Poll: Do you mute the in-game music and play your own?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
GiantRaven said:
No. Sound design in games is too important for me to discard it.
This ^^^

I can't imagine replacing in game music with my own, unless you're welcomed to in some cases where there's no music otherwise, rare exceptions.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
depends on the game to be honest, if they obviously put no damn effort or even thought into the music other than getting big named artists to boost sales then i turn the music off, else i leave it on, im looking at you burnout paradise and others with annoying track lists.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Really depends on the game in question. If it's a story based game like an RPG, NEVER! I might play a little light metal in the background but not to the extent that it covers the game sound.

However if its an mmorpg like WoW? Oh yeah, the music gets blasted until the headset jumps off my head with vibration.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
zidine100 said:
depends on the game to be honest, if they obviously put no damn effort or even thought into the music other than getting big named artists to boost sales then i turn the music off, else i leave it on, im looking at you burnout paradise and others with annoying track lists.
Soundtracks like Burnout are one of the few cases where I do turn off the music and play my own. It just feels like the lazy way of generating music for a game. I make an exception to some of the Tony Hawk's games though because I've found some great bands that way.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
The only time I play video games with the game volume turned down is on Tuesdays, between 6pm and 8pm. Because that's when my friend has his radio show, and that is always hilarious to have in the background. And then I only turn down the Music, I let the sound effects still be on.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Sometimes I'd play the first FEAR game with a soundtrack of Tenacious D and Bo Burnham. Took all suspense out of the game. And I'd play Star Wars: Battlefront with whatever tunes were my favourites at the time.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Usually.

I play a lot of games by paradox entertainment and I've found myself muting the game music completely, then putting on the music of old paradox games instead since the stuff they make themselves is so arse that I don't see how anyone could stand it.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Depends on the game
I have been playing 4 games as of late:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
Demon's Souls (still haven't finished it)
Bioshock

Asscreed Bro doesn't have music played over it

WoW sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. Depends on how sick of the zone music I get. Usually some form of ambient/drone music. Death metal for dungeons.

Demon's Souls DEATH METAL ALL THE TIME. Perfect demon's souls music.

Bioshock I would never dream of playing music over.

See a trend emerging here? Generally stuff where the sound design is more intricate and fundamentally tied into the gameplay experience has the game's sound and stuff where the sound is not quite so important gets music over it, especially Demon's Souls, death metal just goes too goddamn well with that game. http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZj9thqvWKQE&start1=&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhU8AqTYz-8Q%26feature%3Drelated&start2=&authorName=Not+Sure

^ See for yourself

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Well I do for games like minecraft where noise isn't crucial to the game and I still have the ambient/monster sounds on so it doesn't ruin my game..

For all other games I don't because I just know that Sabaton will come on just as one of the main characters dies and the beach boys will come and play some tunes when the actions going down..

Silly shuffle.. But yeah, if my I-pod could sync what music it plays to game events it would be good, playing ghost division whilst charging down machine gun positions with panthers in Company of Heroes.. awesome..
(sits in his chair in a dreamy state for a while..)

EDIT: It can totally ruin some games though where atmosphere is key, like Amnesia or even COD/Halo..

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Not often, no.
More often than not the music is there because it fits with the game, and putting music on just leads to disputes of genre and such.

calvincaplan

Jun 3, 2009
Some games (especially driving or sports games), yes. But I rarely play driving or sports games. Usually someone's own music ruins the atmosphere, (ie Braid or Fable which both have really great soundtracks that fit the game).
Also RTSs. Anything without a story basically.

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
Really depends on the game....Popcap type games, definitely....RPGs and such, rarely. Especially not games like Skies of Arcadia...the music in that game rocks

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Lets try. Splinter Cell Conviction and what music....

Oh my God, it's perfect!

Have to do this more often!

d3structor

Jul 28, 2009
I used to play the lord of the rings: battle for middleearth 2 with the movie soundtrack playing in the background, otherwise I usually just listen to whatever is playing.

Almost forgot, when I played city of heroes I used to listen to an online station called w00t radio.

I have found myself wishing I could play the music on the ps3 while i was playing a game so I might have been doing it more often if I could.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Normally I do, though I keep it at a low level so I can hear the other game sounds and dialogue. Games such as GTA and Fallout that have built in radio stations get tiresome after a while as they don't have enough songs to last the game.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Not usually... though some times I'll do it in TF2 or L4D to get in the mood...<.<

MetalMaz

Jan 12, 2011
Hmm, it depends how good the games soundtrack is or if I've played it too many times. For example, FFVII, I listen to the (epic) game soundtrack unless I'm running around in circles on the world map to level up (because it takes aaaaages). Game soundtrack again for things like MGS or COD, my own music for racing/fighting games.

Or, if I'm drunk I like to blast out some really heavy stuff while getting owned online.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
Lawnmooer said:
It depends on the game, in most MMO's and games that I've played enough to know every line of dialogue I will mute all sounds and play my music (Maybe leave some sound and just turn music off in some games for hit recognition)

In other games such as ones I'm following the story to, haven't played much or need sound for (TF2, Killing Floor and other multiplayer FPS games where sounds give you an edge over people who can't hear them (Footsteps or bacteria in L4D2)) I will leave the music alone and only play when my headphone batteries are charged and have at least a few hours left in them.
basically this.

tho my list of games i pay attention to the story of is different. to each their own then.