Poll: Do you like Moviebob's material?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I didn't like him at first because he came across as too provocative for the sake of it. I felt that less after seeing some more of his work, and after seeing him on the Escapist Expo videos I find it more easier to understand him now that I have a more human connection (seeing his personality for real and what he looks like, rather than a voice from my speakers).

That said, I still very rarely actually agree with him, although I find some of his videos interesting.

The only real criticisms I'd have of him would apply to a lot of the content on the Escapist. That the current topic is almost treated with the same level of objectivity as the average tabloid's front page.

Yosharian said:
Yes, I know what a forum is. No, that doesn't make this thread any more worthy of discussion.
The fact that you chose to reply twice in it despite nobody forcing you to read it or reply would beg to differ.

If you don't like a discussion, then you are free to not become involved. It is not your place to tell other people what they can and cannot, or should and should not discuss.

Posting to say that a topic is not worth discussing would come under low content posting seeing as it doesn't actually contribute to it.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Wow, 60 days since I've seen one of these "Do you like or dislike Movie bob" thread. At one point, they were so regular you can almost set your watch to them. I was wondering when somebody was going to get upset about his opinion of something yet again.

For the record, no I've never been tired of Bob's opinions because I do it right. I never take it personally because I know he's entitled to it as much as I am mine. I listen to his opinion, check how it gauges with mine of the subject and evaluate. If they mesh, they mesh. If they don't, they don't.

If you are sitting there crying because he calls one of your sacred cows a useless and boring argument, you are doing it wrong. The correct answer is saying "Nice to know that he sees no use out of 'Han firing first' argument so I won't bring it up with him."

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I find him good when he's not putting forth his opinion on the game/movie community he comes off as insulting to many times and seems to have no respect for deferring opinions, he also contradicts himself every so often but he is very knowledgeable on geek history and is fairly well spoken so any time he does comics are weird are any other sum up of movie/tv/comics he is a good watch.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Nimzabaat said:
No. He used to be a lot more critical of movies. Now everything is awesome and I can't trust his opinion anymore. He's losing his credibility and there's so few "critics" that have any credibility already.
In the last 16 episodes, he liked 5 movies, hated 5 and was in the middle on 6 of them. I am not detecting a loss of "credibility" in that output.

Do you see him lose credibility simply because his opinion of product no longer gels with yours? That's not a loss of credibility. That's merely his opinions not matching up with yours.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
I didn't like the '50 most boring' article to the point where I was moved to write negative feedback on it, but most of the time I find Moviebob really interesting, especially when he's telling me that SOMETHING.... IS... WEIRD! I love The Big Picture especially, but Intermission and Escape are usually pretty great too.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I haven't watched any of his videos in like 8 months, so I can't really say anything about this supposed "new direction", but I will say that the reason I stopped following him was because he had simply lost his appeal. Most of all I couldn't stand his attitude, mostly when it came to things/people he didn't like and I don't think that will change any time soon.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I don't really see any difference betweeen MovieBob now and Moviebob a year ago. He's always had strong opinions, a big ego and sometimes insightful observations on nerd culture.

I didn't even know that there has been an uproar against his laatest column, but maybe that's because I don't frequent this site as much as I used to.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Yes, I like what he does. I often disagree with his opinions (Metroid Other M for instance), but I find what he does interesting and insightful, and when he talks about what he knows, it's really good. I feel confident enough in my tastes that I don't have a problem watching someone vocally advocating an opinion I don't agree with, I think people are just too sensitive to different opinions.

Yes, he sometimes gets stuck repeating quips about specific things (like The Expendables, the ME3 ending, etc), but that's mostly ok.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I say yes. The man deserves to have an opinion, and he has been given a voice here. You may not like it sometimes but he's well within his rights to rag on, complain about, comment on or just generally opine about whatever.
Yes, he's a film buff and in the right age group (from what I can tell) to also be a gamer thats been around. It gives him a wealth of experience and knowledge to draw his opinions from.
And yes you all have rights to complain about him too.
But are you complaining because you disagree, or because he tickled a raw nerve? And are you doing a gut reaction or are you thinking your response through?
Also, I tend to enjoy Bob's work, even if I don't agree with him. It does get me to think, to see how someone else sees things and I can file that away for future reference. A good opinion, one that isn't just dismissal but has reason behind it and not malicious is valid even if it disagrees with my own.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I like what He does on movies and the history of Film, but his opinions on gaming are kinda shit

I mean, to each his own, your opinion is okay no matter what and all that stuff, but his game overthinker stuff just shows he has no idea whats-what when it comes to gaming.

So, For what he does on THIS site, chalk me up for a like because he sticks to Film.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
The only issue I have with Bob is constantly bringing back up his views of previously reviewed material, especially when it's controversial. Referring to something as universally reviled as Green Lantern is a safe bet, and even the constant Expendables comparisons didn't bother me so much personally... but this current stretch of Dark Knight Rises put-downs is wearing thin. It received great reviews by most critics, earned top marks from viewers, and made a bundle of money. I thought Tom Hardy as Bane rivaled Heath Ledger's Joker, and I've seen it mentioned across several forums that Tom Hardy acts better with his eyebrows than most other people act with their entire bodies.

But that's really the only problem I have with Bob. His reviews are an effective blend of information and entertainment, and if he's more biased than other critics, at least he has the decency to admit it. After all, he's a feature on The Escapist, not a newspaper.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I kinda enjoy his movie reviews, but I generally hate his opinion pieces. He just comes off as a standard run of the mill internet troll, not much different than you or I, with no more intelligent of views; the only difference is he has a platform to vent his views loudly and a complex to encourage him.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Yes I do.

I maybe only agree with his opinion in Escape to the Movies about 2/3 of the time, but I still find him to be the most entertaining movie reviewer that I watch on a regular basis. As for Big Picture and Intermission, well, some of his jokes are a little flat and I know fuck all about comics and comparatively little about television so I often don't care much when something is dedicated to those two subjects but otherwise I really do like his stuff. I'm also very thankful that he explains the contexts of his arguments about comics and TV so that people like myself can understand what the problem is, where he's coming from, and where the solutions may lie. Though I like Yahtzee, Jim, and the guys and gals from LRR (and Cory and Grey, and the Escapist staff, and Ginx, and you idjits who populate the forums...), it's MovieBob that has kept me a regular on this site for so long.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I've only ever seen his work on the escapist, so that's all I can comment on.
I came to the escapist for Yahtzee, stayed longer for MovieBob and continue to stay for the forums.
I don't always agree with MB, but I almost always find his input/perspective valuable.
He talks about a lot of things that I love, and brings things that I had not known of to my attention.
He does sometimes keep harping on about pet peeves too often, but in his position I'd probably would too.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I don't think he changed, he's just letting his stronger(and more provocative) opinions go loose. I wish he could just deal with the fact that people have different opinions rather than point to them as "boring", but that's what he believes, and when you give the guy a soap box, that's what he's going to voice.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I like his Big Picture episodes, I find them informative and can believe he knows what hes talking about and I watch his movie reviews more to learn about the basic premise of the movie rather than listen to his opinion because it differs greatly from mine.

Many a time he has said a certain actor will be known as the best of the year for their performance or some movie will be the best in its genre for the year and that's simply not the case.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I like his stuff. I don't always agree with him, but he's amusing to me. If you don't like him, don't watch him, or let him know what you don't like. Doesn't mean he'll listen or change to suit any 1 person's tastes.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Most of the time I think he brings up some poignant shit. Sometimes he pulls that shit right out of his ass (some puns deserve life) and obviously you question it. Like anyone, you take what they say and use some critical thinkings, and if it's bueno with you, than yay! If it's mal, than booo.

Regardless, one thing about him that I dig is the fact that he isn't afraid to call out trendy opinions (and even the counter-trendy opinion). He often is just trying to be logical. So yeah, overall he is on point.