Poll: Do you like Moviebob's material?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I grew to like him after his piece on Bayonetta's character. But to be honest, I have not watched his videos lately, but probably will after posting this comment.

Unnamedenemy

Nov 30, 2010
Korskarn said:
The dislike of Dark Knight Rises is really starting to get annoying. To be specific, I don't have a problem with the fact MovieBob didn't like it - everyone has different tastes after all - but almost every 2nd episode there's a comment about how much he didn't like it.

When he mentions "Some movies this year were great, some not so great..." you can guarantee one of the stills we be of Rises. Similarly this week when talking about great movie villains he makes the point of explicitly kicking Bane out of the Pantheon - a Pantheon, I might add, that includes the forgettable Red Skull and... someone... who I'm pretty sure half the viewers don't even know who it is.

Okay, you don't like Rises. We get it. But you are absolutely in the minority in your hatred (dislike is one thing, but this is... something else), and the fact that you feel the need to continually state how much you hate it in reviews and essays on topics completely unrelated to Rises is REALLY starting to grate.
First, the Red Skull was awesome. Second, Bane really wasn't a very good villain thanks to that stupid twist near the end, which basically turned him from a mastermind into someone else's henchman. Third, he's mentioned Rises maybe 3 times since his review. Fourth, did you actually see his review? He recommended it and said it was good, but that he couldn't help but be disappointed by it due to the plot holes and lack of depth compared to it's predecessor.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Dr Jones said:
F*** me, can anyone actually tell me about this supposed new direction?
I'd kind of like to know too. By a neat little coincidence, I've been watching his older videos, and he used to be a lot more confrontational than he is now; his review of 2012 actually suggested people should commit suicide for the sake of eugenics (which I am not ragging on him for because it was a joke and it made me laugh). As best I can tell--and I really hope I'm wrong about this, but it is the feeling I get nevertheless--people stopped liking him around the same time he stopped including glamor pics of hot actresses with vaguely creepy/stalkerish captions in his videos and started talking about feminism in positive terms.

In all fairness, I should probably add that I am suspicious of my conclusions here: I very well might be projecting onto this discussion some of the extremely woman-unfriendly conversations I've read in other subforums around here.

Though in further fairness, there is at least one instance of the not-word "feminazi" in this thread, so yeah.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, sure I like MovieBob's material. We don't have very similar tastes in movies and I can't base my viewing choices on his recommendations, but I respect that he justifies his opinions and he increases my understanding of film as a medium.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
His opinions are his opinions, and if I don't agree with them, I generally still like his material even though I may not agree...which seems to be a bit of an issue with many of an escapists of late. In the end, who cares what he says? Getting mad at someone you are probably never going to meet just because he is "telling you to get over it" is a waist of time. If I see something like that, I just shrug, determine he is wrong, and be on my merry way, probably likely to watch his videos next week unless for some magical reason he appears out of my screen, slaps me and tells me I am wrong about what he thinks. Then I wouldn't watch his videos...more out of fear that he would appear from my screen again...ya... xD

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
It's funny. I watch MovieBob's movie reviews. Whenever he likes a movie, I'm not going to watch it. If he seriously dislikes a movie, that means there's a good chance I'll like it. With an exception every now and then.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
erttheking said:
I remember in one of the Jimquisition videos, he once saw a poll in the threads that he paid attention to in order to get feedback on how he was doing, and considering the recent uproar around Moviebob's "The Most 50 Boring Opinions in Geek Culture" list, I thought that now would be a good time to take stock on Moviebob and the material he puts out.

It's a rather simple question really, do you like him and his material?

EDIT: Edited the OP to make it more clear.
I've been on these forums for an insane amount of time. To be honest MovieBob hasn't changed all that much, nore have my opinions of him. Simply put, he's an amazing guru of geek culture, with some rather extreme political views that he can't help but also use his productions for. That said I'm not going to scorn all the things he does right, and learning from him, just because we're such political opposites, although I might occasionally write essays in response to what he says (which are promptly ignored).

Simply put with the crap I get for sticking to my political guns on a forum where I'm probably the only one who swings even moderatly right, I'm not going to criticize someone for doing the same thing, even if it's in the opposite direction. Bob is basically so far left at times that he makes even other liberals say "WTF".

Something I will point out though is that Bob is not a reviewer, he's a critic, and has gone out of his way to make that distinction, as has Yahtzee. It's something to keep in mind when watching his stuff, there isn't any real pretension of impartiality here. Truthfully I do kind of wish we had more full time impartial reviewers in gaming, but those that try inevitably wind up becoming critics as well. Being a reviewer and remaining true to it without becoming a critic is rough... but that's irrelevent to Bob because I don't think he ever claimed any kind of impartiality in analysis, but simply to be sharing his opinion via a platform.

I'll also add that I have in the past suggested that The Escapist limit Bob from some of his stunts (this goes back years) they pretty much said 'no'. I've seen similar things like this come and go from others as well, albiet a little less direct than I was. The point is that contreversy and strong reactions is not new to Bob, it's been like this for a long time, and probably won't change.

One final thing I'll throw out there too, is that Bob's way of doing things gets attention, which generates traffic/hits which is at the end of the day what he's trying to do. I doubt a lot of the stuff he does is actually as off the cuff as it appears at times, Bob seems to be aware of the ebb and flow of geek culture to the point where I'd imagine he has a pretty good idea of what kind of reaction he's going to get when he does specific things. I'd guess that when he does things like kind of slams "Bane" in a "best villains of 2012" line up, he knows "Bane" is popular and that people are going to talk about it, I mean heck, it's hard to miss as guys like Jim Sterling on the same site have even done schticks dressing up like the guy for laughs. By getting people to talk about what he did though he's generating attention, traffic in response to his video, and hits. He did it while being on topic, and just carefully insterting an opinion into his video.... and honestly, there is nothing wrong with it, if you enjoy talking about Bane (to agree with Bob, or defend the character in the movie) he just gave you another excuse... big deal. That's just the most recent example of a technique he seems to have been using for years now to great effect, and it works, people tune in, and he's been a cornerstone of The Escapist for pretty much forever, while other features have come and gone.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I find the Movie Bob stuff to be insightful and entertaining. He really sounds like he knows his stuff when it come to comics and films. But man whenever he opens his mouth about video games, he is so whiny, apolegetic, pretentious, condescending, hypocratical and some other mean words.

Stick to movies Bob and pray Miyamoto enters the film business. Leave video games to fratboys.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
malestrithe said:
Nimzabaat said:
No. He used to be a lot more critical of movies. Now everything is awesome and I can't trust his opinion anymore. He's losing his credibility and there's so few "critics" that have any credibility already.
In the last 16 episodes, he liked 5 movies, hated 5 and was in the middle on 6 of them. I am not detecting a loss of "credibility" in that output.

Do you see him lose credibility simply because his opinion of product no longer gels with yours? That's not a loss of credibility. That's merely his opinions not matching up with yours.
Out of the last 10 he recommended 10. One of them was Twilight. Set, spike and point.
Your point would make sense if he was saying that "Twilight is a good movie" not "See this movie because of how insane it is at the end and how terrible it is."

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I like him. He's wrong about things about half the time, but he's consistently entertaining.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
He's very opinionated, which in itself is not a bad thing, but he often comes off as super elitist.

I wouldn't mind that by itself, but he tends to give glowing reviews to movies that were little more than horse shit. He's definitely a smart guy, but he needs to take it a little easy on some of his opinions. Not every movie needs to be a work of art. Some summer blockbusters are just that... summer blockbusters. And it doesn't seem like he can't just not like something. He feels the need to remind us every other episode on his series about how bad the movies he didn't like were.

Even if you agree with him, that gets really fucking old, really fast. I stopped watching him a while ago, when I started to realize that I pretty much had the opposite opinion of almost everything he reviewed.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I not really into comics or movies but when I watch some of his videos they are pretty interesting. But when it comes to games... no, just no.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
When it comes to reviews, the guy is giving an opinion. I can disagree on it. I can take his suggestion. However, I don't act like it's the holy bible. His Big picture stuff gives good trivia and background on some obscure stuff. When he goes on "opinion mode" on certain subjects...I take the time to think it over. However, like his review, I won't mind the fact that he gives an opinion.

The only thing that bugs me his that he always dismiss the 90s. The only reason of why he does so is "I wasn't living the greatest years of my life back then". Fair enough, however, why does he continue doing so?

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
I was kinda OK with him, until the following:

- The Expendables (his utmost hate for it, and skewed stats he used to claim it did the best in the office).
- Scott Pilgrim (his utmost love for it, and skewed stats he used to claim it did the worst in the office without waiting a month).
- Splice Review (claimed to be a mind bender movie with non-cliche lookout, when it was none of that, the movie even pulled the cheap 'movie is something bigger trailer' underhanded marketing).
- Transformers (the way he keeps on worshiping the theme but hating Micheal Bay for it for the sake of forced satire is insane).

Other things include:
- Halo (everything he said was wrong, when a simple Wiki search was enough to teach him everything he needed to know).
- Sucker Punch (everything he was said was wrong again, when even the actors knew what was up in the interviews).
- Nostalgia (his love for everything old, and concertizing anything new as a fad also isn't very nice).
- Fanboysim (he put his nose in stuff/games that don't concern him, especially since he didn't experience said narrative, and tell people to 'grow up', yet he himself injects a good dose of fanboyism for the stuff he likes).
- 90's Sucked (I'm pretty sure every age sucks, just because you were younger and got laid more often in the late 80's, early 90's vs. the later 90's doesn't mean you can keep on touting that like a concept of proof).
-Verbal Diarrhea (half of his videos, especially stuff he doesn't like is filled with pointless chatter, almost like an episode from Family Guy, minus any hint of humor, Sucker Punch is a main example of this).

I'm honestly surprised with all the mistakes, sometimes even outright ignorance he displayed in the year 2012, a year where information is at the tip of your fingers, people still think he's voice is ample food for thought and good for discussion.
I'm also surprised that many good shows where let go on the Escapist in favor of critical-ignorance instead of critical-thinking. It almost feels like he sometimes recycles already told about statements of certain movies or games, instead of experiencing them himself, since his comments are generally broad, non-specific or have slight erranous understanding. Not to mention, any video he makes which doesn't have any controversy in it are the ones with a 'duh' statement or just for fun (Hercules and Twilight).
His also uses alot of 'Jade Trick' statements in his opinion, meaning he will say something, say it's his final point and that nothing will change that point and anything said after that won't be heard, essentially forcing a 'I win because I said so' argument followed by a childish 'also I have a shield, so back at you'.

All in all, I stopped watching him ever since Splice I think or maybe a little later, I'm seriously not amused, entertained nor thought anything from him, especially one who has so much personal baggage and how lets it fly off in his videos at his audience so often.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Yes, I like Bob.

I disagree with him on a few things (such as certain political/social views, movie and story opinions, emphasis on unimportant details, etc.) but the sign of a true lover of culture, particularly our 'geek' culture is the ability to have the debate and discussion about stuff in our culture, and Bob does a good job of that. Like Aristotle said: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Bob seems to be able to present his ideas and opinions in his way and I don't mind it so much. Plus, there's a lot of little factoids there too, so I'm not going to complain so much.

Of course, I do have agreements with Bob on quite a few things too, but I tend to enjoy listening to someone who I agree with about 50% of the time, otherwise I'll be either turned off that viewpoint or find it boring.

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
Bloody love Bob. Love the Big Picture and Escape to the Movies. Game overthinker I think hes a bit to obsessed with retro gaming, but different strokes for different folks and the show over all is of a good quality.

In fact I love him to the point where when I decided to make my own vlog I used TGO as a reference point on how to do things.

RookwoodX

May 15, 2011
I rarely agree with Bob on movies. I feel like he is a classic geek, whereas me and probably most of the people on this site are about 10-15 years younger, neogeeks if you will. We just don't appreciate the same things. But I still watch his stuff because it is entertaining and I do enjoy a different perspective.

That being said one of my pet peeves is people bitching about bitching. Don't do that again Bob. I will gladly listen to all those old tired arguments over someone arguing that people shouldn't have opinions.... popular opinions though they be.

jmiller1980

Sep 24, 2011
Always came across as the same knowledgeable individual to me. My biggest problem with Movie Bob is his stereotypical film-major-snobness. Like so many critics of movies, Bob seems to have forgotten what kind of movies that the normal man on the street seems to like.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I like all of his material that I've seen so far. Yes, he's very opinionated, and I don't always agree with him, but at least he's rather upfront about his biases, so I can usually tell when to take what he's saying with a grain of salt. Besides, even when I disagree with him, his videos still manage to be entertaining, and he often provides some interesting information.

Captcha: "Which one is biggest?" I would answered with something clever, but unfortunately, it only allowed me to answer from a drop-down menu of pre-selected options. It just feels like such a missed opportunity.