Poll: Do you listen to rap?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sixcess said:
Only when I'm playing GTA: San Andreas, so I guess that'd be a no.
That game takes place at the time I was in high school, so yes; and that game has some of my favorites: Nothin but a G Thang, Gorillas in the Mist, but I always wondered why it didn't have Fuck the Police...it was certainly fitting for the plot. Another song that would've been great in San Andreas (but it came out later) is 2 Guns Up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGTH3ZR_oQg
So yea, I dig gangsta rap.
But it doesn't have to be, I love the rap in Gorillaz. I guess the most recent rapper I've been turned on to is Dan Bull; Miracle of Sound retweeted his Borderlands2 rap and I was an instant fan. This however is my favorite work of his.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qcQ4OElhM
(the Rick Santorum bit cracks me up every time:
I look like someone from a Star Trek fan forum
What's my name *****, it's Rick Santorum)

Also his Skyrim Bard rap is epic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leLgke1jp4k

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Almost forgot to mention the Beastie Boys. They got me into hip-hop music and out of my narrow-minded mentality that all hip-hop was the trash I heard on the radio. It was actually various mashups of them with Daft Punk that did the trick.
Dangit2019 said:
Nouw said:
Most recently I've been hooked onto Power by Kanye West, beautiful song
Just listen to the album. Seriously, I don't care how much of a douchebag he is, or all the sampling he does, my advice to you is to listen to the rest of My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy. You won't regret it.
I plan to listen to the full album on Youtube, if it's available. It's a concept album so I'm going to hear it as it was intended.

And funny you mention sampling, because I fucking love Kanye's sampling when it's done well. Take POWER as an example with its brilliant use of King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man.' Not only does he use the title vocals, in a parallel to the original song, he also uses 'neuro-scream,' and manipulates it to sound almost like 'no sleep.' It took me ages to find out which part of the song he had used.

Going back to Graduation and his sampling of HBFS of Daft Punk. He gave them recognition in the album cover, subtlety because it's Daft Punk :p, a cameo in the music video and he performed with them at the Grammys. How many hip-hop artists, let alone musicians, give their sample artist that kind of recognition? +Respect.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Yes. I listen to a lot of the more seasoned rappers (i.e. Jay-Z, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, etc.) as well as some of the newer ones (though not technically new, i.e. Kanye West, Pharell, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, etc.).

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I listen to a lot of rap and hip-hop. Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, Busdriver, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aesop Rock, and Cunninlynguists to name a few.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Of course I listen to Hip-hop, if you say a whole genre is shit you are no better than the "Metal sux, listen to Lady Gaga" crowd.

I feel as though Hip-hop is making a resurgance in recent years as there has been quite a few good releases. I dislike Eminem and all that ilk but I do really enjoy the genre.

Well Known but excellent old-skool Hip-hop for those who want to get into the genre...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Vault101 showed me a guy who's pretty damn good, too.
oh hey! I didnt notice the credit....thanks!

also
forogt to post some Omar Linx

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
PunkRex said:
Thanks for this, sounds awesome sauce!
It's called Symphonic Metal. Basically, it's a metal band plus an orchestra. The 2 biggest bands are Epica and Nightwish; both of which have tons of albums.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Does this count as rap?
If so then yes, if not than no. I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap. I like some music in my music.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Say what you will about his personality, Kanye West is a pretty amazing artist. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was my second favourite album of the decade. Right behind Is This It.
Yeah he may be a massive douche but he knows his music. I do like a good amount of rap music but it isn't my favorite genre, most of the artists I like I found through game soundtracks like NBA 2K and GTA.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I owuldn't call it one of my mainstay genres, but lesse..

k-os, Metermaids, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Busdriver, Macklemore (check out stuff other then Thrift Shop before dismissing him as a novelty), Greydon Square, Lupe Fiasco, Dope DOD, NASA. Soem of the older style stuff like Beasties, NWA, DMC, Cypress and all that too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TehCookie said:
If so then yes, if not than no. I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap. I like some music in my music.
you dont get to choose what is and isn't music...it is music

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Vault101 said:
TehCookie said:
I know, farting can be considered music. I just like mine to have tones, rhythms and beats.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Not as such no. However, Kanye West is making me rethink my opinions on rap. I think I'll just not vote because neither answer accurately reflects my position.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Naa it all sounds the same to me. To me. I want to put an emphasis on that.

NightowlM said:
Who knew? People on the Escapist are not fans of rap. Also, they like heavy metal music because that is the best kind of music ever. There are no blindspots here. We don't understand (c)rap, therefore it is garbage/not music.

Guy who posted the Aesop Rock video: you are awesome.
Metal was mentioned 12 time in this thread and you where one of them. I think Classical was mentioned almost as much. Most people that said they didn't like it said just that. They don't like it.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Sometimes.

Most of what I hear is combined with R&B. But there's a few people/songs I enjoy listening to.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
TehCookie said:
Vault101 said:
TehCookie said:
I know, farting can be considered music. I just like mine to have tones, rhythms and beats.
Rap has all those things. Don't know what you've been listening to, but it's clearly not the same stuff I've been.