Poll: Do you ever feel alienated?

Jul 5, 2009
So after a talk to my dad about how the government claims to be for the people they don't seem to ever listin to us. At least not here in Ireland.
But I just started to think about alienation at all levels. So I thought I'd ask you guys (but not in religion and politics, not as much traffic there lol)
so escapist, do you ever feel alienated, on any level?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
FargoDog said:
I often feel alienated from my friends simply because I over analyse everything I say and I always fear I've upset them, so I sometimes avoid interaction with them in case I have. So it's self-alienation, really.
I get this too. Over-analysis is fun. :)

And alienation from the government is to be expected, especially here in the UK where none of the politicians seem to have ever seen the real world much less understood it.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
If I do feel alienated, I either work to fix that or ignore it well alone. I understand what you mean about politics though, none of the so called democratic countries truly represent the will of the people

For me the worst kind of alienation come from people who write into letter pages in the newspapers, or when I see how people vote etc. They don't represent me, none of these people do, and they all are arguing for things that won't make life any better, generally with no real knowledge of what they are talking about. Am I the only one who gives a shit?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
tomtom94 said:
FargoDog said:
I often feel alienated from my friends simply because I over analyse everything I say and I always fear I've upset them, so I sometimes avoid interaction with them in case I have. So it's self-alienation, really.
I get this too. Over-analysis is fun. :)
It is, then it gets worrying. Never felt alienated from it though. Never felt alienated at all, really.

And alienation from the government is to be expected, especially here in the UK where none of the politicians seem to have ever seen the real world much less understood it.
Which is why I plan to become one. I'll be the kind who blows off a conference to go down the pub. To see what the common man thinks, of course..

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
FargoDog said:
I understand this. I don't alienate myself, I am often more interesting, charismatic and funny over the internet since I get to think about my acitons. And I do analyse quite alot and have long sessions of pacing round my house in solid thought. My pacing annoys people...

EDIT: screwed up quoting.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
I always feel different from other people. I don't there's really a place for me in this world.....

Sorry, I get depressed when I think about it.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
"Alienated" is my second name. By everyone, from government (naturally) to people of my age and down to certain members of my own family. I'm lucky to have the Internet, or i wouldn't have friends at all. And yes, it does suck when you can't even find anyone you could talk to.

Verlander said:
If I do feel alienated, I either work to fix that or ignore it well alone. I understand what you mean about politics though, none of the so called democratic countries truly represent the will of the people
Just don't go around pretending that autocratic regimes are any better, okay? We all know they're just as bad.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Kollega said:
"Alienated" is my second name. By everyone, from government (naturally) to people of my age and down to certain members of my own family. I'm lucky to have the Internet, or i wouldn't have friends at all. And yes, it does suck when you can't even find anyone you could talk to.

Verlander said:
Just don't go around pretending that autocratic regimes are any better, okay? We all know they're just as bad.
Where did I say that? I don't believe that, nor did I even suggest that. You are creating something out of nothing there. So much for what "we all know".

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Verlander said:
Where did I say that? I don't believe that, nor did I even suggest that. You are creating something out of nothing there. So much for what "we all know".
That comment was a restatement of the obvious, not an invitation for any debates. I've just forgot that tone of voice does not transmit over the net. That's about it.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Kollega said:
Verlander said:
That comment was a restatement of the obvious, not an invitation for any debates. I've just forgot that tone of voice does not transmit over the net. That's about it.
No worries, my reaction was somewhat of a knee jerk as well. I feel alienated from other people on the internet because communication using only type is too limiting XD

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I've had a constant lifelong sense of alienation. I was alienated in school, I'm alienated at work, and I'm alienated socially. I'm also a big fan of the US Libertarian Party, so I'm alienated politically as well. My parents accuse me of being *gasp* a Republican sometimes. I have friends, but I don't like being around most of them. I don't drink, so that excludes me from most groups and parties. I don't like sports, probably because I don't drink. Oh, and no girlfriends or romantic interactions EVER. I don't have health insurance because I can't work full time, and even if I did, I'm on minimum wage, so I wouldn't be able to afford it. My parents are my only real friends, but they really can't do anything to make the situation less shitty, other than to provide food and housing, which I appreciate greatly - so I guess I could be more alienated if I wanted to be.

Danlian

Aug 5, 2009
Before I came out I felt alienated because no one really knew anything personal about me. Now, however, I generally feel comfortable and like I fit in.

Leopard

Jul 6, 2010
All the freaking time. Mostly because people can't "handle" me being superior to them on every level. :)

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
Also; flarple gleep flarp.
What did you just call my mother? She was a saint!

Anyway, yes, in a way. I just can't seem to relate to most people at my school, they just don't seem to care about the things I do.