Poll: Do you believe in fate?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I believe in it to a certain degrees but by all means I will not submit to it like e.g. if I was destine to become evil.

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
I'm in the "Everything is random" mindset, so I dont believe in it. Some folks might, and that might motivate them to do great things, but that's merely delusion from my perspective.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
I don't believe in fate but I also don't think we have free will.

We're just floating along, nothing matters, everything is pointless but that's okay. That kind of stuff, I guess.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
fate as a magical concept no.

but there's a theory that if we could calculate the possition and velocity of every atom in the universe then technically we could predict every future event from now until the end of time. but that is impossible. (and the theory may be wrong. we'll probably never know)

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
I remember once hearing a story that sums up my feeling on fate. in a rush so forgive the poor formatting.

A wealthy man is walking through the market one day when he spots the grim reaper across from him, the grim reaper motions for him to come over and the man knowing that only those close to death should see the reaper panics!

he runs through the market and out of town and pays a man to buy his camel. he rides the camel as fast as he can to the next town and pays a man every cent he has to sail his ship as far as the winds can take him.

he lands the ship on a remote island and runs far into the jungle.

he burns all his clothes and shaves his head and thinks to himself "HA. Surely now there is no way the reaper can find me"
just then the reaper appears behind him and says "I seen you before and wanted to ask you why you were dressed as a wealthy man in the market when so soon i was due to meet you as a pauper in the jungle"

fate to me is pretty basic. whatever is destined to happen will happen, if something else happens then that is fate. Even if you could go back in time and change something all you are really doing is ensuring that fate takes it's course.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I believe in Fate, as opposed to fate.

The Fate that Pratchett writes about, that Gaiman hints at. But less so his Destiny.

There isn't such a thing, but it's nice to have something beyond my control to blame.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
lechat said:
fate to me is pretty basic. whatever is destined to happen will happen, if something else happens then that is fate. Even if you could go back in time and change something all you are really doing is ensuring that fate takes it's course.
And who, might I ask, decides what should and should not happen?
Was it destiny that gave the poor, homeless child pneumonia?
Was it fate that the son of the rich banker got away with murder because daddy could pay a better lawyer?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Ranorak said:
lechat said:
Was it fate that the son of the rich banker got away with murder because daddy could pay a better lawyer?
irrelevant.
whether it was god or quantum mechanics or random shit it happened and it was fated to happen. you can try changing your fate but whatever you change it to that is what it was destined to be.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
lechat said:
Ranorak said:
lechat said:
irrelevant.
whether it was god or quantum mechanics or random shit it happened and it was fated to happen. you can try changing your fate but whatever you change it to that is what it was destined to be.
And this is based on what information?
Do animals have a fate?

There is no reason to assume any of this is remotely the case.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
No, a man recently punched me in the face. I pressed charges, he apologized, I dropped said charges. Fate is either bending to my whim or not real as far as I can see.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Now is determined by the Past. The younger the Now, the more Past there is to determine it. Future has no Past, it only has Now which is constantly pushing Future farther in time. ... Yeah, fate makes sense in hindsight. There is no predetermined future, but the present moment is determined.

So you could say fate is hindsight. But I still answered no because the sort of fate described in the OP is fictitious as far as I can tell.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No, because it is unethical and problematic.

Implying that something will always happen no matter what undermines the concept of free will, and I strongly subscribe to the idea of constant and total self-control too much to think that other factors govern my life(at a base fundamental level).

Fate, to me(and a little because of Psychology, see: Locus of Control) is an excuse. It's a comforting to thought to believe that the entirety of your life, or major sections of it are pre-determined by external forces; it removes responsibility and autonomy, and it gives the person a false sense of security. I understand that there are people who can do nothing about their lives, as they are governed by others(war, poverty, etc.), so take this as an example in a stable, developed nation.

In that instance, believing in faith makes the person deny responsibility and depend on chance rather than on themselves. Say that they were involved in a catastrophic car crash that they survived from intact, but it resulted in many other events that eventually ruined that person's life. Choosing to believe in fate denies dealing with your problems as being completely random; that you should repair the damage instead of thinking that "it will all come together, X has a plan for me/it's fate/it will somehow resolve everything".

That is where I see it as unethical and problematic; it encourages complacency and discourages autonomy. I guess that don't just not-believe in fate, I outright oppose it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't believe in fate, the same reason I don't believe in God, Tony the Tiger's repeated claims of his cross tasting orange stuff being great, and that colourblind people aren't really able to see colours, and they're just assimilating, planning and plotting to destroy us.

Because I see no evidence of it.

It someone could give me examples of fate, and back them up, I suppose I would switch sides. Except I wouldn't, because fate is just something you believe in, not something that can be proved.

I'd much rather take responsibility for my own mistakes, instead of blaming some sort of metaphysical cosmic force that seems to have it in for me, because then I'd get thrown in the loony bin.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I don't believe that all our actions, and to a certain extend our lives, are predetermined by fate. Seriously, who looks at the unfortunate death of a child and think, "Well, it was just fate, I guess. No reason to feel sad or get angry about it."

However, I do believe that everything happens for a reason; nothing in this universe happens at random. Whether that reason makes plausible sense or not is another story.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Reading through this thread, I feel like I somehow got a completely different definition of fate than everyone else. I've always understood it to mean a deterministic universe (not necessarily strictly deterministic though a la stoicism).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I believe in fate. The fate that we make. Fate is a construct made up of circumstances and decisions.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I think some things are but not everything.There have just been a few odd tings I've witnessed that have been too perfect or coincidental to just be by chance. By no means do I think that you shouldn't try though. Sorta like fate gives you two outcomes but you make the choice of which one happens without knowing those outcomes. Then of course I think there's a whole heap of little stuff that fate just doesn't care about so you do have a large control over your life.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I believe in fate in the sense that if you knew everything there is to know about the current state of the universe, you could accurately predict what that state would lead to. But superstitions, karma, etc. is all nonsense.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Vault101 said:
no...its all random, there is no "karma" or system or logic to it really...its just chance...
The karma thing is another view on the foundation of society, the law

Fate would be a shortsighted view on action and reaction

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I think the idea is meaningless.

There's no way of predicting the future on any kind of personal grand scale, and you can't exactly go back and change things, so yeah. Things are going to happen a certain way. Big whoop.