Poll: Do you ever buy the sequels to games without ever playing the originals?

Sep 17, 2009
Hello escapists, I have always been late on the gaming curve. In all actuality I feel as though I have just caught up on "the times" so to speak.

And because of this I have a few games that are the sequels in the series, but have never played the original.

Honestly, I do feel bad playing the second part of a series without playing the first...makes me feel like a poser or something.

Anyway I own Halo 3 (and ODST), and Assassin's Creed 2 and have never beaten the originals of those games.

Have you guys ever done this, and if so does it make you feel bad?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I played FF13 without ever playing the originals. I dont think its essential to go back and play them but if you like a game in the series then its always worth a look back.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Only, as you, AC2, because I've been told 2 is much better. If the over-all gameplay of the sequels is good, I wouldn't do it. I want to uderstand the references made in the 2nd or 3rd part of a game.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Depends on the game.

For some games the story either isn't important or isn't connected to the previous games in any significant way. For other games, you'll be missing a lot of the plot if you didn't play the ones that came before it.

So yeah, I do sometimes buy sequels without having played the original, but I usually do a quick bit of e-research on whatever title I'm going to buy, so if I need to play the original I'll find out about it that way.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
I've only done it twice.
The first with Oblivion and second with MGS3.
I generally don't do it because I feel like I am missing out.

EDIT: I mean 3 times, I forgot about Fallout.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Unfortunately I have, but the only instance I know of is Fallout 3. I did buy and play the originals after I beat 3, but I still did it.

I guess you could say that with Zelda: Ocarina of time as well, but I've played through all the zelda games at this point, so it might not work as well.

SenorFuzzeh

May 14, 2009
Nope. Cuz then you usually miss so much and the game expierence isn't the same. Before I played MGS4 I went back and played 1-3 that I had never played before, and now its one of my favorite game series. Thatd be like if someone played Mass Effect 2 without playing the first, it wouldnt be the same expierence!

EDIT: the onyl time ive done it is one games where it doesnt really matter if you played the orginals, like the FF games or Street Fighter, or Elder Scrolls.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Why yes I do, but only because the game must be good or I've only seen the predecessor and known that the sequel was an improvement. Like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney--I got the 2nd and 4th games before the 1st or third and it helped because I filled in missing plot points in between ;P.Or, in a choice that's probably gonna earn some flames, Pokemon. I never played Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, or Crystal. I started on Ruby and Sapphire, those are the ones I liked. They were sequels because every time you began anew; it's not like in ME 2 where you can bring a character from the first one over, unless you have 2 DS's to trade all your Pokemans.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
It's hard not to buy a sequel without playing the original. Some of those originals date back to times before we would have been able to play that sort of game.

Apr 29, 2010
If the story in the sequel doesn't really relate to the story in the first one, then yes. But if they'e connected in a way that it's beneficial to play the first one, then I try get the first one beforehand. That way, I'm not left feeling lost when they talk about things that happened in the first game.

RobDJClark

Oct 31, 2009
I dont like doing it. But I played DMC3 first. Which was kinda useful. I also played Kingdom Hearts 2 before the original. And various other games. I only did this because I know that if I see a pre owned game, even if its a sequel, by it anyway, cause you never know when your gonna see it on the pre owned list again.

Oh yeah, I played Shin megami tensei lucifers call, and Persona 3 and four, without ever playing the original ones as well.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I bought Saints Row 2 because it was a fiver and supposedly quite good. Enjoyed it so much, I went out and got the original. I've been going through it going "Oh so THAT'S what happened" or "Oh Yeah, I killed him, didn't I?"

Looking forward to Saints Row 3 now.

Sep 17, 2009
SenorFuzzeh said:
Nope. Cuz then you usually miss so much and the game expierence isn't the same. Before I played MGS4 I went back and played 1-3 that I had never played before, and now its one of my favorite game series. Thatd be like if someone played Mass Effect 2 without playing the first, it wouldnt be the same expierence!

EDIT: the onyl time ive done it is one games where it doesnt really matter if you played the orginals, like the FF games or Street Fighter, or Elder Scrolls.
A little off topic, but I was wondering should I get Mass Effect? Im sure I could pick up the first one for like $20.

How are the gameplay mechanics, because I have played KotOR before and I was not a huge fan of the combat.

Does the combat flow nicely?

OT: If the sequel to the game relies heavily on the story of the original, with not recapping, then I like to play the original first.