Poll: Do you like dubstep?

Dec 27, 2010
To be honest, I don't give a f*ck about any music, but especially this sort of sh*t. Some songs might be catchy and get stuck in my head, but that's simply not possible with this genre.

basedg0d_a0s

Jul 25, 2011
i listened to some songs by mt eden and they were pretty cool. not a huge fan of dubstep though, but i like a few songs that are considered dubstep.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Well I first have to post this one ... If you don't know beardyman, everything you hear in the vid he makes with his voice, he is a beatboxer.

I am trying to find a bit where he comments on dubstep but I can't find it. He says all you need to create dubstep is "wubwubwubs" and "yeahyeahyeahs".

On topic. Unless it's made by beardyman, I can't stand it. I only like his 'cos it's more musically made than some fecker sat at a computer messing with nobs.

I could make dubstep on my PS1 with a game called "music".

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Dubstep is just like rap, there's a good idea behind it but can't stand on it's own. Just plain dubstep is shit, but if you don't use it on it's own and combine it with other musical elements it's better. Like that one Korn song.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I can't really say I like it, it's more like this morbid fascination I have with it. Sometimes I can't help but listen to it while thinking "Why am I listening to this?!"
I'm listening to this Duke Nukem song and I'm thinking the same thing

EDIT: Also the song in the OP is nice too, minus the OHH MAHH GAWD and the terrible nonsense that involves people singing.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I do, though Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites is fucking terrible

most dubstep "artists" overuse WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB and ruin an otherwise good track

satanslawer123

Aug 6, 2009
hell no, i hate the stuff, but if dont kill me for hating it if it's what you like then go listen to it about a universe away from me please and thank you.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Christ, you suck at writing OP's.

But yeah, I've been really getting into dubstep over the last week or so. Possibly to do with the influx of psychoactive substances.
Downlink and Datsik are currently on the menu, but this thread has expanded my repertoire.
I've always loved sinister bass, along with electronic music. Beats me how it took so long to find dubstep..

Darksqueee

Apr 21, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
wooty said:
Sounds like someone attempting to start a car in the cold weather.
Quite an excellent description, I think.

Very unpleasant to the ear. It feels more like noise for noise's sake and less like anything artistic.

Darksqueee said:
Not at all. WUBWUBWUBs REALLY make me not want to listen to music.

I do, however, enjoy one of the genres that was formed FROM Dubstep, which is glitchstep/hop. The lack of WUBs makes it INFINITELY more enjoyable.

Here's a sample. Enjoy it.

You know, that wasn't bad.
I know my good music, sir. And I'm glad you like it. edIT is actually a REALLY nice guy. Check out Kraddy as well, if you get the chance.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Not really, but I do love the 16-bit remix of Noisia's Machine Gun.

chocolatekake

Dec 22, 2010
Dubstep is just really boring, I think. Everyone seems to use the EXACT same bass. Synth, rhythm, everything. And that whole "wubwub" thing might be alright if it wasn't used so damn much. But as it stands, I have not heard a good dubstep song yet. Even the ones that I might otherwise like are ruined by the vast amount of music that uses all the same sounds and techniques. I like heavy bass, but not the kind of bass that is synonymous with dubstep music nowadays. I like more traditional bass sounds like a string bass or a bass guitar.

Although I can't really fault people for liking dubstep, because I like stuff that's just as widespread or "speaker abusive".

Sinketi

That's the joke.
Oct 29, 2008
All of my friendship group got into dub about three years ago, and there are still some tunes that I think are pure genius and up there with other genre-forming music (Mr Postman by Cragga and Dirty Picture by Cookie Monsta are two that spring to mind), but many points brought up here stand true. There is a lot of the same old noises and loops that get boring - but almost any style of music has its repetitiveness and copycat artists. The thing that is both Dubstep's selling point and downfall is that anyone can make a track and put it on YouTube.

Personally, I still love a good tune (just recently Flux Pavillion did a mix of Louder by DJ Fresh on the EP and it was fantastic), but in order to sustain originality it must adapt and explore new areas...

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
wooty said:
Sounds like someone attempting to start a car in the cold weather.

Nope, poor
That is the best thing I've heard all day. I personally like dubstep, but your description made me laugh.

Aerophyre

Mar 11, 2009
Well thanks to this thread I now have like 20 tabs open I need to listen to once my girl wakes up.

I personally LOVE dubstep, particularly the hard heavy stuff (the Korn song was what initially got it on my radar).

I will however note that, possibly because dubstep has exploded in popularity recently and possibly because, much like cooking or driving, dubstep is easy to do but hard to do well, there are literally thousands of songs and remixes out there that are SHIT. Absolute unfiltered rancid horse shit that I have to dig through on a daily basis just to find one decent freaking song!

I believe that if you don't already profoundly appreciate techno and you don't have an open mind about music don't even TRY dubstep cause you will walk away confused and angry.

That being said, for the lovers of dubstep out there I have some awesome indie hipster shit I found on soundcloud that you will eat up. I present: ToNks

there's a link to his soundcloud page off that vids main page. I highly recommend checking it out.