Poll: Do you care about "flag burning"?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Not sure why I'm asking this. I was just watching a YouTube video of yet another example of Middle-Eastern people burning American flags. I know, right? It's so new and suprising.

But then it cut to somewhere in London where the local Muslims were burning a UK flag. I wasn't so much offended as I was confused. As in, why are they burning the flag of where they live? But I digress...Anyway, when I skimmed the comment section, as you do. I found a ton of what I assume to be Americans/British resident's crying out about how offensive flag burning is. I don't really care about the whole thing, hopefully that doesn't make me "unpatriotic" or whatever but there ya go.

However, this isn't about me (unfortunately). I want to know what others think. Hopefully a large chuck of Americans pop by, since they seem to take 'patriotism' more cereally than most.

edit - Just for clarity, this is not strictly about foreigners burning your nations flag. It can also include your fellow citizens doing it.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
I think flags should be made of non flammable materials, problem solved...all you can do is HEAT a flag and that would seem boring :)

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Dragonclaw said:
I think flags should be made of non flammable materials, problem solved...all you can do is HEAT a flag and that would seem boring :)
Perhaps they would start freezing flags in liquid nitrogen instead.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
It seems mostly pointless. I think it's basically a way for angry people to vent without actually doing anything harmful (or useful).

People who get offended should keep in mind that it's just a piece of cloth that's being burnt, instead of, you know, a human being.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
It doesn't bother me. Flags just aren't important to me at all. Every burnt flag can simply be replaced without much hassle. As for the idealogical sides to it, I just see it as the arsonists' right to express his opinion on that country or the government et cetera.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Dragonclaw said:
Nah, make the flags out of firecrackers. So you can enjoy if they do burn it.

Or better yet - marshmallow.

"Death to capitalist pigs! ...oh, this smells quite nice".

No, I got it. Bacon. Go for bacon. Oh, that would be just awesome.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
dyre said:
People who get offended should keep in mind that it's just a piece of cloth that's being burnt, instead of, you know, a human being.
But imagine they used voodoo magic to set the entire country on fire. Or at least think of the CO[sub]2[/sub] emissions. Come on, you can see they are evil don't you?

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
At the end of the day, who cares? It's just a flag - it's no more offensive than saying "Fuck America" really.
If people want to buy a flag and then burn it, it's just them wasting money for an empty gesture.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Considering that the US Flag Code lists burning as the preferred method of disposing of a flag, I'd like to thank the demonstrators for being so respectful to the symbol of our union.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Why they're good upstanding citizens in the eyes of US law.

The only legal way to dispose of a flag in America is to burn it.
Dragonclaw said:
They'd probably make them out of some form of flimsy plastic so they would still blow in the wind. All that would happen would be we'd have melting flags instead of burning them.

There's something off about that British flag in the second pic.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
DoPo said:
dyre said:
But imagine they used voodoo magic to set the entire country on fire. Or at least think of the CO[sub]2[/sub] emissions. Come on, you can see they are evil don't you?
Yeah, but the people who get angry about flag burnings probably don't even believe in the problems caused by CO2 emissions!

You have a point about the voodoo magic though.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
OneCatch said:
At the end of the day, who cares? It's just a flag - it's no more offensive than saying "Fuck America" really.
If people want to buy a flag and then burn it, it's just them wasting money for an empty gesture.
Oh, there was an old joke I remembered. It went something like: In the Middle East, they burn US flags. In return, people in the US buy flags and hang them outside their houses. And the Jews are the ones who sell them.

dyre said:
DoPo said:
dyre said:
Yeah, but the people who get angry about flag burnings probably don't even believe in the problems caused by CO2 emissions!

You have a point about the voodoo magic though.
Those evil witches and warlocks. Why do you think they burn models of people. Them and their black magic. They are training, I tell you - they haven't succeed yet, but with enough practice they will learn to unleash their burning hatred from afar.

And think of all the emissions then - it wouldn't be just a flag burning, is it. We have a legitimate cause for concern.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Ive always found flag burning, and the people who take offense to it, to be ridiculously silly.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I do take offense to flag burning, It's like calling a black man "a dirty ******" or a brown person "a paki bastard" except you're saying it to an entire country. I'm from the UK, I also object to the burning of anything that represents a culture so koran burning, bible burning, poppy burning is offensive. I'm not personally offended by bible or koran burning because I'm not a muslim or christian but it is disrespectful.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, it doesn't bother me at all, it keeps flag makers in business, after all.
And everyone knows what happens in a world without flag makers.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I sometimes get slightly upset by it. Not by the act itself, it's just a flag, but it's a little on the extreme side. You could just say "Fuck country x" but burning a flag is an action and makes me think that the feelings harboured by the flag burner could escalate their actions.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Its not just the burning of a flag that bothers me, it is the meaning behind it.

People burning a flag in the street are not saying "oh, look, we're going to burn a piece of cloth to dispose of it"... they are deliberately stating "This is a symbol of this nation, I hate it so I am going to destroy it in a disrespectful manner."

Flags are important, they are like a badge that marks us as part of a nation when we wear it.. which is why it annoys me to see the union jack plastered over random clothing, same with other nations flags. Historically, they were literal rallying points for armies, rebellions, freedom fighters and other disparate groups.