Poll: Do you like the British Royal Family?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I was recently speaking to a group of Japanese people and it recently occurred to me everyone in this country thinks the royal family is loved by every member of the British public. I denied this, stating there were plenty of people that don't care. However, I wasn't able to give a percentage as to how much.

So, simple question to both Brits and non-Brits - do you like them?

I guess this is a perfect time to ask the question, seeing that a new member has come to be very recently.

EDIT:

carlsberg export said:
Maybe there should be a 'neutral' option?
I consider 'neutral' to be under the heading 'don't like' as in 'don't care for'.

'Don't like' doesn't mean the same as 'I hate' in this case.

Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nah, fucking leeches living off taxpayers. Can't believe the Brits are still putting up with them.

EDIT: For the record I hate royalty in general. Did any of you guys catch the news about that idiot Spanish king shooting endangered wildlife in Africa while Spain goes through the worst economic crisis the country has ever suffered, with an unemployment rate of over 20%? Fucking pests, all of them.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Nope. Not British and have no idea what their deal is. Also apparently they get tax money. Why? Are they that vital to the country?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Define 'like'. I don't have anything against them as people (in fact I actually quite like William and Harry) but the institution of the Royal Family is something I have a fundamental disagreement with. And before any Royalists decide to try and put me in my place and tell me why I'm wrong then just save your breath. I've heard it all before.

I also find the way people fawn over them over every little thing pathetic and embarrassing. Alistair Stewart from ITV News described William & Kate leaving the hospital 'one of the most remarkable moments I've seen in my forty years of journalism' or words to that effect. That is beyond ridiculous, all they did was walk out of a hospital with their baby, something plenty of couples do in this country every day. I don't care if he's third in line to the throne, there's nothing remarkable about it.

And quick question to people outside the Commonwealth with monarchies? Do the people in your country get this worked up over the Royal Family anywhere as much as we do? I feel we're alone in this but I could be wrong.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't like any royal family.

The fact that we still have royalty in this day and age is something I find fucking ridiculous.

Also, when did the British royal family become the royal family of Earth?

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I'm Irish and live in the North of Ireland, so going by that it goes without saying, I hate the royal family, but also because as a republican, I find the idea of a monarchy nowadays to be outdated and backward, mostly because they contribute nothing to society, they're just a bunch of tax dodgers who live off taxpayer's money

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Canadian and don't really care (As none of our tax money goes to support them), though I did jokingly refer to them as Englands' National Pets the other day (Specifically that Prince Charles couldn't even handle being a national pet)... so perhaps my thoughts on them aren't that great...

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Well, I don't know them personally but they just seem like harmless rich people nowadays.

I'm Irish so obviously there have been historical issues with the British monarchy but they aren't REALLY a monarchy anymore.
As far as I know, it's more like a ceremonial position, like the Irish Presidency. They have to rubber stamp everything but, in reality, they're just there to smile and cut ribbons.

They're just there to draw tourists. They don't seem to really DO anything apart from say "hello" at Christmas, wave at the plebs and eat swans.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hazy992 said:
And quick question to people outside the Commonwealth with monarchies? Do the people in your country get this worked up over the Royal Family anywhere as much as we do? I feel we're alone in this but I could be wrong.
No you are not.

Over here in Holland we recently had the crown being passed to the next generation. The moment it got announced the actual coronation was still a good 6 to 8 months away, yet during that time the media just wouldn't shut up about it.

On the total opposite is Belgium who also had a coronation recently, but nobody there really seemed to give a shit about it or the monarchy in general. Which begs the question why they still even have one.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Hazy992 said:
No you are not.

Over here in Holland we recently had the crown being passed to the next generation. The moment it got announced the actual coronation was still a good 6 to 8 months away, yet during that time the media just wouldn't shut up about it.

On the total opposite is Belgium who also had a coronation recently, but nobody there really seemed to give a shit about it or the monarchy in general. Which begs the question why they still even have one.
Well it's good to know we're not the only ones to get overzealous over this sort of thing. Or bad, depending on how you look at it :/

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I'm British, and for the most part, I'm neutral towards the Royal Family.

I don't like them; but I don't hate them, either.

I'm mostly bored by them, but that's not their fault - that's down to the tabloids.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Bit difficult to answer that with how it's worded.

I'm British and I'm a Republican (Americans might want to look that up). I can't agree with Monarchy as a system no matter how well it's working. It's pure principle; an elected head of state is better for the country than a system of heredity or appointment. It doesn't have to be an enormous localisation of power like an American style system either. You can construct an elected position that carries much the same duties as the current Monarch, i.e. predominantly diplomatic and ceremonial. And you don't need the hassle of elections every 4 or 5 years; you could make it a longer term like 20 years, or even life (say give Parliament the power to call an election before then for times of public disfavour).

But as for whether I like them. Well, I don't dislike them. The way Lizzy carries things out is totally fine by me. I mean she seems to keep herself out of the party politics, which is good. And I have nothing but good wishes for the happy couple. So yeah, I suppose you could say I like them. Sort of.

Be nice if they could pay a liiitle bit more tax though, wouldn't it?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Eh, there all right I guess.

I don't care about them much, but they bring in more money to the country than they take out, plus we get days off because of them, and a day off is always good.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
British and I'm meh. The younger ones I seem to warm to more, they seem a lot more down to Earth and more likeable.
It's not them I dislike but the mindless prats that queued for hours outside the hospital just so they could be nosey.
Those people that absolutely worship them even though they do so little for us, it makes me embarrassed to think of all the tools here that take days off work just to stand very slightly near them.

I do wish them the best, I just don't think they're needed. I suppose if we're making more in tourist attraction than we are spending on them we'll have to stick with them.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm British, and I'm OK with them, for the most part. What I genuinely dislike is the media's continual simpering around the Royal Family whenever anything happens to or around them.

However, here's something we should do... bring back elective monarchy, for a limited term for each one, where they'll go up and down the country saying how they should be king/queen for a while and then see how much shit they can wreck! Wouldn't that be so much better? Oh wait... >_> ...

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I don't mind the current Queen but living in a constitutional monarchy is absolutely ridiculous in the 21st century. Everyone who says the EU is undemocratic but is ok with the monarchy & house of lords is so insanely hypocritical. I guess I can tolerate the royals if they aren't in the media at all, which is rarer these days.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Needs more options.
I'm British and...
I mean, it's a little annoying people won't shut up about them when something happens in their lives. But you sort of learn to live with it here.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I think the OP's poll options are a bit extreme one way or the other- what about the middle ground?

I'm generally supportive of the royal family, but considering we've had a diamond jubilee, a royal wedding and now a royal birth all in around the space of one year i'm getting a bit tired of all the news coverage. I'd have rather they'd waited a year or two before going for a baby and instead it all hits you at once.