Poll: Do you believe in the "below the belt" rule?

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
A properly aimed punch to the throat is better. If he can't breathe, he can't fight. You might kill the guy but it's better than getting killed yourself.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
It probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd try, but if it occurred to me, then yes. I'm not going to avoid a move that could end the fight rather than let it continue.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
kortin said:
KiraTaureLor said:
kortin said:
Well, I don't know the literal name of the rule, but basically it states, when fighting, you never hit below the other person's waistline.

So heres a scenario:

You were out at some bar late at night. There was a misunderstanding with the really big guy next to you, next thing you know, you're out in the parking lot fighting. Not only is this guy huge, but he really knows how to fight and is much better than you. He winds up to deal a blow that you just know would knock you out instantly and there is no way for you to dodge it. He made a mistake however, and leaves his groin area wide open. If you kick him there, he won't land the blow, and you would have basically won. Do you go for the opportunity?

I, personally, would. Being knocked out is not very fun.

Edit: Added a few more options to the poll
Edit2: I realize that a kick in the balls is not the "I win" button. We'll assume that it IS an "I win" button for the scenario.
It's a street fight, not boxing. There are no rules regardless weather you started the fight or not.
Indeed. I'm partly asking because I want to see how many people have a sense of honor in a fight; To see how many people will fight by predetermined rules that they have set aside for themselves to follow. There are a lot more reasons I ask this than I let you on to. :)
If your in an intense fight, instincts takes over, then what ever philosophical values we impose on ourselves go out of the door.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Considering how top-heavy I am, this could very well be a life or death situation. In which case, YES. TO THE FLOOR WITH YOU.

Not excessively dangerous fights? No. No I would not.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Considering my poor physical health puts me at a disadvantage when fighting basically anyone, I don't feel particularly bad doing something like that. I try to avoid fights anyway, though.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
I vaguely remember from history class some account of a dual, and if anyone knows who was involved please refresh me on who the people were, but the basics of it were that a dual was offered.

The first man, which I will call the coward, hired a professional dualist to fight in his place, which I will call the dualist. The dualist was one of the best and had never lost a duel. The second man, which I will call the second man because I don't remember anything else about him, could not afford a duelist, so he trained. His training was in defense, and one offensive move, a slashing blow to the thigh.

When the day of the fight came, the second man parried or absorbed the duelists blows, and after a time sliced the non-femoral artery thigh with his first attack which hindered the duelists ability to guard his femoral artery. The next attack severed the artery and the duelist bled to death after refusing medical treatment. Pride of the warrior I guess.

The moral is that when your life is on the line, and you cannot run, then there is nothing below the belt and nothing barred. If you honestly believe that if you lose this fight you are in for an unrighteous curb stomping then goe for the eyes, the throat, the balls. Stomp on their feet, pull their hair and bite. Pick up a board or a pipe. Hell, use a glass bottle or a pitcher. Outside of "internet tough guyville" most of us are not Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee. Taking a blow to the head, gut, kidneys or balls CAN KILL YOU. Especially if you are not trained to take them, if you are out of shape, or if you don't know they are coming. As stated before, if you can avoid the fight, do that. But if you are cornered and must fight, ending it as fast as possible is the best way to come out unharmed.

Besides, you never know when his drunk friends will stumble out as backup.

AwesomeSuperMelon

May 12, 2010
In a fighting situation in real life, there is no such thing as a fair fight. One person will always have an advantage. I would make sure it was me. Kick in the groin? Check. Throwing dust, or something in the eyes? You betcha. Clapping with both hands on the guy's ears really hard? Defo.

Ritalynn

Sep 22, 2010
any punch could technically kill you, or them. I'd treat any fight like a life or death battle and do whatever to subdue them, or stop them.

Anybody saying no, watchings to much UFC and is probably a huge dbag.

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
Survival is a luxury, and you do what you can to obtain it.

Edit: I realize not every fight is life or death, but you add adrenaline and fear for personal safety and it might as well be. I've smashed a bottle over a guy's head for doing that stupid "Made ya flinch" shit, and I would do it again.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I don't believe in "rules" when fighting an unknown person in a random encounter so yes, one blow to the nuts would be forthcoming.

Fluffyz0r

May 2, 2011
Really over 50% of the voters chose to kick someone in the balls...rather then say their liver, kidneys or head?

Im 58kg 176cm and i stood my ground against asshats bigger then me by atleast 30kg.
Ide rather stand fight and loose then kick someone in the balls and get ganked by his friends.

Ps. almost got stabbed once nearly shit myself but i just came at him (had a bad day) and he split.

hold your ground wusses

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I probably wouldn't because I know that I can shrug off a blow like that myself only leaving me more pissed - so no I wouldn't try it on someone even bigger than me XD

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jackhorse said:
I want my enemies to believe it and believe I do too. However one problem with going for the groin in a dirty fight is that men will protect it like their lives depend on it, so unless they're not expecting the move it's pretty much useless.

As Sun Tzu said "Indicate west, strike east"

or in other words "Indicate fair, strike balls"
You're quoting Sun well but missing the equivalence, East and West are neutral directions, mutual interchangeable West, suspecting attack from either won't change strategy, only positioning. It's like the difference between left jab or right hook.

Fighting fair vs dirty are very different, it changes fundamentally the actions and intentions of your opponents.

Take Germany in World War 2, they feigned legitimacy and endlessly sent cables of the slightest infractions of the Geneva Conventions (while secretly murdering civilians by the millions), then in the Battle of the Bulge they made extensive use of German Soldiers in American uniforms, completely unexpected and quite effective.

The backlash was too much though as Allies then gave the order to summarily execute every German caught dressed in allied uniform. This was also "dirty" and was so morale sapping that all German Commando operations melted away as the dirty attack was seen coming and the reprisal was unbearable.

By Sun Tzu saying "indicate west, strike east" is more like the Normandy invasion deception.

Your interpretation would be feigning the disarmament of chemical weapons (allied and axis had huge stockpiles) only to suddenly gas Berlin! That is a massive fucking gamble that they have fallen for your bluff and destroyed their chemical stockpiles, or else they will be loading the nastiest nerve gas into their V1 and V2 weapons to desecrate London.

There was a fatal stand-off right through World War 2 as Japanese, Germans, UK, USA and USSR all had huge poisons gas reserves but they never used them, even as Moscow was on the brink of falling, even as Berlin was being over-run this "dirty tactic" wasn't used as the response would not have been worth the infliction.

It just so happens that in 1945 a nuclear bomb wasn't considered a "dirty" weapon, just a ridiculously over-powered one. The category of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" for nuclear, biological and chemical weapons didn't exist till much later.

That's my ideology on playing dirty i'd rather do the inverse of your idea:

"Feign intention to play Dirty, never actually play dirty"

That is because I don't want to play dirty, because it hurts me more than them. Feigning dirty will discourage them attempting to play dirty for no ambiguity in a dirty reprisal.

The problem today with terrorism is even posturing a fake dirty response is politically untenable. It worked back in 1991 (cold war just ended) Saddam's chemical weapons stockpile was countered mostly by US forces tacitly threatening to nuke Baghdad if they tried gassing their troops.

But now the politics of mutually assured destruction fade into distant memory it is not longer acceptable to threatened a "Dirty" nuclear response to terrorism.

Or has it?

So far terrorists have stuck mostly to bombs, guns and knives. And so the coalition have not used nerve gas or other agents. But if Al Qaeda ever use a radiological-bomb, expect increased use of "novel agents" mainly of incapacitation and area denial.

But Al Qaeda have been dirty, kidnapping for extortion and execution; suicide and roadside bombings; political assassinations (Benazirh Bhuto).

US have been "dirty" in their own way, mainly through targeted killings "up rank", quite unprecedented in warfare to focus so much on "decapitation" operations.
Also not granting Al Qaeda POWs Geneva Convention protection (technically legal unless Al Qaeda start wearing a uniform) is another dirty tactic, but a response to Al Qaeda's dirty tactics of fighting so much in subterfuge.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Sparring or tournament, I follow the rules as with any other organized sport. Or when messing around with friends.

In a real fight though, there is no such thing as "fair". Whatever it takes to get my ass out of there relatively unscathed. I try to walk away from fights, but if I can't, I'll do my best to end it as quickly as possible.