Poll: Do you live alone or with roommates?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Flatmates. Roommates in New Zealand implies you live (Or just sleep) in the same room. I tried living alone for a week, but got bored incredibly fast with no one to talk to (Yes, there's the phone and the net, but it's not the same).

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I live with my husband, three dogs, and a fish in our own house. I don't count him or the pets as a roommates really because I actually enjoy their company. I don't enjoy having roommates or even extended-visit house-guests (whether acquaintances or family). I generally want them out of my house as soon as possible.

When my husband leaves for some work or union business for a week or two, I don't invite anyone over even though they always ask me to, then again, they never call or drop by even though they threaten to do so. When my husband can't be here, I very much prefer my own company or the company of my animals.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I currently live with family, though I lived alone for about 3 years previously and I really enjoyed having my own place. Unfortunately finances wouldn't allow me to live reasonably well if I chose to go out and live alone.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
My area isn't really conducive to living alone. At one point I was paying $900 for the privilege of living with a roommate in a one bedroom apartment. He was paying $750 for the privilege of living inside the walk-in closet.

For Russians it's pretty acceptable to live with your folks until you're married, so I opted to save my money and move back two years later. Not as bad as it sounds, I have a separate studio, so it's kind of cozy.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I live with a ferret, a snake, 8 tarantulas and a bunch of other invertebrates.

I moved on my own when I was 18 and pretty much immediately got my first tarantula since my mom (Or maybe more her husband)had an issue with venomous animals.

I wouldn't mind getting married and moving together with someone eventually, but I'd still need privacy.
Although, if I moved together with someone, our house would at least have rooms for both to do their own thing.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Alone. No plants, no pets, no companionship, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I'm going into my second year of university in the fall so counting that, yes I will be living with roommates. Right now, I'm in a single so I'm alone.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Alone, in my nice cozy single for the schoolyear, and then with family for the winter and summer breaks.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I live with 4 other people and I don't really get on with them, so I'm looking forward to later this year when I move in with some friends I've lived with before.

How can everyone afford to live alone? I was convinced that everyone here fitted the gamer stereotype of a 20-something unemployed male...

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I live alone and it's great. Sure, I miss the companionship of my old housemates and having other people who help clean the place. But now that I have the freedom of a whole apartment to myself, it is fantastic.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Living with family currently, but that's going downhill pretty quickly so I plan on grabbing two of my closest friends and shacking up together in some house or condo or something. That'll be in order when I have my own car though.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I live with three housemates - one guy I'm good friends with and two others who I get on with but we're not mates. As much as I don't exactly get on with everyone, I still enjoy living with people other than my family. Living with 4 completely new people next year though, which should be cool. I don't know about living with housemates for the rest of my life, but for now I'm comfortable with it.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Currently with my family, in a separated part of the house, so it's alright with the privacy.
I could not imagine living by myself though, but mostly for my own mental well-being, so a flatmate or part of a small (5ish) community would be perfect.

Captcha just told me "miss you".

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Your poll needs "I live with a significant other".
I live with three terrible roommates.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I currently live with family. Specifically with my mom and brother.

And I would very much like to live alone. I'm counting on that some day.

BandicootPower

Jun 14, 2012
I rent a flat with three other students and we split the rent between the four of us. We all get on really well and don't tread on each others toes too much. We're not exactly close friends and we all move in different social circles but I think it makes for a great dynamic. I don't get any drama of people falling out and what not spilling into my home life this way. Gives me more "time out" than when living with close friends or a parter and way more independence and freedom than living with family.
Saying all of that though, as much as I like living with others, I really can't wait until I can afford to live by myself just so I have a place I can call my own.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
DoPo said:
Eleuthera said:
I always used to use "flatmate" as well, but people (mostly Americans) never understood what I meant
Well, they should just learn to speak English, don't they? Bloody foreigners - they think once they've come here, they can just dictate all the rules.

:p
That made me laugh when I read it. I involuntarily picked up the words "flat" and "lift" after watching Sherlock in the timespan of one weekend.

My situation is still kind of new actually, I live with my brother and two roomates.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Had a roommate, but he had to leave for finacial reasons. Now I am stuck paying for the whole room as nobody wants to move in at this point.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
I'm at uni so live with five other friends in a big house. It's not your typical student shithole though, it's a normal suburban house, with the downside of being an hours walk from campus. Live with three girls and two other guys, and it's ok. We all get on, but unfortunately my tastes don't really cross over with theirs with most things. It's pretty annoying listening to One Direction and the like before a night out, but I get over it.

During the holidays I live at home with my parents, which is fine.

I'm not sure how I'd cope living alone. On the one hand I'm pretty good at keeping myself entertained, on the other I've noticed I really suffer without human contact. Last semester I decided to stop wasting my time watching TV programs I don't like (my housemates spent all their time glued to the TV watching X Factor and the like), and the side effect of that was spending far less time with my housemates. I started to feel pretty excluded from their group for some reason, and spent loads of time alone in my room, and I guess I started feeling pretty down.

This term it's back to normal though, and I'm hanging out with them a lot again. Not having that option to go talk to someone whenever would be hard I think.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Still live at home. Only me and my mom left and we only see each other for an hour tops/day, so it's not that bad.
I'll be moving out as soon as I get a job. Just gotta get my damn drivers license first... Going pretty slow at the moment due to this annoying fucking winter.

Would only get a room mate if I was struggling financially I think. Living alone suits me better.