Poll: Do you care about the story in Half LIfe?

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
it's not so much the story in itself but the world VALVe created. I for example enjoyed the vehicle segments, couse it gave me the chance to see this new version of earth and explore every house i come across.(I also enjoyed the banter of every NPC couse you get insight into how it is living under combine rule)
and anyone who wasn't at least a little bit shocked at the end of episode 2 has no heart. it was perfectly done and REALLY got me fired up for episode 3 (so where the #$%&"#$% is ep3)

last point: although it may not be something special today (although it is way above a LOT of modern games in terms of story) it was lightyears ahead of most developers when it was released. and til this day there are wery few developers who have managed to create as magnificent a world as is displayed in half life

edit: also it's not the story in itself which is so great but how they tell the story through the world and people around you (and no I'm not talking about the ham-fisted story point where they lock you in a room with NPC's playing out the exposition(it's not bad and for how they decited to never stop gameplay (no cutscenes)it is probably the best way posible to deliver big chunks of exposition))

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I find the story very boring but at least the gameplay and the NPC characters are very solid, so I still consider the HL series to be good games.