Poll: Do you feel EA will do the Star Wars franchise justice?

AITH

Apr 10, 2013
This may be a loaded question if you feel LucasArts never really did. I was reading further into the death of LA after Disney's acquisition of the franchise and saw this on wikipedia

"Development of games based on the Star Wars license will be handled both by Disney Interactive Studios for the casual gaming market, and by Electronic Arts, through an exclusive license, for the core gaming market."

I'm not sure what that really means for DIS but I'm taking this to mean EA will be handling any future titles that may hold my interest.

Personally, I was looking forward to Level 1313. Looked like a Mass Effect style game with galaxy free roam, having a ship, etc. in the SW universe but now that dream is dead. Either way, I'm still waiting for a legit SW gaming experience. KOTOR 1/2 are probably my favorites RPG and plot-wise but the combat leaves much to be desired and the graphics are fairly dated at this point. Jedi Outcast/Academy is probably my favorite gameplay-wise but it's still way too hack-and-slashy for me along with a completely linear narrative.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
No, I don't trust EA with the SW License.
Hell, when I heard that Dice was making the next Battlefront was being made by DICE, I signed off the idea.
What's going to happen is that EA is going to make it another COD Clone but with SW Characters, bet good money on it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AITH said:
This may be a loaded question if you feel LucasArts never really did.
That's pretty much my thoughts.

It's been nigh on a decade since LucasArts actually did anything worth mentioning with the franchise. Eight years since they did anything really worth playing, depending on your feelings about The Force Unleashed.

Of course, this website is still about 98% anti-EA, so I'm sure the vast majority of responses and poll votes will disregard the fact that LucasArts has been Jabba the Publisher ever since Battlefront 2 and vote against EA because EA.

Personally, I'm more curious about whatever they'll do with Star Wars than I have been about LucasArts in the last five years, so yeah, bring it. Just so long as they don't turn another franchise into an MMO.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I trust EA with franchises, I don't want to seem the devil's advocate but I really like them as a company. Also last time I checked EA were publishers so you'll have to question the developers regarding the individual games, but regarding the actual license I don't think it'll be milked too hard. I think this because EA are really pushing their mobile gaming at the moment, and EA don't own the rights to make a Star Wars mobile game which still belongs to Disney (I believe) so they won't overuse it in my opinion.
EDIT: I may just add that I'm not in any way a Star Wars fan, although I enjoyed Battlefront 1 and The Force Unleashed.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
I must say that i kissed the Star Wars franchise goodbye when I heared that Disney had dumped it in EA's lap.

Remember Knights of the Old Republic?

Yeah, I cannot forget either. So much potential and they had to try to be like World of Warcraft.
It's a no-brainer that Battlefront is going to be like a CoD Clone, just like Diablo1099 wrote. Or that 1313 (if they even chose to produce it) will be a copy of Uncharted. And... oh, there will have to be social aspects. And lots of multiplayer!

And then there's Origin.

Nah.
There will be no more Star Wars games for me.

Excuse me now while I stand in that corner over there to cry in frustration and bang my head against the wall for a little.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
In this day and age of copy/paste shooters? No. Not a chance. Not unless they outsource development to an outside studio like Obsidian or CD Project.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Yes I do, but I figure people will latch onto one of the negative things they do (instead of the game as a whole) and judge the whole thing based on that.

Because people like to hate EA and give other companies a bit of a free pass for the same shit :)

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I heard EA made an absolute parody of Plants VS Zombies except they're serious. All the plants you need to beat the game are DLC.

So they ruined something as good as Plants VS Zombies. Star wars cant be any better.

Murderiser

Jun 14, 2010
Well, they have the same people that make Battlefield (DICE) making the next Battlefront game. Seeing as BFront was a copy of BField with a Star Wars skin, they can't really fail to succeed. If they pull off making SWBF3 awesome then I will instantly conclude that they have done a better job than Lucas Arts (Which canned it for no particular reason).

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
As much as I dislike EA there's a pretty good chance we won't get utter crap like Star Wars Kinect or Force Unleashed 2.

We'll just get mediocre stuff with too much DLC

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I'm gonna go with the "Same as Lucasarts" option. There will be several highlights, but overall they will mostly be mediocre. Assuming DICE can pull off Battlefront 3 with decent enough quality, Star Wars fans will be as happy as they ever were.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
before Lucasarts was shut down it was lucasarts years since lucus arts made a good star wars game. The game they were working on could have changed that but who knows what would have happened.

whether EA/DICE could do better has yet to be seen. If I were to guess about then I would say it will be about the same as lucasarts. An occasional good or decent star wars game with along with a bunch of mediocre or bad ones. hopefully I am wrong and they do a good job at making good star wars games.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No, I haven't been interested in any of their games for a good while now. There's no way I could expect an electronic art piece but I am a little curious to see how Mirrors Edge 2 will turn out.

Demon ID said:
Yes I do, but I figure people will latch onto one of the negative things they do (instead of the game as a whole) and judge the whole thing based on that.

Because people like to hate EA and give other companies a bit of a free pass for the same shit :)
There is always one. Lets just generalise the people we disagree with as morons instead of actually listening what everyone has to say.

You know it's really easy both ways don't you?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I don't trust EA with anything. No series or IP is safe when subjected to those money-grubbing bastards intend on reaching the widest audience in the shortest development time and with the maximum after-sale revenue.

Then again, it isn't as if SW has had an unblemished run so far. At least the fans will be ready.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Nazulu said:
No, I haven't been interested in any of their games for a good while now. There's no way I could expect an electronic art piece but I am a little curious to see how Mirrors Edge 2 will turn out.

Demon ID said:

There is always one. Lets just generalise the people we disagree with as morons instead of actually listening what everyone has to say.

You know it's really easy both ways don't you?
Morons? Stop putting words in my mouth please. It's human nature, we are all guilty of it and right now many people aim their anger towards EA. They won't make nearly as bad a game as some will make out. Just like the Halo series isn't the worst thing in the world, just like the Mass Effect 3 ending while bad doesn't make the entire game worthless and just like Call of Duty isn't exclusivly played by angry 10 year olds.

But yeah, lets just assume everything EA touch is a piece of shit that will doom humanity, thats more objective and not moronic at all. I'm sorry for being the only one who thinks people overeact to EA. Oops, I'll get back in line. Can't be having those pesky independent thoughts now can we.

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
Personally, I feel that while the Base game of Battlefront 3 will be good, and that DICE could make a cool large-scale shooter out of it, I'm afraid EA will try to milk it dry with many DLCs

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
It's been nigh on a decade since LucasArts actually did anything worth mentioning with the franchise. Eight years since they did anything really worth playing, depending on your feelings about The Force Unleashed.
Where does "It was fun for an hour, but then I got bored playing around with Force powers and looked at the game itself and found it lacking?"

In any event, Star Wars is a series that seems like it should be easy to do, but so many people fail. I don't think it needs to be done "justice" like it's some grand exquisite piece of work, but it'd be nice to see games done well. At this point, I'd settle for "good enough."

...Though what I really want is another Rogue Squadron game, but that's neither here nor there.

So...Faith in EA? Not really, but it's less about them and more about the overall trend of games tied to Star Wars. There are good ones, sure.