Poll: Do you love your parents?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sonofadiddly said:
I grew up with the belief that if someone was family, you had to love them, automatically. Realizing that I didn't even love my parents was a bit of a shock. Truth is, they've done little to earn any affection from me at all.

I know that sounds horribly depressing, but I'm really much better off now that I've realized that it's okay to not love them. I love plenty of other people.
That puts it better than I could. I just can't automatically love someone, don't understand how that works.

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
Well I hardly ever see my dad since he's a workaholic, so nothing I can say there. My mum on the other hand, I'm getting a bit fed up with. Since I'm the youngest in the family, she always thinks that I'm incompetent and can't do anything by myself. She supports me in most of my decisions (like doing a language course by distance ed), but it's getting on my nerves with how she thinks I can't be independent. Who knows, maybe something will magically work out. Hopefully.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Absolutely, my Dad, Mam and sister are the most important people to me.

Although for the most part I couldn't give a toss about any extended family, my plethora of cousins, uncles, aunts etc... I stopped pretending to give a shit as soon as I was old enough to say I wasn't going to traipse to the other end of the country every time some fucker had a birthday or wedding or something.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
You love your parents for what they do for you, but you don't have to like them as people.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I love my parents, but I have to live across the country from them. Honestly, my mother seems to believe she has the right to comment on, criticize or change ANYTHING about me that she does not entirely approve of. For my own survival as an individual human being, I had to run away. So I left home. At age 18. And I keep in contact and I visit, but... well, I am angry about what my mum has done to me in the past, and while I love her, it will never happen again.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
My mom. My dad is the reason why I have high blood pressure. Hypocrite to the power of n.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
My mum is a nice gal and all, but I don't love her.
I don't really love anyone. Or anything. I have not the capacity for love.

My dad is, uh. Well, kind of a piece of shit. But like with my mum and love, I don't really hate him. For the same reasons.

I imagine if I was a human being with hopes and dreams and emotions and all that jazz instead of a hollow imitation of such, I would probably love/hate my mum/dad.
But I am not. So I don't.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I really don't love my parents. I don't really hate my dad, but I don't really like him. I find him awfully vain, ego-maniacal, ignorant, unfunny and just generally unintelligent. I don't really like my mother at all and I'm probably close to hating her. She is just one screw up after another. Divorce, being with a guy who hates kids, moving far away, being childish in attitude and overly emotional and, as shallow as it sounds, buying gifts that look like she put no thought into what I'd like. My big brother and his girlfriend spent less for Christmas and got a gift I'm still using today. Hers...Well...It's either dumped somewhere around my room gathering dust or it was used and thrown out (which was some limited edition bottle of whiskey, if she asked I would of told her I hate whiskey, I gave it to my dad in the end).

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Yeah, I do- They're great people. I don't really 'get along' with them, as you put it- our opinions and beliefs are basically polar in nature- but I still love them.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
My parents are among the few people I feel I can rely on, and they have sacrificed a lot for both me and my brother. We get on really well and even though I live in Nottingham at the moment and they live in Leeds, both of them send me at least a text just to say good morning or goodnight, and they call once a week just so they know how everyone is. Its amazing how a 10 minute phone call makes you feel better. My parents always wanted whats best for us and never wanted an upbringing like they had.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Why of course I do love my parents.

Sure, my dad is a doctor who is always tired because he is sometimes forced to go up 4:00 AM due to some accident, and yes my parents don't live together so I only have to "put up" with one parent at a time...

But, if it weren't for my dad, I wouldn't been born, and I sure am glad he didn't masturbate that night :O

And on a sidenote, I love mother equally much, although it can get annoying sometimes.

CowboyfromHell666

Jan 14, 2010
Yes I do, I love my mom to death. She is awesome. Sure we can not get along at times and get pissed at each other, but she's my damn mom dude.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I used to not get along with my parents at all, but I've never hated them. Now that I'm a bit older (and no longer living in the same house - that helped a lot) I'm getting along with them a lot better.

Of course I love my parents. It's only natural, right? And as many reasons as they have given me not to like them in the past, none of those were bad enough to change that.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I love my father for everything, he is the greatest man I have known, and my mother for some things.

She left us though, and while I can forgive her for myself I can never forgive her for leaving my brothers.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Yes. But I try not to be at their house for more than a couple of weeks at a time; doesn't work out well.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Hell no, I hate them to the point of having sewered all contacts the moment I was legally allowed to do so.