Poll: Do you dream when sleeping?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Apparantly I'm odd with dreams, because I remember at least one each night (I assume I often have more than one night, considering some night I can remember more than one even though I didn't wake up), or at the very least every other day, and can even keep most of them in my long term memory. I say "odd" because none of my friends can seem to do that. They all say they can remember them for the day, but by the next morning they can't even remember if they had a dream the night prior. I don't know why I can remember dreams so easily (though perhaps not as vivid as they actually happened in my mind), it just seems to be that way. If someone can explain why, it'd be interesting to hear a theory on that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually if I'm not mistaken I believe reasurch has shown that we actually have upwards of a dozen dreams during the course of an average nights sleep and only the one's that occur closest to waking are the one's that are remembered. Although I haven't been remembering any of my dreams lately.

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Apparantly I'm odd with dreams, because I remember at least one each night (I assume I often have more than one night, considering some night I can remember more than one even though I didn't wake up), or at the very least every other day, and can even keep most of them in my long term memory. I say "odd" because none of my friends can seem to do that. They all say they can remember them for the day, but by the next morning they can't even remember if they had a dream the night prior. I don't know why I can remember dreams so easily (though perhaps not as vivid as they actually happened in my mind), it just seems to be that way. If someone can explain why, it'd be interesting to hear a theory on that.
Adults usually dream in 90 minute cycles, so it's not unusual to have multiple dreams a night. Though, most people don't remember dreams frequently. How you wake up in the morning may be a factor as to why you remember your dreams so frequently.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Sennune said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Adults usually dream in 90 minute cycles, so it's not unusual to have multiple dreams a night. Though, most people don't remember dreams frequently. How you wake up in the morning may be a factor as to why you remember your dreams so frequently.

90% of the time I wake up just before my alarm clock goes off, about 4 minutes or so before it goes off. I did hear that being awakened abruptly can cause you to remember your dream, but I usually (or seem to anyway) wake up on my own to dead silence in the morning.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm very good at remembering dreams, and have lucid dreams often. I can often also go to the lucid dreaming state from waking up and going back to sleep.

Lucid dreams are awesome. At their best they're like a virtual reality. I like to fly and shapeshift, and for example fight zombies.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Not usually, in fact whenever I do have a dream I mark it down as a rare occurrence, going to sleep at 2:am will do that to ya. My dreams are generally dull disjointed affairs, like a really bored indecisive person flicking through a tv.

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Sennune said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:

90% of the time I wake up just before my alarm clock goes off, about 4 minutes or so before it goes off. I did hear that being awakened abruptly can cause you to remember your dream, but I usually (or seem to anyway) wake up on my own to dead silence in the morning.
I believe that's precisely why. Most people wake up for a few seconds or minutes then immediately fall back to sleep, several times even before being up for the day. That interferes with the processing of short term memory into long term so most people forget what they were dreaming even though the dream occurred several minutes before.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
It is said that people dream when they are having a deep, restful sleep. So it would make sense that I don't dream that often I suppose. Sleeping isn't easy for me (as weird as it sounds).

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Sometimes.

And if i do they are usually the kind that you should really call a professional for.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
I can't even remember the last dream I had. I basically never dream, but I do remember getting occasional nightmares as a kid.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I always dream an remember my dreams.

Whether I know if it actually was a dream or not usually takes me a few hours, meaning for a few hours after waking up I will believe that whatever happened in my dream actually happened.

This can lead to very confusing mornings as I often have extremely dirty dreams and have to go to college less than an hour after waking often times meeting people I've had said dirty dreams about...

My dreams are often pretty amazing though, on weekends I generally go back to sleep in order to continue a particularly good one.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
If I actually get the luxury of falling asleep I may or may not be able to remember my dreams. I always know that I was dreaming but what happened is hardly easy to recall.
I seem to dream in a half lucid state: I can tell that i'm dreaming but it feels more like my thoughts are just really erratic. And when I do get control of my dreams I wake up in (what feels like) a few seconds.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Everyday. They are all mostly nonsense or mix of real life events, stuff on t.v., books, games, and etc. I can recall most dreams and most are amusing, but some are nightmares that don't bring as much fear, but utter sadness...

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
EVERY DAMN NIGHT...

Everyone dreams every time they lapse into an unconscious state, your subconscious is always working, so when you are asleep, you always dream, technically you may not remember them most of the time, and the dreams you do "Remember" are only the ones you experience randomly that cause your conscious mind to activate, usually the dreams you are experiencing right before awakening, are the ones you remember.

I tend to sleep a disturbed kinda sleep, waking up every few hours in a state of panic or emotional discomfort of some kind most nights, probably has to do with my state of near constant self hate and depression, but that's a battle I've been fighting since I was small, medication has only ever served to put me in a worse state, so it seems I'm pretty well stuck fighting alone and unaided, marijuana helps when I can get it, but that's rare nowadays, as I cannot get a prescription for medical access due to stupid rules, and due to not having some kind of cancer treatment or specific physical ailment to warrant it, but yeah.

Essentially I'm stuck with my dreams, fighting in my head, toeing the line between life ruining states of depression and a kinda blah state while my emotions are fully shut off and I live the life of a calculator/labour machine with a smiling mask on.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Everyone dreams when they sleep.

Whether you remember them when you wake up is a different matter :D
Yeah, this is true. Everyone goes through several dream cycles during a night, but we'll only be able to remember it if we wake up during one. Considering each one lasts about 10 minutes the chances are slim, but everyone dreams every night.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I sometimes day dream but I don't really dream when sleeping since I cannot for the life of me remember anything let alone thinking of dreaming.

Catpcha: Ride the subway.

I think that's just a tad suggestive >.>

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Yes, I do. Remember them most of the time, too. The fun thing is that I have ongoing storylines in my dreams; one that I have been dipping into recently is about genetically modified dinosaurs created by the KGB attacking the Earth.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I sleep during the day because I am a vampire and I have a strange sleeping scheduel.

With that said I do dream, but most of the times I can't see them through to the end because something always wakes me up which results in me forgetting the dream all together which is rather awkward.

Most of the times I have the so called "white dreams" where, although I'm asleep, I can't see myself in any dreams whatsoever.