Poll: Do you like Scooby Doo?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I like the original show. I was never all that fond of like...A Pup Named Scooby Doo, and even as a kid I never really liked Scrappy Doo or any of the spin-off movies (like wasn't there one where Shaggy and Scooby were like camp counselors to monster children or something). Beyond that though, I enjoyed it just fine. I also remember being kinda fond of the guest star episodes with like the Harlem Globetrotters or...um...I can't remember any other examples, but I know they were there.

I haven't seen enough of any of the newer incarnations of Scooby Doo to pass judgment.

For what it's worth, apparently Carl Sagan was a big fan of Scooby Doo. He liked how the show was pretty pro-science, because it was never a supernatural occurrence. There was almost always a scientific explanation for everything.

While not specifically Scooby Doo, I also remember absolutely loving the episode of Johnny Bravo where he teamed up with mystery gang.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I've always loved Scooby Doo, both new series and old (old still ranks more highly though, in my opinion). Heck, I even enjoyed the two live-action Scooby Doo films. Scooby Doo is a very nostalgic cartoon for me, reminds me of when I was in primary school, I'd wake up at 3am just to watch all the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons they played on Boomerang (it was a Cartoon Network spin-off, where they played classic cartoons).

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I used to eat pop tarts and watch it every morning before school. I don't really want to watch another episode of it the rest of my life. I'm not a fan of things with laugh tracks that weren't filmed in front of live audiences, especially cartoons. Every damn episode was the same. It was some guy trying to scare people as part of some money making scheme. I just wanted it to be real just once, and then I saw 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo and was even more disappointed when the formula was broken.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
I think a good portion are going to say "liked it as a kid, not so much now." Kids like repetitive shits, so it's to be expected.
I don't think that's a kid thing. See: CSI, Law and Order, or most any prime time procedural.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I love that cartoon. It is about a stoner, a stoned dog, a geek, jock and beauty queen. What is not to like?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
DustyDrB said:
sextus the crazy said:
I think a good portion are going to say "liked it as a kid, not so much now." Kids like repetitive shits, so it's to be expected.
I don't think that's a kid thing. See: CSI, Law and Order, or most any prime time procedural.
true. Although I think kids like watching the exact same episode over and over again whereas older people just want comfortable formulae.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Honestly I was too young to watch the original series, so my first impression of Scooby Doo were the movies involving the Hex Girls and this:

Then yes, I do love the premise of the Mystery Inc.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Me... It was usually something I watched when nothing else was better on, way back when I had cable. As for the characters, Fred was a moron, Daphne was worse, Scooby was pretty cool, Shaggy was a great comic relief/double act with Scooby, and Velma was quite frankly, my favorite.

I thought she was cute, geeky, and quite frankly more attractive than Daphne in every way. Not to mention, she was the smartest of the bunch, and had common sense. Most of the time at least.

EPICGunner

Mar 26, 2011
I may not watch the show so much now but I still think it's a good show and one of the few things me and my brother can watch together without wanting to rip each other apart, and I love the live action movies.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
CODE-D said:
Leemaster777 said:
I like the new show
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc on cartoon network and hope its new season starts. It actually gives the characters character and has an overarching plot. Plus its actually funny.

I do like the old scooby but they are really dated.
I do like that art style. I really would like to get into it, but I was really turned of when I found out Velma and Shaggy were dating. Is it possible for there to be a show where no one wants to bone anyone?

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
It's just another mediocre old Saturday morning cartoon; I can't say I hate it, but nor was I ever really a fan. It's not completely unbearable to watch, I've seen much worse.

so.....neutral response.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I like Scooby-Doo and hate the movie. The whole premise of Scooby-Doo is built around secular reasoning. The monster should always be a man in a suit. Adults are going to try to lie and trick you. You have to overcome this via logic and reasoning.

Take Scooby and Shaggy they don't think rationally and react emotively, running away from the monsters, in a sense they are cowards. But in a world filled with paranormal this is actually a smart response.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I'm neutral towards it. I like the 75 minute movies and some of the variants, like 13 ghosts of scooby doo, a pup named scooby doo and what's new scooby doo. I'm not a fan of the rest nor any of the live action stuff.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
l like the character of Scooby Doo more than some of his clones (Jabberjaw, Speed-Buggy, etc) but I don't care too much for the show. I kind of like the new series but I'm not as into it as I am other reboots (like the sitcom-ified Looney Toons) There are certain episodes of the classic that I can watch more often that others. Once Scrappy is introduced the series just dies for me though. Either way, I like that show more than fucking Cat-Dog.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
My childhood was Scooby Doo.
I still have a life sized plushie of Scooby that my dad got me when I was sick as a kid.
I still watch the original show's episodes from time to time.
Loved the "straight-to-video" movies too. THEY HAD SOME CATCHY SONGS OKAY
Haven't gotten around to really watching a lot of "What's New Scooby Doo" though.

And I really liked the first Scooby Doo live action movie. I thought it was adorable. And funny.

Bottom Line: Yeah, I love Scooby Doo. Even if it is ridiculously corny.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I'm kinda neutral towards the show. I remember not liking the regular show, but I did enjoy some of the ones with celebrity crossovers. I also remember liking "A pup named Scooby Doo" as a kid, but it was miles from being one of my favorites. One of my favorite movies from them was the one where Shaggy turns into a werewolf. I don't remember seeing or caring about the other movies. I didn't bother with the live adaptations. So my likes and dislikes sort of even out.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
uneek said:
CODE-D said:
Leemaster777 said:
I like the new show
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc on cartoon network and hope its new season starts. It actually gives the characters character and has an overarching plot. Plus its actually funny.

I do like the old scooby but they are really dated.
I do like that art style. I really would like to get into it, but I was really turned of when I found out Velma and Shaggy were dating. Is it possible for there to be a show where no one wants to bone anyone?
I actually liked their relationship mostly because it ended badly because shaggy couldnt choose between her and scooby. She is then very hurt....."your choosing a dog over me?!"
Plus it has continuity so we see how bitter she is towards him after...
I found it funny.