TehCookie said:
AnarchistFish said:
TehCookie said:
AnarchistFish said:
TehCookie said:
I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap.
huh??
they're exactly the same thing..
Is a person rapping over a rock music rap or rock?
Both. Rap rock is a hybrid genre. And it's not one which is done well that often. But rapping isn't particularly a genre in itself. It's like calling screaming a genre.
So you realize rapping and the genre rap aren't the same thing?
They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Sixcess said:
Only when I'm playing GTA: San Andreas, so I guess that'd be a no.
Same as you buddy. Although I did tend to prefer K-Rose over the other stations.

OT: there's only a couple of Rap songs I actually enjoy so no not really.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
TehCookie said:
AnarchistFish said:
TehCookie said:
AnarchistFish said:
TehCookie said:
I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap.
huh??
they're exactly the same thing..
Is a person rapping over a rock music rap or rock?
Both. Rap rock is a hybrid genre. And it's not one which is done well that often. But rapping isn't particularly a genre in itself. It's like calling screaming a genre.
So you realize rapping and the genre rap aren't the same thing?
They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.
Hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop, which is why people say rap to referring to rapping hip hop, which is a more specific genre. Which is why people specify when it's not hip hop, as you shown above with rap rock.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
I used to have a weird stigma against rap when I was younger, as I tried to fit with my friends, who were goths and had a weird theory that rap would immediately turn you into a chav.

But then I listened to some rap and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it!. So yes, I'd consider myself a fan of rap. Then again, I like most musical genres when they're done well.
My experiences were much the same! Did you guys have goth vs chav fights too?

Rap wasn't something my mates or family listened to much, so I wasn't exposed to it much. But, every now and then I'll find one I like, and that's cool.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
username sucks said:
I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.
I thought that was dubstep-ish, not really rappy?
I'm not really a fan of either, so I couldn't really accurately judge, although I did like that song....

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Nope. I can't stand rap, and I've had friends who called me out for not giving it a try. And then I tell them I've been trying to find rap I like for fifteen years, and it hasn't worked. And then they shut up. I've actually found songs I would love if the rap wasn't in it (Coming Home and Libera Me From Hell spring to immediate mind).

Oct 10, 2011
Patrick Buck said:
username sucks said:
I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.
I thought that was dubstep-ish, not really rappy?
I'm not really a fan of either, so I couldn't really accurately judge, although I did like that song....
About 70% of that song is Gav rapping with dubstep in the background. He even said himself that it was a mix of rap and dubstep.

I also just realized that I frequently liten to raps by the Gorrilaz.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Rap is a lyrical style commonly associated with hip-hop. Rap is not a genre. Hip-hop is a genre. Yes I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop. Currently I'm a big supporter of the Doomtree hip-hop collective from Minneapolis, MN consisting of: LAZERBEAK, Paper Tiger, POS, Mike Mictlan, Cecil Otter, Sims and Dessa. Recently I've been diggin' Macklemore and Kendrick Lamar.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
socialtangent said:
Anyone who claims to hate rap as a genre just hasn't looked hard enough. If you look enough, you'll find something from pretty much any genre of music that you'll like. Doesn't matter if it's just a single song, or a single artist. The only person you're hurting is yourself if you decide to close yourself off to music without giving it an honest chance.

More on topic, yes, I listen to rap. Wu-Tang Clan, Kanye West, Eminem, Del the Funky Homosapien, and Mos Def are among my favorites. George Watsky and EpicLloyd are also great rappers that produce Youtube content on a somewhat regular basis.
I have said this before but, I am not going to go looking in the sewer for a diamond ring. Yeah someone likely flushed one at some point, but why would I wade though miles of shit to find that one thing that is not shit? I am much better off going to a diamond mine. And what I mean by that is a genre I actually like. I might find a rap song some day that I like but I'm not looking.

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
Man, I don't understand a lot of peoples problem with rap. Is it disliking it purely because it's in the mainstream? Or is there something I am missing that proves it's crap? Anyway, it's been a pretty good read and it has introduced me too some pretty cool artists so cheers people!

Anyway, I don't know if you would call this Rap or Hip Hop or whatever the bloody hell else there is but I'm going to leave it here anyway.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Katatori-kun said:
While I don't wish to be mean to you personally I find your ther.... hypos..... assertion. Well, lacking in a basic understanding of how the Human Brain works. The super abridged version is you don't see the world in the same way as the guy next to you. You think differently then him, you perceive diffidently then him, you notice diffident things then him. Why you notice different things is you are exposed to different things more often then him. You got exposed to rap more and stared noticing the differences more.

It's not that rap is optimistic and Rock is pessimistic and somehow you where "enlightened" to understand things more. No your brain just stared noticing X more then it did Y. You started caring about the Beat more then the rift, you stared caring about the story the guy was telling rather then the way he was telling it. And a million other differences. Your not more enlightened because you see the world in a different way then you use to.

RhombusHatesYou said:
ITT: Metalheads spout the same 'ignorant shit' they're always crying about people who don't like metal are "always making".

HTFU, princesses.
This is a simple case of Confirmation Bias you want to see people who don't like the same things as you as being ignorant of it. When most of the replays that say they don't like rap have said just that. They don't like it. Yeah there have been some ignorant responses that say "Rap is Crap" and the like, but they are the exception not the rule.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Eddie the head said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
ITT: Metalheads spout the same 'ignorant shit' they're always crying about people who don't like metal are "always making".

HTFU, princesses.
This is a simple case of Confirmation Bias you want to see people who don't like the same things as you as being ignorant of it.
Interesting logic there, bunkie.

I didn't accuse people of being ignorant, I accused them of being the hypocrits they are.

Come back again when you have a real argument.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
there might be the odd song i might like, but for the most part no, i prefer rock and the like

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I like rap. If it has a good beat and flowing rhyme anyway. Which means that I'm not fond of half the rappers currently on air, but then I don't really care about that. I don't listen to rap to hear about which 'niggas' got shot or what'll happen if I disagree with the rapper's opinion, but I do find entertainment in a good rap. I also like rock and metal and all that. My YouTube history is often a mix of Eminem, Ludacris, Kanye West, Rob Zombie, Zeromancer, Metallica, and sometimes I like to blur the line and just listen to Hollywood Undead. A lot.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Broken Blade said:
Nope. I can't stand rap, and I've had friends who called me out for not giving it a try. And then I tell them I've been trying to find rap I like for fifteen years, and it hasn't worked. And then they shut up. I've actually found songs I would love if the rap wasn't in it (Coming Home and Libera Me From Hell spring to immediate mind).
...The rap MADE Libera Me From Hell. It'd be boring as shit otherwise.