Poll: Do you believe in time travel?

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
I would say it's possible, just not into the past. If it was possible to travel into the past wouldnt we have met some time travelers by now from the future?

Blind marskman

Jul 12, 2010
Wether time tavel is posible or not, it should be forbiden to use it or trying. If all that stories about time traveling agree on is that time traveling can be very dagerous.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Time travel should never be invented, why? Because then you get corporations or some form of corrupt figurehead manipulating time like he manipulates the media. What, Obama was elected? No he wasn't it was a landslide for Sarah Palin. The slaves were freed? No they weren't we just perfected slave chips and morphine injections. Science progressed? Hell no we are still in horse drawn carriages and under the dominion of kings and queens and guillotines. (bonus points if you got the reference)

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I would love to believe that a form of time travel where there are no consequences for your actions in the past is possible. More like a simulation of the past and future rather than actually traversing time itself. However, that is merely a fantasy of mine and I don't hold out much hope for it... Or any form of time travel really. I just want to go back and study the past - I would rock the shit out of all of my essays if I could actually go back and experience the events I am studying.

So yeah, I don't think that is is possible really given that time is merely a concept; a theory - A creation of our own imagining, designed as a convenient way for us to perceive the passing of... well time I guess. AHH! Time is so confusing!

jcallen

Nov 14, 2010
fedirko7 said:
I think of it like this:
has the past ever changed? No? Then obviously time travel is either impossible or never discovered.
Well if the past changed we could not be aware of that or else it would be paradoxical, because unless you where the one time traveling how would you know it had occurred.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
joebthegreat said:
FarleShadow said:
Welcome to the internet.
If you aren't at war, you're gunna get raped.
With no sarcasm or ill will intended I want to say this:

You're awesome... and I've been enjoying your side of the argument so far.
The internet thanks you.
And you're a massive homosexual.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Time travel will only be possible if paradoxes are taken out of the picture. This is made possible by parallel dimensions. You could go to any point in time, do whatever you like, but you would not affect your own time-line because the act of traveling through time puts you into a different universe. You could then kill your grandfather without fear of de-existing yourself because they are different people.
As far as traveling to the future, I foresee it as possible in that we may one day be able to stop the passage of time in a small area, a stasis bubble. If that is so, then you could enter the bubble and effectively transport yourself any number of years into the future (Assuming your bubble isn't affected by the outside world). This method is the only one I can actually see happening. Traveling to the event horizon of a black hole, or creating an object with enough mass will accomplish this. Both options not happening any time in the foreseeable future.

The more romantic option, actually traveling forward in time without having experienced the passing years, is impossible as that would mean the future has already been decided. Assuming we aren't in a giant simulation I can't see that being possible.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
It's like the whole 'light speed' from star wars, 'warp speed' from star trek, and 'such and such speed' from 'sci-fi fantasy series number 12.'

We don't have the magical maguffin device that can allow us to do this. I think we have the technology available to MAKE a time machine, it's just that we don't have the 'can tap into the fabric of time' maguffin needed.

Example: In Star Trek, all the ships can actually enter 'warp speed' because of things called 'dilithium crystals.' These do not exist in our universe, but almost all the other technology in Star Trek we have a resemblance of now. If we found some kind of 4th-dimension changing phenomenon or dark matter or 'dilithium' in our current universe, we might actually be able to see or move into the past or future.

Theoretically, time travel is possible, but we don't have the... Fuel. We have the car, but not the gasoline. We have the train, but not the coal. We have the gameboy, but no batteries. (Or game for that matter.)

The problem is, does the fuel even exist? We're working on something that isn't in our universe that we know of. Perhaps the LHC can shed some light on that random piece of fuel we need, but right now, we have nothing to push our cars with besides ourselves.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Traveling into the far future very quickly seems to be much more feasible than going backwards in time. If only because you need to just move incredibly fast for relativistic effects to take place. Traveling faster than the speed of light is almost completely impossible, at least to my understanding.

"The light barrier is not an engineering problem like the supersonic airplanes traveling faster than the speed of sound. The light barrier is a law of nature, as basic as gravity. Light travels at the exact same speed no matter what your reference frame is. Nothing can ever catch up with light." -Carl Sagan.

However among the realm of mystical theoretical particles in the physics realm, I've heard tales of the legendary Tachyon. A particle with an imaginary mass that allows it to travel faster than light. If we were to find or generate one of these particles, then we may be able to figure out some hint of time travel. Maybe?

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Quantum Roberts said:
For the most part, I don't put much stock into the idea though I do find myself facinated by it. I think the biggest problem with the idea is travelling through time and not space, like Back to The Future.
See, if you were to travel through time, the space you were occupying wouldn't even be in the same place. The planet would still be moving in its orbit and you would find yourself in outer space...did I explain that right?
Hm... i think i get your explanation and what you are saying. I personally think that it might be possible to travel forwards in time but not (fully) backwards. Say in the year 2012 January 1st a Mr. Smith designs a time machine, he can go forwards 1, 10 ,100 whatever years but he cannot go backwards because the time machine hadn't been designed then.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Hooded.Gamer said:
Hmmmmm . . . . I think that Thyme Travel will be possible one day, but it's many many decades off.
Huzzah!
Onwards fine fellows, to the herb mobile!

Fill 'er up, premium oregano, there's a good lad.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Not possible.
Why?
Cause and effect.
Let's say a scientist creates a time machine, takes a fully operational and loaded pistol with him, and travels back in time a minute to the exact position he was.
He then finds his 'past' self getting ready to step into the time machine and shoots him, then the effect (him being shot) would have happened BEFORE the cause (going back in time to do it) creating a paradox akin to dividing by zero (or so I've heard), collapsing the universe in a infinitesmall amount of time.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I wish I could go back to the beginning of time and see where polls go when they die.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I just don't think it's possible. If you go back, you're changing history and it just gets confusing. You can't go forward because it hasn't happened yet so there's nothing to go into.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Hell no. It's not possible. Ever.

All the theories, I've yet seen, supporting it fail.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Of course time travel is possible. Like consider me. From the time I started writing this sentence, I have traveled about fifteen seconds forward in time. People are constantly time traveling ^_^

Okay fine. I don't think it matters, really. If time travel is possible, humans are never going to be able to do it. Unless, you know, we stopped wasting energy on killing each other and making as much money as possible and all that other bullshit we seem to be obsessing over, and we started devoting a hell of a lot more of our energy/money into figuring this shit out.

SirBrad

Nov 9, 2009
It's certainly possible, an, I believe, proven, that those traveling through space experience time slower than those who remain on earth, or something like that. One day, we will likely, yes, likely (look at what we have now that seemed impossible long ago and is now common place), find out how someday. However, it may not be possible to travel back in time, but we never know. If it does happen, I believe it would result in a separate universe where the change was made and altered every event afterward. If it does happen one day, we won't know because we do not live in a universe impacted by the change of a time traveler (as far as we know).

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
This question depends wholly on what you think time travel actually is. I mention that because I noticed a lot of jokers saying everyone is currently traveling in time.

I don't think there will ever be a time closet ( or car, train, bus, keychain, spaceship) you step into and arrive anywhere and any when you want, but it does look like to a degree time travel is possible. If you include time dilation effects as time travel then the answer is defiantly yet. Time dilation is observable.