pretty pitiful if we were the only thing on offer. That said, i doubt the life would necessarily come under the standard biological definition. So life, maybe not, but intelligence, certainly.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
shadowsoul222 said:
Personally...I'm not really sure. I never used to but recently after playing through Mass Effect I want to believe in them haha.
No shadowsoul222 YOU ARE THE ALIENS!
*then shadowsoul222 was the aliens*

I do, even if theyre just like cosmic slugs.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
Considering the fact that we exist, I'd be hard pressed to believe that there aren't any other life forms out there in this vast universe.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I have no doubt that there is alien life amongst the stars. I doubt that intelligent life is very common, and I'm extremely doubtful that aliens have visited our planet.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
I believe that there are other life forms/species that are as smart if not more intelligent than humans in the universe. I guess my answer is yes.

FlikViktor

Jun 15, 2009
Of course, and I'm not going to speculate on contact though. There are billions of stars viewable in our galaxy alone. It's like closing your eyes and trying to hit an exact spot on a dart board, the odds are near impossible. However with the planet being as old as it is I'm not going to deny that maybe we have been visited, or surveyed. Human history alone shows we are violent things, especially to things we don't understand. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we're being observed from afar. I mean seriously if we found another species don't you think we'd want to watch it and learn about it before we decided to make actual contact?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I stand corrected. It looks like most of the posters believe in aliens almost exclusively because of the size of the universe and the number of stars. I do want to point out a few things, though.

We don't know that every star has X amount of planets, so science will not make that assumption unless we're talking probability. Some of the posters used the size of the universe and estimates of known stars, coupled with the assumption, to declare alien life a certainty. This is not scientific. And it is very very unscientific to claim that we absolutely are not alone, but that we have no means of proving or disproving this thesis. Probability and certainty should never ever be confused, as throughout history humankind has looked in the mirror to find copious amounts of egg on our collective face whenever making assumptions, particularly astronomical ones.

As much as I hate to be an "I'm just sayin'" guy, I'm just saying that unless/until we prove alien life we probably shouldn't go around telling everyone that there is alien life like we've achieved epistemological nirvana.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Whilst the cosmological principle states that the likelihood of us being the only intelligent life in the universe being slim, in the absence of other evidence Im gonna say no.

Isgandar

Jun 5, 2011
ColeusRattus said:
Mathematically, it's quite unlikely that we are the only intelligent life - let alone the only life - in this universe. So I can say that yes, I am convinced that "we are not alone".
Our galaxy, the milky way, alone has up to 300 billion stars. That's 300,000,000,000. Now if only every tenth star has planets, that's still 30,000,000,000 (30 billion). Now if one in every thousand solar systems would have life, that would still be 30,000,000 (30 million) systems. Now if one of every thousand systems with a planet with life sports intelligent life, that would still be 30,000 (30 thousand) systems and thus civilizations.

And that's in our galaxy alone. At the moment 50 billion (50,000,000,000) galaxies are observable from earth, each with several billions of stars in them...
Heck, even if only every millionth galaxy had one single planet bearing intelligent life, it would still amount to 50 thousand civilizations.

On the other hand, I don't believe in the "grays" visiting us and cover up conspirations. As any life form would have to adhere to the same physics as we do, it's just not feasable that they would travel here, or even have remote contact.
I second the motion.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Depends on whether black holes contain universes of their own. Further depends on whether mankind can create artificial black holes. If we're living in a universe created by another mankind it could be conceivable that there are no aliens in our universe since we engineered it.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Yes i think they exist..
Yes i think we have been visited..

And yes, i find the Ancient Astronaut Theory highly likely...
I might even go as far as saying that the human race is the product of an unearthly civilization..

But i digress..
The truth is stranger than fiction..

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I think if you don't you're rather small minded.

There was a good chance there was alien life on Mars, and that is right next to us. No doubt there is something out there.

Something as smart/smarter than us? Maybe. But it would be so interesting to see how they went about developing technology.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I do believe there is extraterrestrial life. I don't believe there has been a first contact yet, though.