Poll: Do you believe in "women and children first"?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
"Women and Children First" is a ridiculous idea that is barely ever put into practice (Titanic is a weird one). Imagine the chaos it would cause if the crew of a ship had to order the people going into lifeboats? Telling someone that they can't get on because someone else might arrive soon and may need their place, that shit wouldn't fly.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
No, of course not. And can such a thing even be considered even a benefit to women at all when it obviously comes from chivalrous thought?

I can understand pregnant women. And definitely children. But please, women aren't dainty things that need to be protected, and men's lives aren't expendable.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I believe in people who need help should receive it, but it has no gender / race / age limit.
And I've come across "you should give women your seat" bullshit many times, I'll give you my seat if you have a hard time standing otherwise don't ever try to cash in on my good will.

Henco

Aug 24, 2009
As a manly man, I'll have to say women and children first.

As a squishy mammal, I'll have to say... get outta my way.

Which one I'll be when the s*** hits the fan, I can't say. I've faced danger before, but nowhere near as dire as a ship sinking. I'd like it to be a manly man, but then again, I'd also like to have a Lamborghini...

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
in a disaster will having women survive over men affect humanities survival. doubtful, we have enough people on earth atm.

is a women and more valuable than a man? any weaker?

children are more valuable and imo deserve to get to safety first.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I sort of believe in it but to a certain extent (the child is more important than the women). Obviously if the child has a single father or any alternative to a mother than of course they also have the right to survive. I still view saving a child life is important since they have not fully experience the gift of life due to their age.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
I can sort of understand the children thing seeing as they're weaker and need more help, but there's no reason women should get preference. Although the whole idea of giving anyone preference seems like it would just eat up time which could be used escaping, and in an age where there's (hopefully) an appropriate number of lifeboats on any given ship, people shouldn't need to be given preference.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Liquidacid23 said:
actually men are technically more expendable than women to a point...
To a very, very small point in the survival of the species.

One that's fairly moot in an overpopulated world.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Liquidacid23 said:
actually men are technically more expendable than women to a point... a woman can only have roughly one child a year and only even do that for a relatively small portion of their life while men can have as man as they can find women to have them with for most of their life... so as far as our species is concerned men are much much more expendable than women.
Uh, no. Granted, if there are ten humans left and I have to repopulate the planet, I'll take one man and nine women. But in any other situation, reproductive capability doesn't have any bearing on how "expendable" someone is, even as far as our species' survival is concerned.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
Its not about women and children first its about weakest before strongest. (i am totally not making any gender specific accusations!) what i am saying is that rather than saying well you are a woman so you should automatically go before all the men i think a situational judgment needs to be made. if there is a wounded "person" incapable of movement with out help then they should go in front of those not wounded. the same counts for general ability to look after ones self in the given situation. but this is all IMO.

May 29, 2011
Children should be first, but families should stay with their children, so in practicality I believe in however gets there first gets the spot. In my opinion it's morally (not that morality should be considered as much as logic in these situations) and logically the right answer, not because i think "hey fuck everyone that isn't me especially children since I find them annoying" because in my opinion thats immature, shallow and selfish.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I remember reading that the whole "men and children" first principle came after the HMS Birkenhead, a ship carrying both civilian passengers and soldiers sunk around the Cape of Good Hope at the turn of the 20th century. Due to the limited amount of lifeboats, the soldiers prioritised the civilians (being mostly women and children) first. Their actions were widely commended and the principle stuck. It's never been supported by maritime law which is just as well because that would be rather sexist.

Of course i don't know how i would act in the event of a being on a sinking ship. I'd think i would give away my first or second offer of a place to women or children (or indeed farthers should they wish to be with their family) but i wouldn't wait around put it that way.

Tom Urquhart

Sep 6, 2011
Apparently, they've changed it to children and families with children first now, so that way families won't be broken up.

MBaskerville

Apr 10, 2012
I'd let kids get to safety over my safety other than that it's first in best dressed. I'm not really a plane/boat/train fan anyway.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Children first, but mostly because I'm still a child. Though for younger children, there isn't much of a point to it if the family has to stay behind.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Children first, I tend to dislike the little shits but think they deserve a chance to live more than I deserve a few more years, after that first come first serve.