Poll: Do you hate Quick Time Events?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Hate them!

We put up with them in the 80s with Dragons Lair because it was the only game that looked like a cartoon (and even with that the directions didn't flash over the scene you were trying to watch) and the controls consisted of one stick and one button.

If in an age where you have about a dozen buttons and a couple of sticks on your average controller (not to mention motion controls on most systems) any programmer who still uses QTEs is just a lazy prick who doesn't want to bother giving us intuitive controls.

monkyvirus

Jan 3, 2009
I think QTEs can be pretty cool (they can have a brilliant cinematic quality a lot of the time). Though to be fair that same quality can just be achieved be a very immersive and good game

for the record I though Resi 4 handled them pretty well and I think they can be a good idea, its just half the time they're lazy and so inevitably rubbish

BigHardcore

Apr 2, 2009
I'm generally against QTE, however, the best use of them that I've seen, (INHO), is in Legends of WrestleMania. They seem to have more of a purpose than in other games, in that they want you to recreate certain aspects of matches from the past.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
OHHHHH, I HATE THEM! especially when it changes buttons, like if it's "x" one time but the next time it's "b" or you have to push 2 buttons at once like LT & RT. OR even better, a combination of the 2! QTE can burn in hell! Yahtzee was right!

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Well I did quite enjoy Quick Time Event Hero [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_prophecy] so I guess I'm voting yes.

I don't think its quick time events themselves that people hate, but rather how they are implemented (or where they're implemented).

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Depends on how they do it. During a game of God of war at the end of an epic boss fight, I don't want to end it with a pathetic light attack; this is were QTEs come in, there just something to finish of something in a cool way which you can't do yourself.

Aristol

Mar 19, 2009
After playing through the demo for Ninja Blade I have to say I hate the damn things. Half of the freaking demo was a QTE broken up by small pieces of "gameplay". The other half was a boss fight that ended, in what you may have guessed, a QTE. It was one of those really annoying ones where if you don't do it perfectly the boss gains some energy back. Then you go back to beating on him to get another chance to try again or throw the disc at a wall in frustration.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
Artemis923 said:
It depends on the game, on the event, and on the presentation.

Good examples: God of War's br00tal boss finishers, Resident Evil 4's Krauser fight

Bad examples: Stuff like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance where it neither fits nor belongs.
This. I have to say, most of my quick-time event experience has been positive. RE4 and God of War were two games that were pretty awesome, even with (and especially with, in GoW's case) QTEs. Not seen many of them outside of that, though. I don't play many action oriented games, and I don't think many turn-based ones have QTEs...

Taniquel

Dec 9, 2008
I only hate them when you cannot skip them. I appreciate watching them the first time through a game, but I do not want to have to watch that 10 minute cut scene ever again! I am especially annoyed with the pseudo cut scenes in Tales of Vesperia right now. You have to press X after each line in the dialog to keep it going. This really cramps my style of refilling the beverage during the obvious "Where should we go next?" discussions that are inevitable in a JRPG. ::grrrr::

UpcountryGecko

Oct 19, 2008
When the are done well then quick time events can enhance the experience, however the majority of games that use it fail horribly.

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
I don't mind them unless they're used to replace something or simply used too much.
I would say they ruined the force unleaashed but I'm a succer for the force

Myoukochou

Black Butterfly
Apr 1, 2009
Yes. Very yes.

It was old when Dragon's Lair did it in 1983. (I love that I'm not the first person to mention this, either.)

It's like they couldn't be bothered to commit to an actual cutscene with engrossing story that sets the background for a compelling gameplay experience that you actually care about — and felt obliged to simply duct-tape some emergency "interactivity" in there in the form of a quick-time event, so they can still call it a game.

It's so cute that they think they fulfil that obligation by coercing you to (as Yahtzee so succinctly puts it) "press X to not die", which is, in my opinion, not a particularly fulfilling or entertaining game mechanic.

LegsyWegsy

Jan 31, 2008
Madworlds QTE's were okay, since, unless it was a power struggle, you couldnt fail, and it was awesome

darkcow55

Mar 23, 2009
Dragon's Lair was cool.... nearly 30 years ago now.....

If button mashing is part of the gameplay, then fine, when it is "tap buttons during this cutscene" then no. It is stupid.

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
I used to hate them, until I played Fahrenheit.

That game turned QTE into awesome.

Devilpapaya

Apr 3, 2009
You can't honestly say to me that you dislike ALL of the Warioware games (I know, some are better than others), and don't tell me that those are not just massive libraries of QTEs.

IMHO, the ultimate in QTE technology.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Even when they are done well I could do without them. If I wanted to play simon says I'd pick one up for $20 at Target.

Quistnix said:
I used to hate them, until I played Fahrenheit.

That game turned QTE into awesome.
seriously? That game just made me hate them even more (which I didn't think was possible)