Poll: Do you believe in ghosts?

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Sean Hollyman said:
Ariyura said:
I believe in them. I work in the old part of a hospital by myself for almost twelve hour shifts. Sitting in a place that is rarely accessed by anyone but myself at that time of night there have been times where I find myself talking to thin air because something else is there and it's not the doctors or the nurses or even security.
What the hell do you do alone in an old hopsital?
I work in patient supply, basically they call for something and I bring it. From beds, to linens, to oxygen tanks. I do my scheduled deliveries when I get there then I'm on call for the last half of my shift. There is a new part of the hospital built on to the front of it but they haven't moved any of the department to it. Just patients and the information center.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Ariyura said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Ariyura said:
I believe in them. I work in the old part of a hospital by myself for almost twelve hour shifts. Sitting in a place that is rarely accessed by anyone but myself at that time of night there have been times where I find myself talking to thin air because something else is there and it's not the doctors or the nurses or even security.
I work in patient supply, basically they call for something and I bring it. From beds, to linens, to oxygen tanks. I do my scheduled deliveries when I get there then I'm on call for the last half of my shift. There is a new part of the hospital built on to the front of it but they haven't moved any of the department to it. Just patients and the information center.
Oh right, so it's not some kind of old rarely used ward where hardly ever goes...

I've heard weird stories man.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hazy992 said:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.
I've always found that the absense of proof is not proof of anything. Something doesn't exist that because you haven't recorded it? Nonsense. It exists in a state of not knowing. The best answer, the TRUE answer, is that you don't know. Even if you say you do, you don't. The world has a positive and a negative, and both are provable. Somewhere out there is an answer to whether ghosts can or can't exist, do or don't. It has an answer, but it hasn't been found. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Belief was never about evidence in the first place. If it WERE, there wouldn't be all this god business.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Sean Hollyman said:
Ariyura said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Ariyura said:
Oh right, so it's not some kind of old rarely used ward where hardly ever goes...

I've heard weird stories man.
It usually bustles during the day, it just Im the night person and no one comes in there after 3:00 pm when I lock the doors. It's been there for more than forty years or so. The housekeeper told me one day that he had been there for almost thirty five years and that it used to be a little sewing room, and a nurses station when he started.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.
I've always found that the absense of proof is not proof of anything. Something doesn't exist that because you haven't recorded it? Nonsense. It exists in a state of not knowing. The best answer, the TRUE answer, is that you don't know. Even if you say you do, you don't. The world has a positive and a negative, and both are provable. Somewhere out there is an answer to whether ghosts can or can't exist, do or don't. It has an answer, but it hasn't been found. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Belief was never about evidence in the first place. If it WERE, there wouldn't be all this god business.
That still doesn't make it logical to believe in them. If there's no evidence then logically you don't assume anything until evidence presents itself.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
That still doesn't make it logical to believe in them. If there's no evidence then logically you don't assume anything until evidence presents itself.
When you have no proof, then logically the only recourse IS to wonder. It is on this basis that theories are born.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
When you have no proof, then logically the only recourse IS to wonder. It is on this basis that theories are born.
That doesn't mean you should make assumptions. If there's no proof then don't assume anything

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
That doesn't mean you should make assumptions. If there's no proof then don't assume anything
Look, I understand the fence-sitter line of reasoning. Assumptions, theories, hypotheses...these have led to both good and bad, and so there is a select group of people who prefer to avoid that by sitting tight and waiting for answers. Suppose the answer will never come. Like, never EVER...unless you do something. Then what? This is a mere case of curiosity. What happens when it's something important? Assume nothing? Wait for it? And if there's no answer there that can be waited out until it's possibly too late? I can see the reasoning for objectively hanging back until you're sure, but don't wait for TOO long. There's always consequences.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
Look, I understand the fence-sitter line of reasoning. Assumptions, theories, hypotheses...these have led to both good and bad, and so there is a select group of people who prefer to avoid that by sitting tight and waiting for answers. Suppose the answer will never come. Like, never EVER...unless you do something. Then what? This is a mere case of curiosity. What happens when it's something important? Assume nothing? Wait for it? And if there's no answer there that can be waited out until it's possibly too late? I can see the reasoning for objectively hanging back until you're sure, but don't wait for TOO long. There's always consequences.
What do you mean by waiting and hanging back? I mean it's not as like there have been countless studies on the existence of ghosts that have found no evidence for them or anything ¬_¬ When nothing has been proven time after time am I supposed to just believe in them anyway just in case something comes up? Well I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Until they are proved to exist I will not assume they do. Assuming something without evidence makes no sense.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Sure some of his points would be lost due to the translation of the subject at hand, but Neil deGrasse Tyson has something to say:

My opinion? Little embarrassed that 14% of escapists believe in ghosts. I'm all for keeping an open mind but come on.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
FalloutJack said:
Hazy992 said:
What do you mean by waiting and hanging back? I mean it's not as like there have been countless studies on the existence of ghosts that have found no evidence for them or anything ¬_¬ When nothing has been proven time after time am I supposed to just believe in them anyway just in case something comes up? Well I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Until they are proved to exist I will not assume they do. Assuming something without evidence makes no sense.
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is no study in finding out if they CAN'T, and people still insist that they're there. You may as well try telling them not to believe in the holy ghost. Oh wait. People do that. Well, you can see how well THAT's been going over. I'm being nice about this by understanding, but there's no need to go saying something's ridiculous when you don't know any better than I do. For all I know, internet users have 12 times more tha possibility of getting cancer, but in such a way that can't be traced back to it. And if ANYBODY said it in earnest, you'd hear some ghost stories there too, and we'd be in pretty much the same situation. No sense calling out the ridiculous NOW. You're here, on a gaming site, trying to argue with me about ghosts. I think we can discount that as a proper line of debate.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is no study in finding out if they CAN'T, and people still insist that they're there.
So you're perfectly happy in automatically believing in things that there's no evidence for because it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Great.

You know I haven't seen evidence that the Kraken doesn't exist either so it must do.

FalloutJack said:
You may as well try telling them not to believe in the holy ghost. Oh wait. People do that. Well, you can see how well THAT's been going over.
I'm not opening that can of worms. My stance on religious beliefs are the same as the supernatural and I'm leaving it that.

FalloutJack said:
I'm being nice about this by understanding, but there's no need to go saying something's ridiculous when you don't know any better than I do.
Well I clearly know more about the scientific method than you do.

FalloutJack said:
For all I know, internet users have 12 times more tha possibility of getting cancer, but in such a way that can't be traced back to it. And if ANYBODY said it in earnest, you'd hear some ghost stories there too, and we'd be in pretty much the same situation.
And I wouldn't accept that either unless I'd seen some evidence for it.

FalloutJack said:
No sense calling out the ridiculous NOW. You're here, on a gaming site, trying to argue with me about ghosts. I think we can discount that as a proper line of debate.
You know what forget it. Don't try and engage me in a discussion and then just pull the 'it's just a gaming forum' card because things aren't going your way. If that's you're attitude then I really can't be bothered discussing anything else with you.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
I believe there is a phenomenon that people call ghosts--I mean, my mother (who was a psychic) saw ghosts and she isn't a liar. I don't believe they are the souls of dead people. But I think there is something...I just don't know what it is...and I imagine there'll be a scientific explanation at some point in time. Probably an echo of some sort.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
Spot1990 said:
xshadowscreamx said:
i want to believe, i dont want nothingness in death..its unfair and cruel
Jesus, you got to live that not enough? There's an infinite number of possible people who didn't get the chance because they were never born, an infinite number of combinations of sperm, egg and circumstance that will never exist and yet you demand more. And people think it's the atheists who can't appreciate life.
i am atheist, and im still going to try and steel a life extender when invented from a high security lab even if it kills me. lol

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
I believe in highly unexplained and widespread phenomena that mainstream science completely discounts and ignores and refuses to explain. I believe in phenomena that has a large number of highly credible witnesses, photographic and film evidence, and physical evidence.

So yes, I believe in Ghosts, I believe in UFO's, I believe in Bigfoot, I believe in USO's and I believe in the Ultraterrestrial hypothesis for most of them, because I want to explore and understand these unexplained and unusual events because mainstream science doesn't.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Bang Kaboom Ferrell said:
xshadowscreamx said:
i want to believe, i dont want nothingness in death..its unfair and cruel
Reality is Unfair and cruel To me death is like a long sleep that you will never awakan from
Hell if you are super luck you may get a dream that, to you will span thousands upon thousands of years but was just a minute.

------------------------

I don't want death to be forever slumber, but I would be lying to say that ghosts are real.
Let's be honest, any of us are going to have a hard time believing in ghosts or the like on a deep level, whether we want to or not, and whether you accept what science has to say on the matter or not; that's just a consequence of living as modern human beings.

However, that doesn't mean we necessarily have to accept what science says about death.