Poll: Do you listen to rap?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Not that much, except for a Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip album (and I do really love that, even though it is a touch pretentious) the only rap I listen to very often are the Slipknot songs that Corey raps in. That said, when I'm drunk I have a habit of putting on classic stuff like Run DMC or NWA. I like it, but it's not really the kind of thing I'm going to walk around listening to. I guess, being a fairly well off British white kid I never really connected with the whole thing like I did with say, metal.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
ahh mos def, rap for scared white people.

but nah, does that one time i accidentally clicked on a kid rock song count?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
All the time, just nothing on the radio nowadays, I tend to stick to the old school, Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Biggie and Tupac, etc. Today's rap has a serious lack of lyrical content and originality, all of today's rap is about swag and bitches and self glorification, even worse is when you here rappers talk about the thug life and being gangsters, then going to their wiki page and finding out they group up in a suburb in Montana or some shit, which is another huge problem it modern rap, a complete lack of authenticity.

There are exceptions of course, Lupe Fiasco and Kendrick Lamar are pretty damn good, and Nas has recently come out with some new stuff after being pretty absent from the rap game for a while, so I haven't lost hope in the rap of the present and future.

Plus anyone who has ever laughed at a Krispy Kreme video needs to hear this, big suprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UTzZv8z0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I answered yes because there is not an option that closely mirrors my true feelings on Rap.

In reality, I don't actively hunt it out. If it's on the radio, I do not turn the channel.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Like the other people that have posted already, every now and then.

Lupe Fiasco is really good, and I've always liked Eminem (have to say I prefer his more serious, newer stuff than that whole "Slim Shady" thing though).
So, Marshal Mathers? :p

OT: I quite like rap, but I usually listen to those artists who are non-mainstream or defy the mainstream, like Tech N9ne, Hopsin, Eminem, The Beastie Boys, or Tyler the Creator.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I do listen to rap music, only that mine is sorted alphabetically and comes mostly on vinyl. The mainstream rap crap of the past decade I find little joy in or use for.

Here, spot Busta:

<youtube=d_Lw72JggSE>

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I answered yes because i have listened and liked some rap.
But it's not a genre i keep coming back as much as others. I still listen to it from time to time.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
No. But then again I dont like most music with lyrics in general, and if I do, it would be good enough without it anyway.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I don't listen to rap. The closest I get to it is Epic Rap Battle of History and one FantomenK song. I'm primarily a metalhead, but I also listen to electric, jazz, swing, classic rock and classical.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
shrekfan246 said:
Like the other people that have posted already, every now and then.

Lupe Fiasco is really good, and I've always liked Eminem (have to say I prefer his more serious, newer stuff than that whole "Slim Shady" thing though).
So, Marshal Mathers? :p

OT: I quite like rap, but I usually listen to those artists who are non-mainstream or defy the mainstream, like Tech N9ne, Hopsin, Eminem, The Beastie Boys, or Tyler the Creator.
Ahhhh, you're so funny man, you should be a comedian, goddamn!

:p

The Beastie Boys and Tech N9ne are all right too, don't listen to them with any sort of regularity though.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im mainly a Heavy Metal/Classical kind of guy but abit of Bone Crusher every now and then doesn't hurt.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Say what you will about his personality, Kanye West is a pretty amazing artist. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was my second favourite album of the decade. Right behind Is This It.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Not really, but I do like Tupac. I rarely listen to it, but I like it on those occasions I hear it.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
PunkRex said:
Im mainly a Heavy Metal/Classical kind of guy but abit of Bone Crusher every now and then doesn't hurt.
When you say Classical, do you mean orchestral stuff? If so,

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Generally speaking no, but then again I generally can't tell when I'm listening to rap most of the time.