Poll: Do you judge people based on their avatar?

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
Ranorak said:
I wonder how one would judge me based on my avatar, nickname and title alone.

So shoot, gimme your best stereotype.
Ranorak, lover of things epic, personafied by a ball of arcing power. A thane of the escapist boards.

MaoExE

Jun 3, 2011
Eggsnham said:
I try not to.

Mostly because my avatars tend to be so bizarre.
Really? I don't usually see bizza... Well, that changes that. A goat, splitting into a goat.

PARADOX?!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
xmbts said:
Doesn't seem like there's much to tell from it, at least not enough to judge somebody's personality.
This. You can hazard a guess but there is no way of telling who someone is just because of an image or series of images.

ShockValue said:
[sup] I really hope we don't see a bunch of similar threads now :/ Next thing you know we'll have one asking about usernames, then post counts then another about join dates. But of course it's not like that has ever happened on here :p [/sup]
I wouldn't put it past this site.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
If someone has an ugly, low-quality, or poorly made avatar or one that isn't square, I usually subconsciously assume that they'll have bad grammar, spelling, and probably sound like a thirteen year old. This comes from the experience of reading fanfiction on LiveJournal - userpics were a dead giveaway to fic quality.

What is actually in the avatar is superfluous. I just figure if they don't put any effort or thought or attempts at wit into the pic, they won't put any effort or thought or attempts at wit into anything else.

MaoExE

Jun 3, 2011
bdcjacko said:
I am 98% sure I inspired this topic. And yes, I judge people by their avatar.
5 years late, but yeah you totally inspired this with your post in "Do you judge people by their badges"

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
IN THEORY avatars are expressive. There's a lot you can tell about a person based on they're avatar alone, and it coupled with their posts can be VERY illuminating.

byterunner

Oct 14, 2011
Yes. Always.

I have looked at all of your avatars and have determined that you are all assholes.

Good day

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Mortis Nuncius said:
Brutal Peanut said:
No. Wait...do people do that? Are you implying someone is judging me right now based on my forum avatar?! *fetal position*
*points and gives glare of eternal judgement*
Oh! It burns!

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Nope, I care more about what he/she writes. Depending on what is written, then I look at the avatar. Like this:

vrbtny said:
Judge me all you like. I can still beat you a dance-off!
Dance-off... Holy crap! Your avatar dances!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Not as much, no. I may think it's interesting, or amusing, or bizarre, or a reference I don't get, but on the whole I don't consider them. It's like looking at someone's badges. "Oooh, those are cool. Wonder why they chose those. Oh well, guess I'll never know." I generally assume the person found it amazing, unbelievable, funny, representative of their lifelong passions, or disturbingly sexy, and felt it a great way to display themselves.

Or, they're all colluding to demolish the atmosphere of the day, like when so many people changed their avatars to that .gif of Cosby Gaga, or the Jim Gaga, or when the mods played a prank and everyone got hit with Biebvirus. Those were interesting days.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Only two people on this forum have ever been judged by me based solely on their avatar. Saelune, because that furry avatar is giving me the googly-eyes and it creeps me out, and that one guy who's name I can't recall but his avatar is Sonic the Hedgehog with Kirby bursting out of his eyes. It's like the god damn Ring video: as I watch it, mesmerized, it destroys my sanity. Euuuuuuuuuggghhghgh.

But that's it. Only those two have avatar's creepy enough for me to dislike them right off the bat. It's nothing personal.

Eggsnham said:
I try not to.

Mostly because my avatars tend to be so bizarre.
OH MY GOD, AND YOURS TOO. What the fuck, man?! I though the Sonic/Kirby one was freaky but yours is one constant mesmerizing mindfuck. Jeez! I have to cover it with my hand to focus enough to get it off my screen!

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Judge? No, unless it's something incredibly tastless or specifically offensive.
I do however remember people by their avatars since our names are so damn SMALL

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
For the most part no. I don't even look sometimes.

However I voted yes, unintentionally because.. there is one avatar I just can't help but judge poorly. The smoking baby gif. I can't stand that avatar and its been used by a few people I couldn't stand in the past on other forums, so when I see it now I pretty much skip over the post by habit.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
nbamaniac said:
Avatar? What avatar?!!! Madness!
*just hears the familiar laughter over and over and over*

Water source? Why that looks like a challenge!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I try not to, but I know I'll do. I'm particularly unkeen on Trollface avatars, but pony ones I'm sure have an effect also. The bright colours get to me, I guess.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Actually I remember there being a thread like this that said that everyone in some way judges other people's avatar, of corse this could be completely unintentional. It's like a first impression when you meet someone in real life