Poll: Do you cheat in minecraft?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I only cheat to try things out, like blowing up an entire mountain or making complex redstone circuits.

If I've decided to play 'properly', I don't use any extra software. I just play the game as Mojang intended.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I see it as cheating only in single player, that's where I like to slowly build up my cube based empire through hard craft.

Get me on a server with friends though? WE ARE BUT BLOCKY GODS.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
elcamino41383 said:
I don't cheat in Minecraft because I don't play! *Cue most people saying "OMG WHY NOT?! YOU HAVE TO PLAY MINECRAFT! IT'S TEH AW3SOM3!!! 1337!!!?!!111
ZOMG!!!

but seriously im curious to know *why* you dont play minecraft?

i really am being serious

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Yes to both questions, but I only edit my inventory for experimentation or construction purposes. Or for teh lulz.

Otherwise I play legitimately.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
On some worlds no, on some worlds yes.

For example I don't need anything for my extended tree house city. But I had to use INVedit and MCedit a lot for my huge sunken city.
I don't see it as real cheating though. I just prefer the creative mode over survival sometimes.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
drbarno said:
elcamino41383 said:
I don't cheat in Minecraft because I don't play! *Cue most people saying "OMG WHY NOT?! YOU HAVE TO PLAY MINECRAFT! IT'S TEH AW3SOM3!!! 1337!!!?!!111
I'm with you on that (also now expecting similiar comments too)
OMG WHY NOT?! YOU HAVE TO PLAY MINECRAFT! IT'S TEH AW3SOM3!!! 1337!!!?!!111

OT: I never use any mods for Minecraft (mainly because I don't know how to install them properly :p), but even if I did I probably wouldn't use things such as invedit, and other such "cheating" tools. I prefer to play the game with more of a challenge :D

BaconPunch

Mar 24, 2011
Of course, the fun part isn't mining for hours to gain 3 diamonds then hit a lava flow and losing it all. It's making stuff. And I'm certainly not going to dig a 13x15 grid to bedrock, TNT is the answer. Way more than I could get by killing creepers.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I don't cheat in games, at all. If a game is that boring or annoying that I would want to cheat then I'm probably better off playing something else instead.

ScruffyTheJanitor

Jul 17, 2009
Don't play minecraft personally, but i just want to clarify a couple of points to define "cheating." Cheating has to be done to someone, by someone. In single player games, if he uses cheats, he loses out. In multi, other players can lose out too.

Take a standard basic shooter. If you hack into the code and make it so your gun fires 100 rockets a second the game mechanics are broken, by the player, to gain an unfair edge upon other people.
Where the cheating is actually done is actually by himself, on himself. He kills all the challenge that the game mechanics imposed on him, and all he is doing is making the game mundane for himself.
Now, consider this. The developers have put this gun in as a perfectly legit pickup (COD heli anyone?). In this case, the game mechanics are already broken.. and it's the developers that have left it in and essentially, they are the ones cheating the gameplay out of it's players. This is mostly unintentional, and can be discounted as being malicious, but it still can be cheating the player out of the challenge.

So in short, if the game mechanics are allowing ways to cheat, then you're not to blame for using them to your advantage, they just shouldn't be in the game in the first place. You as a person can choose against using them to increase your challenge, but just keep in mind that people who abuse broken parts in the game, are just playing the game too.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I usually don't cheat, I tried spawning all my items and building my ideal creation in Minecraft, but I found it to be so boring. When I was searching for everything I found I was having fun.

Sometimes, if I don't get enough of a material (namely coal and iron) or if I lose something valuable (like a clock or a diamond tool) I spawn it, but that's usually all.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's not cheating the game, the game doesn't care, you are only cheating yourself out of the full experience.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Mr.K. said:
It's not cheating the game, the game doesn't care, you are only cheating yourself out of the full experience.
Pretty much this, i was going to say something similar but this says it better than i could.

I understand why people do it though, if you just want to build something huge and epic, and dont want to mine, then fair enough you can play the game how you want to and just get to building. Although personally if you had the same 2 structures but built by different people, and one mined the materials and the other didnt, i'd think the one who did the mining was better.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i have a Single Player and Server. i have Peaceful, because i had Creeper infestations on my first night and i i had to continue like that, i'd stop playing.
on the server, i spawn stuff, because i like building. on SP, i dont because i set up farms etc.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Well, in single player I use an Inventory Editor, Flatgrass map and Single Player Commands; the whole adventure side doesn't really appeal to me, I just like the building.

Should really start playing MP tbh.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
It's kind of hard to cheat since, at least when I last played it, there didn't seem to be defined objectives.
It's a creativity toy, so your friend can do what they want. I have fun hunting for items, as it makes the resulting craft all the more enjoyable. I don't, however, expect everyone to feel the same.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
only problem I have is when people use x-ray on multiplayer servers to give themselves an unfair advantage

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
Yes, on single player, to get a buttload of TNT and make a really nice explosion that destroyed an entire mountain range. Other than that, no.
That I will consider doing, sounds like good fun.

Other than that I don't cheat.
No fun in that.

Sep 14, 2009
mehh i dont find it cheating, its just avoiding the farming

i do not cheat myself, but i could care less for the annoying fucking monsters so i am always on peaceful

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It's not cheating, some people just want to build. That said, I find it far more rewarding to painstakingly collect the materials, retreat from the building site every nightfall etc.
I have a couple of main worlds where I don't "cheat" in any way, no peaceful mode no hacking in items etc.
Then I have one world where I just concept things, like my death maze, fiery arrows, arrow traps cannons etc. I do hack the materials in there, to find out if it works and stuff, cause I don't want to use m hard earned materials only to have the project blow up in my face.
It can also be fun to hack in a butt load of TNT and blow up a mountain or something.
Anyway, my point is, mainly I don't "cheat", not that there is anything wrong with "cheating".

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
I never used to "cheat" at it
mining everything you needed was half the game, the other half being building
but for pure creation i do use mods like too many items and the flying mod etc.
but i have two worlds, one where i mine and then craft
and another one where i craft and craft and craft and craft and craft